Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI people, first off I dont know where to post this but since DVpatel has NOT been here lately I'll post this here. :tongue:

I've been thinking of downsizing again to a sedan. The ODY has been so helpful during long distance commute BUT this is also my daily driver.:( sad to say that I hate driving this to my work not to mention the penalty of low gas mileage. As for why 1 vehicle in the family-- because I work 2nd OR 3rd shift. I really dont see any reason for us to buy a second car even if its solely for my DD (even the fiat 500). I see my wife driving the smaller car to/from getting our daughter to school. In other words the 2nd car will just collect dust-- just like our previous scenario before buying the ODY..

so, anybody here donwsized? It is so sad to think we will part the ODY but i guess this will be better decision this time (I hope so)

any recommendation/comments/ or if you want to share without the ody in the family-- please do so.

thanks

·
Registered
632 Posts
just buy a beater car like an EG or EK civic for a daily drive you'll have good gas mileage in them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought a 2003 civic ex with 34k miles a few months back. We kept the Odyssey and downsized my 06 Nissan Armada since it was my daily driver. We have five children so we had to keep one family hauler. My wife works 3rd shift but I prefer to have a second vehicle on hand if needed for emergencies and such. Anyway, the Civic is great with gas. Just takes some getting used to the smaller vehicle.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone
Scott

·
Registered
884 Posts
Better start by getting your calculator out. You are going to take a major depreciation hit trading a 2011. Figure out how much you will have to save on gas before you can even break even. You guys are spoiled on gas prices by the way. We are paying about $5.50 a gallon and it has been up as high as $7.00 with our dollar close to par with the US.

Anyway only you can analyze your own needs but your situation sounds very close to my own. I had an odyssey and a civic. The civic was only driving 800 miles a year. The odyssey burned a lot of gas and I wanted to go back to a car after owning three odysseys. So I traded the odyssey. Six months later I knew it was a mistake. Amazing how many times you need to lug neighbors kids as well. Then we added a dog. Found myself going on ski trips and sending some of my gear over with someone else. Eventually realized my expensive error and got another van.

My only point is make sure you don't make the same mistake. And as an aside, the new generation of odysseys is the most car like van to drive yet. My buddy owns an all wheel drive top of the line 2012 Sienna and he cries in his beer every time he drives my odyssey.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

before we got the ODy we had a civic and a subaru WRX. since my wife cant drive stick and my kids was crumped on my WRX (we have 2 kids)-- we had the civic most on our weekend drive.. I really dont see myself buying a 2nd car since its gonna be the same..-- 2nd car useless.. oh well

anybody traded an '11 ODY? how was the trade-in? since honda holds its value I would assume same thing on my ODY :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Speaking of fiat 500. Watch your head for others who are interested in 500. My wife hits her head hard when she got in 500. She is okay.

Gas penalty? could be just temporary thing "Winter Gas" until they change to normal gas.

We don't own '11 ody but both of us don't get good gas mileage lately. Ody sucks gas a lot lately. Poor my wife who does lot of driving. I suspect it s "Winter Gas".

·
Registered
45 Posts
How many miles are you putting on it per day between you and your wife?

The hit you will take on giving the vehicle back is going to be ridiculous because the car is so new. :( - The best way to answer this question is to just drive it in a dealer, pretend you've got strong interest and lets see what they are willing to give you. No one can answer your trade in value since it depends so much on your individual market.

Also, I think if you were driving a WRX, will you be happy with an Accord? That seems to be like the minimum size car you need for your family. You'll also lose the cargo capacity and you will max out at 4 passengers if any of your kids need car seats.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How many miles are you putting on it per day between you and your wife?

The hit you will take on giving the vehicle back is going to be ridiculous because the car is so new. :( - The best way to answer this question is to just drive it in a dealer, pretend you've got strong interest and lets see what they are willing to give you. No one can answer your trade in value since it depends so much on your individual market.

Also, I think if you were driving a WRX, will you be happy with an Accord? That seems to be like the minimum size car you need for your family. You'll also lose the cargo capacity and you will max out at 4 passengers if any of your kids need car seats.

hey strike, I believe we put an average of 60-70 miles per day. Yup, I did went to a dealer dealer and they were giving me $22-23K-- really low. I saw their inverntory and EX trim they were selling is like $29K and over.. WOW!!

the WRX was the car I had and wife had a civic BUT we trade it back then BOTH for the ODyssey. Really my only gripe is that I drive minivan everyday and of course my gas mileage. :(

ANYHOW, final word from my wife-- forget about it this time, we will have negative equity and we dont like that.

back to ODY. hehehe

·
Registered
45 Posts
hey strike, I believe we put an average of 60-70 miles per day. Yup, I did went to a dealer dealer and they were giving me $22-23K-- really low. I saw their inverntory and EX trim they were selling is like $29K and over.. WOW!!

the WRX was the car I had and wife had a civic BUT we trade it back then BOTH for the ODyssey. Really my only gripe is that I drive minivan everyday and of course my gas mileage. :(

ANYHOW, final word from my wife-- forget about it this time, we will have negative equity and we dont like that.

back to ODY. hehehe
Sorry about that, you do not want negative equity for sure. I had a little bit of buyers remorse by not going the TE since I wanted all the cool features. Unfortunately since I drove my EX-L off the lot I own it and pretty much stuck with it forever. Though since it's mine now, I might as well mod the hell out of it and accept that its my baby.

SOOOO... since you are stuck with it, how about replacing your halogen highbeam with Mini H1's? You'll get 4 quad HID lowbeam projectors.. and xenon hibeams since the Mini B1's are bi-xenon from the get go.

Though at 70 miles a day, you are looking at about 25,000 miles a year which is way too much. I'm not sure how the miles breakdown between you and your wife but I am thinking if at least 35/70 is yours, you really ought to get a beater car. Put the mileage on an older Civic and reduce the wear and tear on your Ody.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looks like Odyssey + Civic is a very popular combination. Same here. Even though my Civic is two-door EX, five of us, two adults and three kids (one in a car-seat), fit in perfectly fine. Not as roomy as Ody of course but as a backup option works well. However for day-to-day usage Civic is for commute and since it's parked at the office most of the day Odyssey is for local shopping, kids pickup/drop-off, ski, bike, snowboarding, and of course long range family trips.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry.

You can wait until Honda supply CVT cross Lineup and buying frenzy begins....maybe. Who knows that Dealership/Private willing to pay at premium price.

I know i know but...need beater car.

For some reason, I am noticing more 90's cars on road and they got my attention. It brings back memories. Sorry that i am off track here:)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Looks like Odyssey + Civic is a very popular combination. Same here. Even though my Civic is two-door EX, five of us, two adults and three kids (one in a car-seat), fit in perfectly fine. Not as roomy as Ody of course but as a backup option works well. However for day-to-day usage Civic is for commute and since it's parked at the office most of the day Odyssey is for local shopping, kids pickup/drop-off, ski, bike, snowboarding, and of course long range family trips.
If it works for you, but I can't see a family of 5 (including 1 in a car seat) fitting perfect fine in a 2 door Civic.. LOL! Sure, it can be done, but a pain of getting in and out of the 2 door to the backseat all the time.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*yeah, we got the frontier SICT I dont think the middle row is usable for a civic..

* 'trike I dont have time to do another retro. :) also, its a lot of work and a pain aiming a quad. maybe you're doing it ha? hehe. If I have to buy again for my high beam that's gonna be HIR bulb. I was so excited and went with HB3 nighbreaker-- looks OK..

I think I overly calculated my daily drive-- its only 50 miles per day

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Get a Mazda5, minivan features including sliding doors in a small version (kind of the size of the 1st gen Odyssey), plenty of space for a family of 3, good on fuel economy, drives much better than many sedans out there, is cheap and you can even get one with stick, for that ricer in you :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
If it works for you, but I can't see a family of 5 (including 1 in a car seat) fitting perfect fine in a 2 door Civic.. LOL! Sure, it can be done, but a pain of getting in and out of the 2 door to the backseat all the time.
Well, different ages have different priorities. And those who're lack of doors they don't really care. Even in Odyssey they often use the tailgate or front doors (that child-safety-lock sometimes is annoying).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts