Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 2019 EX-L.

Always thought the vehicle sat low for what it is. We've also payed attention and not run into anything while parking so far and overall drive conservatively. But recently just had to clear a speed bump and I heard a horrendous sound! The speed bump scraped up my cat converter quite good.

Took at look underneath and i can clear see the metal all scraped up. Don't thing this will cause any issues but that exhaust system sits quite low, lower than rest of the stuff under there.

So be careful out there.

·
Registered
715 Posts
We have 2019 EX-L.

Always thought the vehicle sat low for what it is. We've also payed attention and not run into anything while parking so far and overall drive conservatively. But recently just had to clear a speed bump and I heard a horrendous sound! The speed bump scraped up my cat converter quite good.

Took at look underneath and i can clear see the metal all scraped up. Don't thing this will cause any issues but that exhaust system sits quite low, lower than rest of the stuff under there.

So be careful out there.
Do you by any chance have smaller winters tires on it? Mine with 19 inch wheels looks high enough from the ground and even with 18 inch winters it looks ok, never touched anything with 38,000km

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Our 2020 is low enough to scrape the monstrous speed bumps at Costco if you're not down to crawl speed.
Yup. The 5th gen Odys are longer, wider and lower, alright! For better or worse.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Compared to its predecessor, the fifth generation is 0.7 in (18 mm) narrower, 1.2 in (30 mm) taller and shares the same 118.1 in (3 m) wheelbase
4th gen
Wheelbase118.1 in (3,000 mm)
Length202.9 in (5,154 mm)
Width79.2 in (2,012 mm)
Height68.4 in (1,737 mm)

5th gen
Length203.2 in (5,161 mm)
Width78.5 in (1,994 mm)
Height69.5 in (1,765 mm)
Curb weight4,354–4,593 lb (1,975–2,083 kg)

5th gen is 0.3 inches longer, 0.7 inches narrower, 1.1 inch taller than 4th gen Odyssey
LOL if those changes making you uncomfortable to drive and park... well that is huge lol then

·
Registered
140 Posts
It’s the mirrors. They are larger and stick out further from the car. And yes my 2014 fits through my garage door and the 2020 I test drove home (and intended to buy that day) would not fit. I have a standard 8” garage door, so I’d say that’s a pretty big deal.

·
Registered
303 Posts
The exhaust is less protected than it was before. You can easily see it from the side while I can't with my 2005. And I scraped it. Long wheelbase helping and uneven pavement helping.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Compared to its predecessor, the fifth generation is 0.7 in (18 mm) narrower, 1.2 in (30 mm) taller and shares the same 118.1 in (3 m) wheelbase
4th gen
Length202.9 in (5,154 mm)
Width79.2 in (2,012 mm)
Height68.4 in (1,737 mm)

5th gen
Length203.2 in (5,161 mm)
Width78.5 in (1,994 mm)
Height69.5 in (1,765 mm)
Curb weight4,354–4,593 lb (1,975–2,083 kg)

5th gen is 0.3 inches longer, 0.7 inches narrower, 1.1 inch taller than 4th gen Odyssey
LOL if those changes making you uncomfortable to drive and park... well that is huge lol then
Sorry, I was comparing the 2018 to my 2004 Ody which was shorter and narrower...
201″ L x 76″ W x 69-70″ H
The '04 was definitely easier to get in and out of our garage. And the mirrors on the '18 are much larger.

·
Registered
213 Posts
We have 2019 EX-L.

So be careful out there.
Horrendous scraping sound! Yep. We experienced that when driving our 2019 Ody EX into our carport because of the sloped driveway. Here's a youtube video that shows how I had to cut down the high ridge of our driveway to get 1/2" of clearance to the muffler. (Called it the catalytic converter in the youtube video but later learned it's the muffler.)

How to use an angle grinder to cut and smooth concrete

·
Registered
402 Posts
Though the Gen 5 Odyssey has only 4.5" of ground clearance, I have not had any issues anywhere. It is, however, interesting that the current Gen Civic has 5.2" and the Accord sports a healthy 5.8". Do not fret though, our might Honda Fit has 4.4", beating the Odyssey and taking the lead.

Just an FYI, the Gen 4 Odyssey had the same 4.5" of ground clearance.

Do they make a specific set for the fifth gen odyssey or will it be a custom application?
They make one kit specific to the Gen5 and it is their BR series. Kit is a A-136-BR running a 7K front and rear spring. I have 7K springs in my Ridgeline, which weighs about the same, and they are firm. 2" drop is extreme for daily use, on a van that is already very low. It would be impractical to use this for normal everyday commuting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have 2019 EX-L.

So be careful out there.
I tore off the front spoiler of 2001 Hondy Odyssey EX, it cost $1000 to replace!

I had hit "parking bumps" one time too many...the van is really low to the ground, that replacement front bumper was about 5 years ago,since then I've managed to NOT pull far enough forward to run over parking bumb, btw..the main problems is when BACKING UP after running past parking bump, then it's GRABS that low slung front bumper and JERKS is loose..after that, I tried to push/kick it back into place a few times, but eventually I pulled over one parking bump too many and it's all my fault 4 sure..:-(

Slow learner...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Horrendous scraping sound! Yep. We experienced that when driving our 2019 Ody EX into our carport because of the sloped driveway. Here's a youtube video that shows how I had to cut down the high ridge of our driveway to get 1/2" of clearance to the muffler. (Called it the catalytic converter in the youtube video but later learned it's the muffler.)

How to use an angle grinder to cut and smooth concrete
Excellent, very well-made video! Thank you Raptor88!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep, we switched from a 2017 Forester (which we loved) to the Ody. Recently we had to park on some grass behind a curb to attend a sporting event. We ended up bottoming out the van on the curb near the middle/rear of the van!

Luckily, we were able to push it out and avoid an expensive tow truck visit! I was shocked to see how low the ground clearance was, because there were Toyota and Dodge minivans happily park near where we got stuck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts