Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of mention that the camshaft and crankshaft oil seals should be changed when doing the timing belt (or maybe on the second change), but I couldn't seem to find any posts where someone had actually changed them.

Once person had a link to the some bearing driver tools, but no followup on if they actually succeeded in changing them.

Any suggestions on changing them? Poke a small (or several) hole in the seal and use a small pick tool to work it out? Anyone successfully install them using a socket (what size?) as a driver? Or did you need a special tool?

Just trying to figure out how much stuff to order for the 1st timing belt change on our '04. Most posters seemed to decide not to bother with changing the seals and I'm curious if anyone did it and what was needed.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Well...not me. Done many timing belts and never change those seals on a Honda V6. They rarely leak. Any 4 cylinder I own, yes, change them. The V6, nope.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
I never touch them (on a V6) unless they are leaking. I've replaced cam seals on I4 engines, because I had to (leakers).

OF

·
Registered
2 Posts
cam seal

I see a lot of mention that the camshaft and crankshaft oil seals should be changed when doing the timing belt (or maybe on the second change), but I couldn't seem to find any posts where someone had actually changed them.

Once person had a link to the some bearing driver tools, but no followup on if they actually succeeded in changing them.

Any suggestions on changing them? Poke a small (or several) hole in the seal and use a small pick tool to work it out? Anyone successfully install them using a socket (what size?) as a driver? Or did you need a special tool?

Just trying to figure out how much stuff to order for the 1st timing belt change on our '04. Most posters seemed to decide not to bother with changing the seals and I'm curious if anyone did it and what was needed.

I just completed a t/belt-major service on a '06 Ridgeline with 110K miles, the front cam seal was just starting to leak.
Needless to say I replaced all 3 seals in there...

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am looking at having a 3rd party mechanic do the timing belt, water pump, belts, coolant, etc in a 2006 Ody.

I also wanted to have the seals replaced. He said that Honda put out a TSB or similar a few years ago saying not to change the seals unless they were leaking because Honda discovered that the new seals sometimes leaked. Any thoughts?

He also did not recommend doing the THermostat at the same time as preventative, because it is in a different part of the engine and he has rarely seen it fail. Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
The thermostat is in a different part of the engine, true. But with the coolant drained, this is an ideal time to change it anyway. I changed mine because it was running cool. Scanguage picked it up - dash guage did not.

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
Never heard of that TSB, but I will say that I am emboldened enough to do it (thanks to mrstop and cnn) when the second timing belt change needs to be done....or if I get leaks before that time.

OF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts