Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an 01 EX with 133k on it. This will be my work vehicle replacing my 98 Windstar that had the head gasket go. Plan is for the Odyssey to last for a few more years.

I was really looking for another Windstar or maybe a Grand Caraven or Town & Country. I was not planning on an Odyssey as they were typically more expensive then the other options. I stumbled across the Odyssey with no plans on buying it. But, the price was right, it had all the service records was a 1 owner vehicle and well taken care of.

I've owned the Odyssey since this past Sat. afternoon. In the 1st day, I had a disconnected cable not allowing me to fold the 3rd row seat into the well. A windsheild washer nozzle washing the vans roof, a driver side power door not completely closing. The second day, I found my van had a built in alarm clock, It started beeping the horn and flashing it's lights around 3:30am Mon. morning waking up my neighbors and giving them an early start that morning whether they wanted to get up or not. My bedroom is in the back of the house and I did not hear it till around 6:30am Mon. But, one of my neighbors told me he started hearing it around 3:30am and it continued going off intermittently till I shut it down.
But, thanks to people on this forum all these issues have been corrected.

But, in the 1st few days I've owned this I have to say I am not impressed with the Odyssey.

I am really surprised by all the knit-picky type problems these vehicles have. The problems I see on this forum never came up on the Windstar forums.

I've heard about the roominess of the Odyssey so I thought it would be roomier then my Windstar--it's not. I can't fit all my stuff into the Odyssey. The lack of space forced me to leave some stuff in my garage. Then there are a few small annoying things, like not as much cubby storage space up front for misc. stuff. Only one electrical outlet up front (and that's in a bad spot pretty, much on the floor) vs. 2 in the Windstar. I don't believe the ride and handling is comparable to the Windstar. The Windstar drives more like a car and seems to handle better,
The Odyssey drives more like a truck. Engine sizes and hp are similar but so far seems like the Odyssey's gas mileage is not as good as the Windstar. Also, the front doors seem much tinnier and lighter then the Windstars.
So far I can't say I've found even 1 thing I like better about the Odyssey. It's early yet as time goes by I hope to be won over to the Odyssey.

I am asking what other people that went from a Ford or Chrysler to the Odyssey think about their comparisons.

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
Gee, sorry about your rough intro to the Ody.

My previous ride was a 95 Windstar. It had less than 100,000 km (60,000 miles) and I dumped it after spending $3K in engine and front suspension repairs in a short time.

IMHO, the Ody is light years ahead of the Winnie. It handles much better, although the ride is stiffer. The interior is roomier because the third seat folds, and is of much higher quality and finish, although it is a little noisier. It has many more miles and absolutely nothing has broken yet, except the clock light.

The only thing I thank the Winnie for is that it pushed my Ody purchase into 2002, so I got all the improvements that were made in that year.

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK-It's early yet and I know once I get used to the Odyssey it will be fine. I did find 1 thing it does better then my Windstar. Smaller turning raduius. My work day has me driving in and out of tight spaces, I did notice the turning radius is smaller. The Odyssey is still a work in progress for me. Don't get me wrong. I am not really knocking the Odyssey. I am just saying I don't believe it's all that much more user friendly. On the other hand I would not have bought a Ford or Chrysler van with over a 100k miles on it. I have the confidence this Odyssey will get me at least another 100k miles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My brother owned a windsatr and I have to say I completely disagree on driving more liike a car. No van I have driven drives more lie a car than a odyssey. Basically most janese cars are know for one thing;if maintained they drive the same at 100'000 as when new;which I never found with any american vehicle I ever owned in in my 49 years of driving.Sounds like you got a rough maintained vehicles really as to the small stuff and perhaps the reason for the price.

·
Registered
112 Posts
@mwest- sorry to hear about your rough start with the Ody. I think it's all about expectations and what each person gets used to. I switched from a Grand Caravan to a Sienna to an Ody, and felt each time that I was giving up a lot (even though each successive vehicle was much better appointed than the last). Any time anyone switches from one car to another there is always going to be some trade-off in features and characteristics.

While the Ody is generally rated highly in comparison tests, it is not without faults and shortcomings of its own. Hopefully you get used to your new car pretty soon and it performs to your "adjusted" expectations :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
We were involved in an accident in our 2005 Town and country when we were hit by a person that ran a stop sign. I searched through reports and reviews and the issues with the brakes turned me off getting another Town and country. We even has a 2012 Town and country as a rental when we started looking. When I drove the 2006 Odyssey EX-l I could not believe the difference in drive quality. It was somuch quieter than even the 2012 Town and Country. It didn't have some of the features that the Chrysler had but I didn't want to get the top of the line model. I find theOdyssey ride and seating is excellent. Just wish I hadn't waited so long to get my second Honda. My original was a 1983 accord which was a great car.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I had a 2002 Odyssey and I would say it's still way ahead of the current 2012 Town and Country. Excluding the transmission issue, I'd pick a new 2002 Honda over a new 2012 Chrysler any day. The Honda is that good. You exchanged for a 10 yr old vehicle with all its baggage so I don't think it's a fair comparison. Hope you get all your issues resolved. Good luck.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I am asking what other people that went from a Ford or Chrysler to the Odyssey think about their comparisons.
My 2002 Odyssey has been not reliable. Needed lots of repairs like transmission, engine mounts, power windows, evap system, doors, smog controls. Much more fixing for more $$$ than my much older Chrysler minivan. Dealer was obtuse and mainly an upseller. Even changed transmission fluid about every 10K miles with Z1 and nothing else. Trans kicked the bucket just over 70K. Ride noisy. Handling fairly good. Overall, Audi-esque. Audi is famous for driving well but needing lots of fixing. Would not recommend.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
baseball,
Sorry to hear of your Odyssey troubles but after searching around on this site I am beginning to believe your experiences are not an exception. The little quirks on my Odyssey have been resolved painlessly with the help of the people on this forum. The only nagging issue is the check engine light coming on and off every few days. I forgot what the specific code was, but it had to do with the catalytic converter. I read on here that something as simple as the battery going dead (mine did) could cause the cat. to throw off a code and light up the check engine light. I am not really concerned about it.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
This was the order of vans for my family, all were used... 88 Voyager, 93 Grand Voyager, 96 Grand Voyager and then the 00 Ody. I didn't own either of the GV's for the duration of the car loan on them. At 100k they just seemed to be falling apart. The Ody is almost 12 years old and still rides great but it does need a motor mount. Most everything I've replaced has been a maintenance type item. Yes it has a few quarks and no heated mirrors or lights that turn off automatically but it's been a solid vehicle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts