Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some bimbo ran into my car last week (and took off--this is California) at school and left a not so pretty dent in it. It's not major, no scratched paint, but it's still ugly. I'm thinking of going at it with a toilet plunger, but I don't want to 'crease' the metal. Any suggestions? I'd like to fix it myself if possible and not have to pay some guy $200 to come pop it out. I was quite proud of my 'pocket bin' fix last week when I popped it off its hinges (had to take the whole panel out). Certainly saved some $$$ there.

Here's something to look at:

Thanks,
Michelle

------------------

• 1995 Civic Teal DX Coupe
  • 2002 RP Odyssey EXL-RES (soon!)
  • 1987 Blue Civic Sedan
  • 1990 Grey Chrysler LeBaron GTC Convertable
  • '86 Silver Toyota LE Van
  • 1967 Honda Dream Motorcycle

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Ouch! It actually looks like a difficult spot
to pop out since it's right at the trim crease. Hmmmmmmmm......only thing I can think of is those dentless repair guys.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)
http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking of them too. I just haven't been able to find one around here (have only looked on the internet). I read that they're much cheaper, and I'd like to keep the factory paint so the car fades "together".

*sigh* I guess I'll have to really butter my parents up to get this one fixed (my income is from them and it's paying this thing off). But it's not so bad, someone really did a number on our Chrysler in May. And I was just told to 'live with it'. And it really looks like crap too! Now that I think of it, every single one of our cars has been in a 'hit and run' parking lot incident, so I guess my Civic was just getting initiated into the car family.

Michelle

------------------

• 1987 Blue Civic Sedan

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
It's pretty frustrating what people do then drive away. Every car I've owned in 35 years has been damaged anonymously.

Maybe shortly after my new Ody gets here I'll just whack a door with a hammer

That way it won't be as much of a shock when some (other) idiot
does something equally mindless.

Regards, and condolences,

Maugham

------------------
'02 RP EX-L (on order)
'85 Prelude (that we'll keep forever!)

·
Registered
568 Posts
So sad!

Try not to park right next to any 2 door American full size sedan. I always pick to park next to some 4 door compact car with tiny door, just in case it swings open to hit my car door.

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats, Leather Steerling Wheel Cover, Pioneer 1655 front speakers, 1086 rear speakers, Lojack

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bjk2001:
So sad!

Try not to park right next to any 2 door American full size sedan. I always pick to park next to some 4 door compact car with tiny door, just in case it swings open to hit my car door.

</font>
.....and a 2 door GM car is the worst of the worst. The door detents on those things actually accelerate the door at certain parts of the outward travel.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, I'll start watching who I park by. I never purposely park next to mongo SUVs, but for some reason, they always like to park next to me (We figured that some SUV did the damage to our Chrysler, based on the height of the damage and the length of the scrape-the other driver took a while to notice-maybe because they were up so high????).

Michelle

------------------

• 1987 Blue Civic Sedan

·
Registered
529 Posts
This may not be any help, but might give you some hope.

Someone dinged my Mesa Beige '99 Ody worse than yours is at a golf course. Left a golf ball sized dent and scraped thru top layer of top coat (I guess) looked like my paint was gone.

Took it to Honda and got a $429 estimate and 2 day loss of car. All uninsured of course.

Took it to Carsmetics here in Tampa and they took it out completely and invisibly (and I do mean invisibly) in 45 minutes for $92.

Its a long drive to Tampa for you, but I can't believe there isn't a Carsmetics type place in your nearest big city.

I also previously had been closing my tailgate by pushing in on the "H" emblem in the center of the rear door. Bad idea!. It is beer-can thin and in short order I had it shoved in badly. I found another guy who works at car dealerships here and he drilled some holes in the side of my tailgate which he later filled unobtrusively with rubber stoppers. He inserted a variety of long levers thru the hole and very, very professionally he was able to push the dents out completely. It is impossible to see where I had shoved it in. He took about 45 minutes and charged me either $50 or $75. In any event he was more than worth it. Again, I have to think that these type guys are available in in large metropolitan center. I'd start searching the phone book or else come east for a Florida vacation.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
K, I found the Dent Doctor and Dentman. I'll have to give them a call.

Michelle

------------------

• 1987 Blue Civic Sedan

·
Registered
2 Posts
While my wife was parked at my Son's school last week, someone in a red car smashed the side of her Black CR-V and put a hell of red door ding in it! The first one in 2 years...

Anyway, in a completely unheard of action, the lady left a note with an apology, her name and phone number and asking us to please call her!

I was so impressed with her honesty, that I plan to call her and say thanks for owning up to it... I just haven't figured out how to ask her to pay for the dent to be removed after being so nice!! Maybe I'll just swallow this one myself!

I guess there are still some honest, moral people out there...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's never happened to us, but I'd be sure to be nice to someone who fessed up. My grandpa backed into my friend's car yesterday (see off topic forum for pix), and he fessed up. But insurance will probably pay for it.

Michelle

------------------

• 1987 Blue Civic Sedan

·
Registered
122 Posts
Michelle,
Also try Dent Wizard.

www.dentwizard.com

They fixed my ODY twice. Save alot of $$$$

The lower panel of the rear ODY doors are thin and can cause dings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts