Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bring this up again...

I just bought a Memorex 9" AC/DC TV/VCR, nominally for my kids room, but also to put in the van for the occasional long trip. I ordered the Steel Horse tote/bag that holds a 9" TV/VCR, but after putting the TV/VCR in the van I realised that both the front and middle seats are too close together for the TV/VCR to go between them - so I canceled the tote. My question is - how does the Steel Horse tote strap in? If anybody who has one can send me a picture, or just describe it, I would very much appreciate it. Otherwise I'll just strap the TV/VCR to the floor, pointing up at 45 degrees.

Thanks,

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
239 Posts
I bought a 9" tv/vcr combo and a Steelhorse tote bag the following day after Thanksgiving in Target store because they were for sale that one day only. I bought them just to try it out and it fits perfectly in between the 2 fronts seats. The 2 kids love it very much. I have the kids sit in the 2nd row with their seat separated.
I strapped the bag just as instructed: 2 upper straps with one on each front head rest and 2 lower with each to strap at the meeting point of the front seat backs and front seat pads. The tote sit on the 2 front armrests too. With the tote installed, the front seaters can still have half the armrest to use.
It is not as convenient as the IVES or RES system, but hey, for under $200, can't complain anymore. By the way, we can take it to anywhere we want to, can't beat that.
I've never post picture here before, but I'll try.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lotus18 - thanks for the information. I was able to fit my TV/VCR between the two seats ABOVE the armrests, but I wasn't sure whether the tote could be fixed solidly between the two seats in that position - it looked like it might be a bit too high judging by the picture shown in the websites selling it. Anyway, you have answered my question. If you can't post a picture on this site I'd appreciate it if you could e-mail it to me at [email protected] - just so I can see what it looks like fitted.

odysman - the tote is just a carrying bag for a 9" TV/VCR that includes a set of straps that attach to the bag and allow you to strap it between two seats as lotus18 explained. The tote sells for $65-80, while a 9" AC/DC TV/VCR can be bought for anything from $150 to $280. If you're interested in the tote do an internet search on 'Steel Horse 38001'. 38001 is the model number of the tote.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
odysman - I think lotus18 meant $200 for both the TV/VCR AND the tote...

lotus18 - can you confirm that you got the tote at Target? I would rather buy from Target than over the Internet, in case I want to return it. Was it a regular Target and do they normally stock the tote? Thanks.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L

·
Registered
239 Posts
lotus18 - can you confirm that you got the tote at Target? I would rather buy from Target than over the Internet, in case I want to return it. Was it a regular Target and do they normally stock the tote?
Sorry for not reply early, have been busy finishing a deal to sell my 99' Ody EX-L.
Yes, I bought both tv combo and the tote in a regular Target store. I did not know they carry those until I saw the ad on Thanksgiving day. So I went the next day and found them in the TV section, sitting next to each other. The tv combo was sold for $150 and the tote was $49.
it looked like it might be a bit too high judging by the picture
Well, I have a 9 years old and a 5 years old. It seems to me the tv is about on the eye level for the 9 years old, and actually it is a little low for the 5 years old since he is sitting in his car seat.
However, think about the roof-mounted monitor that comes with the RES system, is that more comfortable to watch for a long trip?
Another thing to consider is the head phone jack. I noticed that most of the 9" tv combo has only one jack unless you are willing to pay for a higher priced model. I have to buy a splitter so that both kid can wear their own head set while the wife and I can enjoy our own music in front.
Since the tv tote is not sitting in the van at all time, I will find time to strap it on and take some pictures to share with you or everyone if I could figure out how to do that.
Here is what it looks like (but not in an Ody):
http://www.avdeals.com/mobilevideo/38001.htm

·
Registered
35 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lotus18:
Since the tv tote is not sitting in the van at all time, I will find time to strap it on and take some pictures to share with you or everyone if I could figure out how to do that.
I just picked up one of these for $39 at target. They were on sale already and I bought an open item and got a total of 35% off the normal $60. Not too bad.

I was looking at how best to install it and just wondered if you had any tips or suggestions. The pictures on the box and the web make it look like the straps can fit around the middle of the seat, but those must be narrow seats.

I did try looping around the headrest and through the "oh sh$t" handle on the back of the seat. I figured that would give a little extra security in case of an accident. I thought since you have had yours for a bit that you might have worked out any kinks in the installation.

Any advice is appreciated,
descentr

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have sent some photo to pearsonrj with his email address because I do not know how to post pictures in here. If you want to see the pictures, just let me know your e-mail address, I will be more than happy to show them to you.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I have sent some photo to pearsonrj with his email address because I do not know how to post pictures in here. If you want to see the pictures, just let me know your e-mail address, I will be more than happy to show them to you.</font>
If you email them to me, I'll post them on my website and link here for you, no prob.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks Shin JOhn, but how do I find your e-mail address?

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Thanks Shin JOhn, but how do I find your e-mail address?</font>
Click on my profile button (the first little logo beside the date of each post, that looks like a profile face with an equal sign and question mark) or the little mail envelope symbol next to it.

Or here:
[email protected]

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

[This message has been edited by shindog (edited 12-17-2001).]

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got my tote today and spent about half an hour fitting it between the driver and passenger seats. Fits quite nicely and holds the TV/VCR up high. Actually you can comfortably see the screen from the 3rd row seats. Now I just have to give it the 'acid test' with my kids. Doubtless my 3.5 year-old will find something wrong with it...! After that I'm all set for our New Year's trip to Las Vegas!

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks shin john, I'll email them to you tonight.
Congrat to pearsonrj for your successful installation. I am sure your kid will enjoy the trip a lot better. Yes, the 3rd seat passengers can watch it too. As a matter of fact, it happened a couple times that when the kid was watching while I was waiting for the wife to come out from the mall, some pedestrians peeped in to see what's on the screen.
The only thing I do not like about the set up is just that: the setting up. It always take at least ten minutes to set it up. But well, the wife has already complained that the kid watch too much TV. So, I just install it only occasionally for long trip.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My wife and I saw that same sale at Target and picked up the exact same thing on the same day. We installed it a little differently, though. We put the straps around the headrest and connected them to the tote snaps closest to the seat just as pictured here. The problem I had, however, was too much front to back movement so I attached the other snaps nearer to the back of the TV (front of the armrest) using the optional straps and routed them under the tray table. This seems to be the most secure for us.

One other tip - if you want to entertain the entire van, use the car adapter from a portable CD player and plug it into the headphone jack on the TV and into the cassette player and use the sound sytem of the van. Much improved sound!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts