Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this little snippet from the TSB section for the 2006 Odyssey and was wondering if people here have actually gone a yanked the tubing off their aluminum rear a/c lines to find nothing wrong with the line sets. I pulled mine off today on my newly purchased '06 touring. Much to my amazement there was no corrosion of any sort making me wonder if I shouldn't yanked them off in the first place. The thing that concerns me is that the lines are now fully exposed to the rear wheel and all the debris that may fly into the lines. I was thinking possibly fabricating an aluminum protective shield/cover assembly that I could bolt onto the other brackets in the vicinity of the a/c lines. However, reading a little more into the Honda Service News article where the fix was cited it stated that future models of Odysseys won't have that protective tubing. Has this been an issue for other Odyssey owners? Just making sure I don't remove one thing and the ultimately create a new problem down the road for myself.

Thanks.

Here is the snippet from the other posting:

Not a TSB but in an article in Service News.

The article about the corrugated tubing around the A/C lines causing leaks was for 2005-07 Odysseys.

Right side on page 1. http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/A070700.pdf

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Did you try searching? This one's been discussed over and over and over and beat to death back in the day. You should have found several posts/threads on this.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have a '06 EXL and I took it off when the TSB first came out. No problems yet. But, did notice that the corrugated tubing was filled with gravel, sand etc. Glad I removed it before it wore a hole in the ac lines. If you are worried about it you can always go to Canadian Tire or Parts Source and buy another piece and put it back on. I'm in Edmonton and they put a ton of salt, sand and gravel on the roads every winter and haven't noticed any wear on the exposed lines. I just make sure that I hose it off whenever I hit the car wash.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Odyssey A/C line tubing removal

Hi JR, I'm actually in Calgary and the other day when I yanked off the plastic protective tubing all I saw was a tiny bit of fine Alberta Prarie dust. No gravel, salt, corrosion or anything like that.

Lucky me that I caught that one in time before some serious damage would start forming.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I've had the plastic tubing off for quite awhile now and thought about the exposed tubing in the wheel well. Thought about making a shield of some type at first also but didn't bother. I check it once in awhile and haven't noticed any abnormal wear on the lines. I did check the '07's when they came out and sure enough, Honda didn't put the plastic tubing on and it wasn't protected in any way either.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good to know.

Given that Honda Engineers didn't put a shield on it then I would say we're likely not going to encounter any major issues.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
FYI,

BMW engineers put a plastic shield (long flat piece of plastic under the carriage) to shield lines and tubes. This is probably a better practice than shielding the tubing itself (Honda style).

The BMW plastic shield protects the lines and tubes, and yet does not trap dirt/contaminants on the lines and tubes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts