Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to remove? I am planning on buying a K&N air filter & I intend to clean it every 5000 or so. I just noticed that is not a very convenient way to take off the air cleaner cover...Just thought I would mention it.
John L
01' LX

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just a second opinion here. Many have found that there is no benefit from adding a KN filter on their Ody. Also the KN actually provides less protection than the stock filter. Unless you just like to spend money and time and like to have to re-oil the filter go ahead. For me the less maintanace thr better and I'd stick with Honda parts at least until the warranty period is over.

Just my 2 cents.... (1.3 cents US)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I intended to clean & re-oil every 5000. I was under the impression that the K&N under those circumstances would provide equally as good protection and a little better throttle response. While being less expensive in the long run to maintain. Protection is my #1 concern. If K&N is not up tp par with factory then I will not make the switch.
anyone have hard facts on K&N protection-wise? thnx
John l

·
Registered
255 Posts
See my posts elsewhere on this forum about my experience with a K&N filter in my '94 Chevy 4x4 - cleaned it and oiled it religiously; after 4 years or so in the vehicle the inner cotton filtering element completely disintegrated! (Meaning it was sucked down into the engine.) IMHO, K&Ns are fine for race cars where they change the filter completely before every race, but in my passenger vehicles I stick with paper elements changed on a regular basis.

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; leather steering wheel wrap; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Zaino protection; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Let me cast a vote in Favor of K&N filters. I have had them on two Accords with noticeable gains in acceleration and horsepower. They work better as the dust gets trapped in the filter and acts as an additional filter element. The inside of the valve cover and the rocker arm area was always like-new clean whenever I adjusted the valves, and the oil was no dirtier than with the stock filter when it came time to change it. They are a great mod for the street.

·
Registered
192 Posts
OK, what am I missing here?? We are talking about a MINIVAN, for Pete's sake! I second the opinion that you should stick with the stock parts, at least during the warranty period. K&N filters are a great mod... for a vehicle that can benefit (performance minded). I don't believe a vehicle designed for family utility is that vehicle.

Those grocery store parking lot drag races can be pretty intense though.

Just my 2 1/2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Dude! Some of us may Autocross the Odyssey!

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have my supercharger on order and I have this guy fabricating my stainless steel dual exhaust system, including some modified manifolds. Switch out some pulleys, tires and windsheild fluid... I'm good to go!

Now if I could just figure out how to remove the third seat for less weight.....

·
Registered
392 Posts
A K&N filter will give you better throttle response but will not help the Ody produce more horsepower unless you floor it all the time. Cleaning and re-oiling every 5000 miles is not necessary. Maybe around every 10,000 miles would be better, but the box says a higher mileage. If the filter can last a long time, which is still on debate, it is worth its price. A paper replacement costs around $25.00 and a K&N will cost you around $45.00 and it should last at least 500,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
cmt4, the rear seat is bolted to the hinges with two bolts on each side at the corners, a total of four -- remove these and lift it out by the handle. If memory serves me, it weighs 73 pounds. The second row seats weigh about 55 pounds each, so you can save about 183 pounds in all by removing all the seats.

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Whatever you do, DON'T clean your K&N that often. I've had mine for 3 years and have cleaned it once. They have to look beyond nasty before you clean them. This is common practice by everyone I know in the automotive world.

When in doubt, follow the recommended maintenance from K&N.

You can ruin the filter by cleaning it too often.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
BTW, Trevor at Handa advises that the 2001 and 2002 engine air filters have different part numbers. K&N has no listing for the 2002 air filter. Does anyone know if the 2001 K&N air filter will fit the 2002?

And ctm4, have you cross-drilled your brake rotors yet?

------------------
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
That's right, Don't clean em that often

I agree with Jim F above. Don't clean your K&N that often.

In fact, the one on my 92 Camry is flat so I just tap it upside down to disloge some of the dirt. I've only rinsed it out once in 8 years but tap the loose dirt out every 2 years or so. If you ever rinse it do let it dry completely before reoiling. You can also use sowing machine oil instead of the k&n oil. However, as little oil as it takes, go ahead and get the k&n.

I had k&n in an '82 supra engine from 117K to 230K without a bit of trouble. No, the k&n did not cause the rebuild. Engine threw a rod bearing within a month of my buying the car used.

I've had k&n in my 92 Camry since 1993 or 1994 with no problem.

Main thing to remember is to change the motor oil every 3 or 4K miles. And it is SO nice to not have to worry about the air filter and just check on it every year or three and tap the dirt out.

rlpenny

P.S. I got my info from an outfit in CA and later in NV called The Toy Store. The guy sold performance parts for all sorts of Toyota cars, but primarily for the Supra. He is the one who told me not to clean the thing that often. He said that when it is visibly dirty is filters better than factory while still flowing more air. He also mentioned the tapping trick.

If you are concerned about dirt just check this out. On my Tecumseh TVXL-840 two-stroke lawn mower engine there is a circular paper filter. That circular paper filter is then surrounded by a thin (about 1/4 inch) foam filter in the shap of a cylinder. I just oil the foam filter and once or twice each mowing season I take the foam off and rinse the dirt out with a hose. I then reoil it and put it back on. I just noticed this past week, which is the start of the third season for this engine, that the paper filter is now starting to show a dirtly color (no visible dirt though). My lawn mower is only used on my home lawn and I also use the mower to vacuum up my edging clippings (Ariens is only mower that can do this) so the mower gets a lot of dirt thrown at the filter.

All this to say that properly oiled and tap cleaned every now and then, you should have no problem with your k&n.

rlpenny

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here is AMSOIL's sales pitch with a criticism of K&N filters. Test results apparently show that AMSOIL 2-stage air filters are superior.

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/k&nbitesthedust.htm

"Our J726 trials were conducted at an independent testing facility in the upper midwest. The tests compared Motorvator, K&N, Accel, Fram, and AMSOIL products. The results? AMSOIL proved vastly superior to the competitors' air cleaners as the only air filter to consistently score high marks in all three vital areas of airflow, efficiency and capacity.

The AMSOIL 2-Stage Air Filter traps airborne dust with 99% efficiency; it holds an incredible 281 grams of contaminant (that's over half a pound); and it outlasts the competition. It performs two to four times longer than the others. That's why AMSOIL can confidently recommend a 25,000 mile/1-year service life. And the 2-Stage is actually re-usable, with proper cleaning and re-oiling.

How does AMSOIL do it? Two different densities of lightly oiled polyurethane foam surrounding an expanded metal cage, precisely assembled by careful craftsman in AMSOIL's own manufacturing plant- that's how!"

·
Registered
318 Posts
There are some warnings on the use of K&N filters by some manufacturers (Check Dodge 5.9L Turbo Diesel Owners pages or Cummins web pages).

They clearly indicate that the use of a K&N Air filter on their engine will void their warranty. THey do not mention any other brand then K&N.

Also a word of caution about AMSOIL, they do not make their own filters!!!.

Best regards from Montreal

RobertC

bigred said:
Here is AMSOIL's sales pitch with a criticism of K&N filters. Test results apparently show that AMSOIL 2-stage air filters are superior.

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/k&nbitesthedust.htm

"Our J726 trials were conducted at an independent testing facility in the upper midwest. The tests compared Motorvator, K&N, Accel, Fram, and AMSOIL products. The results? AMSOIL proved vastly superior to the competitors' air cleaners as the only air filter to consistently score high marks in all three vital areas of airflow, efficiency and capacity.

The AMSOIL 2-Stage Air Filter traps airborne dust with 99% efficiency; it holds an incredible 281 grams of contaminant (that's over half a pound); and it outlasts the competition. It performs two to four times longer than the others. That's why AMSOIL can confidently recommend a 25,000 mile/1-year service life. And the 2-Stage is actually re-usable, with proper cleaning and re-oiling.

How does AMSOIL do it? Two different densities of lightly oiled polyurethane foam surrounding an expanded metal cage, precisely assembled by careful craftsman in AMSOIL's own manufacturing plant- that's how!"

·
Registered
112 Posts
RobertC -

In the above quote from AMSOIL's website, AMSOIL says they make their own filters - "precisely assembled by careful craftsman in AMSOIL's own manufacturing plant". Are you suggesting that this is a lie?

·
Registered
596 Posts
cmt4 said:
OK, what am I missing here?? We are talking about a MINIVAN, for Pete's sake! I second the opinion that you should stick with the stock parts, at least during the warranty period. K&N filters are a great mod... for a vehicle that can benefit (performance minded). I don't believe a vehicle designed for family utility is that vehicle.

Those grocery store parking lot drag races can be pretty intense though.

Just my 2 1/2 cents worth.

AMEN!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Definitly, Yes they are lying!

Amsoil have all their filters made by other manufacturers.

I work for one of their suppliers.

Best regards

RobertC

bigred said:
RobertC -

In the above quote from AMSOIL's website, AMSOIL says they make their own filters - "precisely assembled by careful craftsman in AMSOIL's own manufacturing plant". Are you suggesting that this is a lie?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts