Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My previous post on the matter went kablooey. I noticed that only the smaller outboard tail lights have brake lights. Very hard to notice especially in rain and fog (and soon snow). Has anyone modified their tailgate tail lights for the dual filament bulbs? You might be able to take power from the third brake light and avoid running a homemade harnass from the tailgate to the van. Don't have my ody yet so I'm sot sure.

By the way, the literature from Honda has always touted an LED third brake light (in the "exterior features" section). Well it aint (as many of us know). Should we all gang up on Honda and make them retrofit LEDs? JC Whitney has several LED arrays available, one of which adheres to the back window. I wonder if it would fit behind the lens of the third brakelight instead.

Ken

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I guess when I get my Ody in February, I'll be the first to try it. Seems like it would be a fairly popular mod to me.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Ken,
If I remeber right, from a previous discussion,it may be a difficult mod. Not sure but it may require some cutting of the tailgate.
If you do go forward with it, let us know !
Good luck.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
763 Posts
Still waiting. :mad:

The "opening" in the tail gate for the "running" light, is smaller, than the "dual" filament bulb.

Which makes it difficult to retro fit......

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
All the threads I looked at you have to retrofit a new socket or bigger socket. Have you checked out this thread? Especially post #21.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanks Kernel. Read post #21. Seems like to much work. The wiring and modifying the "socket" to fit seemed easy enough. The "disassembling" the rear hatch worries me. (not being able to put it back, old plastic, probably to brittle).

What I did, to increase "brake light" visibility a couple of years ago, was to replace the 3rd (high mount) bulb with
a Bright LED, that "blinks 3 times", then goes solid red. This works fine.

Each State has different rules. California, I was told, allows, "3" blinks. Some LED's blink 5 times....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts