Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been calling all our dealers in the Phoenix area, it seems like the Costco discount is going to be the best deal I will find (about 2k less on average then everywhere else)

My question is this. On the Costco website, it specifically says to ask the dealer to show you the Costco invoice to make sure they aren't increasing the price. It seems like they are bound to honor those prices, but when I call and ask for quotes they give me different answers. Some dealers have given me the quote I find on the Costco website, others give me higher price. One even said they exclude the Odyssey from the Costco prices because of demand. One said they only go $500 below MSRP for Costco. Does this sound right? Did anyone else use the Costco deal?

·
Registered
221 Posts
i used the costco program when we bought our '09.

in my area, san diego county, i was given ONLY one honda dealer to work with... luckily, it was the closest!

i did try other zip codes and the same dealership came up every time.

also, i was given the names of specific sales people to work with.

when i visited the dealership they were pretty much by the book. meaning, i was asked to produce my costco membership card.

afterwards, i was shown the "special" pricing and it included all the vehicle models.

the odyssey, at the time, had the biggest discount of $1500.

i remember there being another honda-to-dealer incentive at the time and i asked for that in addition to the costco deal and was refused.

i "asked" again and the dealer split it with me so, if i remember correctly, i received a total of $1750 off of invoice.

and, after completing the purchase i received $50 from costco.

joel

·
Registered
301 Posts
I tried to go through the costco program, went to the dealer and they showed me the costco pricing on the sheet that was 700 off MSRP.. I lol'd and left especially since this dealer adds their "appearance" package for $999.

A friend of mine got a two door Accord for invoice through the costco program but she went to a different dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tried to go through Costco to purchase our new Ody, as our family are loyal Costco fans. I went through the process online (I had to devulge my email and phone number) and they told me I'd get a call from the local Honda dealer. I got a call in less than 20 minutes, but they wouldn't devulge their price unless I came down in person with my costco card. I told them I didn't want to go there unless they gave me a firm price. After a few rounds of neither of us budging. I asked if they could beat the price from zag.com (consumer reports buying service) that was $300 over invoice. The salesguy sheepishly said he couldn't and we left it at that.

I love Costco but would reccommned the consumerreports.org site over costco.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We used it, it was painless and also the cheapest, the price was revealed online, brought it in and emailed with them and that was the end of it. BUT, there are only certain dealers you can use that will give you the price, don't try to bring it into another dealer, waste of time.
Should note it held up on a lease deal too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i used it recently to get quotes on a Sienna (before we decided to go with an Ody). The dealers were quick to respond, two offered prices, one told me to come in. Price quotes were good, but not as good as I got via USAA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What would invoice be on a 2011 Touring Elite? Anyone know?

·
Registered
39 Posts
We purchased our 2011 Touring for $38,050 (Invoice) + $200 (Costco pricing) with Rancho Santa Margarita Honda. No issue, they honored Costco pricing system. This is my 4th vehicle purchased through Costco's program. Its hassle free.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The website lists the Elite at about 40k, the dealer said it would be 1k over invoice, so 41k. I think this is what the true Costco prive is. Every dealer in our area said they were Costco affiliates, though Costco said only 2 where. One tried to tell me the Costco price was $500 below MSRP.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
No dealers showing up in central Texas. I guess I could open it up some and see if something exists in Houston or Dallas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try calling them, they will get your zip and list dealers nearest you. The phone support was great, they followed up to make sure the dealer showed me the right paperwork and explained exactly how it should all work.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The Houston dealer initially said it would be $1000 off MSRP. They then back tracked and said they could only take $200 off! All the dealers are hurting with inventory so low due to the earthquake over in Japan. At least that is the reason they keep using. The dealer lots in general are all very low of stock.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Houston dealer initially said it would be $1000 off MSRP. They then back tracked and said they could only take $200 off! All the dealers are hurting with inventory so low due to the earthquake over in Japan. At least that is the reason they keep using. The dealer lots in general are all very low of stock.
It is really the worst time to be buying one of these, I got really lucky because a co-worker is friends with the owner of the place I went to. They happened to have the exact model I wanted in a color combo I liked (I didn't need Nav but glad I got it) and gave me a great price. Got in on the .9 financing and very happy. I would have tried to get the Touring if there was no earthquake in Japan, would have had a much better time negotiating and much more inventory on dealer lots. The dealer I went to did not have any Tourings, just one Elite and two EX-L's w NAVI/RES but no EX-L's.

All the other dealers I went to had extremely low inventory with only about one model each of the EX-L trims (NAV/RES or neither). Costco program dealer I went to said $700 off MSRP and that was it. This was for just an EX-L, told them I would give them 32,500 for it and they finally agreed but said car has their "standard" appearance pkg which is $1k, I just walked out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Costco, AAA, and NFCU all offer buying services that I looked into several years ago. I was not impressed with the discounts offered, and with every car that I've purchase for myself or a friend or family member, I have been able to negotiate a better price than what the service offered, often by a substantial amount.

One key to negotiation is to be able to walk out on the deal. Repeatedly. I negotiated for 6 weeks with a dealer when I bought my truck, and wound up getting a $4500 discount on top of the $5000 cash back, for a total amount of $9500 off the sticker. I feel like they were offering me about $500 low for my trade, an 8 year old Civic, but the trade difference was where I wanted it to be. Prior to making the deal, I made it clear I was a buyer, not a tire kicker or dreamer, and wound up in a position where they were calling me to lower the price several times, each time I would tell them over the phone what my expectations were and to call me back when they would meet it.

With my Odyssey, I have a relationship with a dealer that I have referred people to over the years, sending him somewhere between 15-20 customers. Every time, they would buy a car and then thank ME for referring them. He would pay me $100 for each one, but that wasn't the reason I would do it. I did it because he treated his customers fairly. When it came time to buy my Honda Odyssey, he took care of me, knowing that there would be more people coming his way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I paid $200 over invoice using the Costco program. Thats $38,050 (2011 Touring) + $200 = $38,250. Dealer - Rancho Santa Margarita - Orange County, CA. This is the 4th vehicle for us that we purchased by asking for the Costco price. It's hassle free.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I paid $200 over invoice using the Costco program. Thats $38,050 (2011 Touring) + $200 = $38,250. Dealer - Rancho Santa Margarita - Orange County, CA. This is the 4th vehicle for us that we purchased by asking for the Costco price. It's hassle free.
It is not as hassle free as your experience unfortunately, did you buy the other 3 cars thru costco program at the same dealer?

Many have been told it is only a few hundred dollars off of MSRP, $700 in my experience. My friend bought an Accord and paid invoice, but from a different dealer. I called that dealer as well and they would not go more than $1000 off MSRP even with Costco pricing.

It seems to be hit or miss on the dealerships regarding the costco auto program.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts