Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling to get prices for a replacement. Wondering how difficult it was. I think I would have to remove the tranny and exhaust. Yuck... Anyone done one lately?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grrrr...Stupid copy/paste. I'm trying to work and post a thread. Not good.

I wanted to ask if anyone has replaced their rear main seal. I just got a quote for $500 to replace that and their front seal as well. Didn't sound too bad. Thinking of doing it on my own too. Wanted some opinions on how hard it is to do.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you can find an easy way to remove the tranny.. You need to in order to get to the Rear Main Seal.. kinda sucks since the seal is like 10 bucks.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Grrrr...Stupid copy/paste. I'm trying to work and post a thread. Not good.

I wanted to ask if anyone has replaced their rear main seal. I just got a quote for $500 to replace that and their front seal as well. Didn't sound too bad. Thinking of doing it on my own too. Wanted some opinions on how hard it is to do.
The service manual suggests 8+ hours for transmission R&R...that's if you're a honda tech w/ proper tools, lift, trans jack, etc. I rebuilt my trans last fall and it took me about double that, working by myself, on jackstands. Not terribly difficult if you're a good wrench, but definitely not fun.

If somebody quoted me $500 to replace front and rear main seals, I'd think about that for about 2 microseconds before I handed over the keys! :D (assuming a trustworthy shop)

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
....If somebody quoted me $500 to replace front and rear main seals, I'd think about that for about 2 microseconds before I handed over the keys! :D (assuming a trustworthy shop)
I've removed-replaced (or re-installed) a couple trannies in my time (conventional & transaxle), and my older brain still took only 2 milliseconds to come to the same conclusion.

Note that I said milliseconds....I'm slower by at least 3 significant figures, and I blame age on that.

At labor rates in the $70/hr range (usually higher), $500 is a deal. Like wade says, make sure it's a trustworthy agent, and not somebody who'll take your money, give the engine bay an uber cleaning to make it look like he worked on it after he spends only $5 to throw in a can of "transmission seal conditioner & stop leak" ("stop leaks" rarely work, and if they do, it's purely temporary).

OF

·
Registered
293 Posts
The rear main seal started leaking on my 2000 Odyssey LX with 110K miles. I am looking for DIY tutorial to R&R the transmission and replace the seal . I have a factory and Haynes good manual but am looking for tips/ shortcuts etc) . BTW, the transmission is the original and still woking fine .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts