Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not about to do it myself, but I remember the wagons of yore with the wood sides, and frankly, they weren't horrible-looking for the most part. Even Pinto wagons sported the wood look once upon a time. I even present this as an inspiration of sorts:

I can just about hear the howls of outrage, but as I say... not about to do it, just wondering what-if. Maybe someone has a few moments to Photoshop an Ody woody version just for grins... or has someone actually done one? ;)

Have fun... :D

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't really care for that look on the Flex, but some of the early Chrysler vans I think looked nice, especially for their time period. My neighbor had a dark green Chrysler Town & Country with the spoked wheels and the wood accent made it look like a very nice car. Had I been in the market back then, I would have seriously considered it. But you need to be very careful when working with wood, inside or outside of the car. If its not done just right and in moderation, it can ruin the look of the car. I can't believe the way Acura did the wood interior in the MDX. If only they had the grain going the other way and it would look perfect.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I always thought the purpose of wood-grain trim was a conspiracy on the part of manufacturers to make the car look old fast, so that the owner will quickly want to trade it in on a newer model. Vinyl tops seem to have served a similar purpose.

One of my high school buddies had one of those Pinto wagons with the wood trim sides. Problem was, after a few years, sunlight faded the wood-grained vinyl to almost pure white, especially above the beltline.

Whether it looked good when new is a matter of taste. But regardless, it sure looked bad after a few years.

As for my own taste, I don't like something pretending to be something it's not. An old woody wagon that actually uses genuine wood can look pretty classy. But vinyl or plastic pretending to be wood doesn't do it for me.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point on the "fake"-ness of vinyl wood panels, especially after the Earth spins a few times around the sun... and vinyl roofs absolutely trip me out, even now (there are still a couple of dealers left in the Dallas area doing that!). :p

Of course, if every visual accessory had to be real, Buicks wouldn't have portholes, Sentras wouldn't have spoilers, and JC Whitney would go out of business... :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts