Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Anyone Else Have Piston Ring Issue and Complete Engine Failure in 2014 Odyssey?

13277 34
My van has 61k miles on it and yesterday out of nowhere, the malfunction indicator lamp light started flashing and the engine became very rough. Upon stopping and restarting, multiple system failure lights flashed. I had the van towed into the dealership and Honda is now saying it needs all new piston rings and cylinders 1, 3 & 5 were scorched. We have an extended warranty on our vehicle but they are claiming this isn't covered. We are waiting on Honda NA to review and follow up if they will cover any portion of this.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, did Honda resolve the issue by paying for the repairs and also extending the same resolutions as in the lawsuit? I see there was a class action lawsuit that was resolved due to these EXACT same issues. However, Honda was to have fixed these issues in the 2014 models. The dealership has said this is a minimum of $3500 to repair. Additionally, we have done constant maintenance on this vehicle and everything has been done at the dealership down to every oil change.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
For what it's worth, we have a 2014 Odyssey with 107k miles. We've never had any issues with the van or the engine. Personally, I don't trust dealerships. I think they try to overwhelm you with these large repair estimates so you'll throw up your hands and trade in the vehicle on the spot for a new one. Then, they can cheaply repair your van and resell it for profit.

Is it possible to get a 2nd opinion on these repairs?

· Registered
585 Posts
I'll let the pros chime in here but 1) you have an extended warranty, 2) this is not an uknown issue on this era of Odyssey and 3) there's all kinds of documentation in and around these issues so... My recommendation, agree to NOTHING with this dealership until you've done your research. Don't agree to pay 10% of the cost let alone 50%.

61k total and the engine needs rebuilt and you have an extended warranty and they claim you're not covered; phew. Maybe not but...

Sorry for the trouble and good luck.

· Registered
4 Posts
Following—same issue today on my 2014 with 71k. Honda care certified and no other issues up until now. Requires a piston ring job, the question is whether or not it will be covered by the warranty or not. Had to agree to the tear down to get them to send the Honda care evaluation person to look at it. Service tech suggested that I do the timing belt service if I planned to keep the van—which I do.

Just a quick look around the forum it seems like this is more common than I might have thought. Any suggestions on how best to proceed? While in my mind there is no question this should be covered under the warranty, the tech said, “I’ve seen it go both ways”. I am in a metro area where there are a couple dealerships, but the way it sounded to me was it’s all up to the Honda Care person that Honda sends—that the dealership has no say in what they decide.

They have been gracious and put me in a loaner, but it certainly feels like I’m caught between a rock and a hard place here. Thoughts?

· Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
819 Posts
Very typical response from Honda dealership, trying to fish even more money out of your pocket while you are down by suggesting timing belt job (which is over $1100 I am sure) 34,000 miles prematurely. I can't stand hearing these ripoff stories and I really hope the class action lawsuit either gets extended to include model years past 2013, or a new one gets introduced covering every VCM engine that Honda makes. I personally would push as hard as I can to make sure it is covered in full, and then trade it in for a Sienna if you really need a van going forward.

· Premium Member
3,164 Posts
You might find this thread useful:

In particular, I'd like to point out the contributions of forum member @Jrprock79 , who is a Honda dealer tech. He mentions that Honda is covering up to 90% of the repair costs for VCM-related problems in out of warranty gen 4 Odysseys. There are other places that I know I've seen this mentioned, but I can't find them right now.

Reactions: GStevens1

· Registered
14,037 Posts
The hitch in the giddyup here is that you have an issue with cylinder 5. Cylinder 5 is not a VCM cylinder so not part of the extended warranty for misfire/vcm issues. Good luck!

· Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 136k miles
2,277 Posts
The hitch in the giddyup here is that you have an issue with cylinder 5. Cylinder 5 is not a VCM cylinder so not part of the extended warranty for misfire/vcm issues. Good luck!
I noticed that too and figured it was a typo / miscommunication from the dealer. 1-3-5 does not make sense at all.

· Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
819 Posts
Sharp eye, I didn't notice that. There's no way at 61,000 miles that she should be having to replace rings on #5, especially having followed the proper service intervals.

· Registered
2,515 Posts
Honda is now saying it needs all new piston rings and cylinders 1, 3 & 5 were scorched. We have an extended warranty on our vehicle but they are claiming this isn't covered. We are waiting on Honda NA to review and follow up if they will cover any portion of this.
All I can say is that they are lying to you. The only definition of the word scorched I can think of in relationship to engine is that cylinder walls are damaged. If they cylinder walls are damaged, you need a new engine, no amount of new rings will fix it.
As others mentioned, 5 is not a VCM cylinder, they probably simply just scanned the car and it had multiple misfire codes.
There is enough written on this board about VCM to not go into repetitions.
Between 5years/60k miles, and your HondaCare warranty, this issue should be fixed by Honda with no out of pocket costs to you.

· Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 136k miles
2,277 Posts
All I can say is that they are lying to you. The only definition of the word scorched I can think of in relationship to engine is that cylinder walls are damaged. If they cylinder walls are damaged, you need a new engine, no amount of new rings will fix it.
As others mentioned, 5 is not a VCM cylinder, they probably simply just scanned the car and it had multiple misfire codes.
There is enough written on this board about VCM to not go into repetitions.
Between 5years/60k miles, and your HondaCare warranty, this issue should be fixed by Honda with no out of pocket costs to you.
Yes, and "scored" would be the proper word.

On the theory of multiple misfire codes - yes that makes perfect sense. If the engine had the VCM problem on legit VCM cylinders, and that caused misfires, it is possible if not probable that misfire codes would show up on other cylinders. Commonly a single cylinder misfiring may give codes for up to all 6, and most should be ignored. So maybe they got codes on 1-3-5 and just said they all had that problem, when in fact the #5 was a phantom code.

BTW, nice to see you again on here maxud ? (btw, that looks to be the closest thing this new site has to "cheers")

· Registered
14,037 Posts
Very possible. I've seen misfire codes on all cylinders when just one is misfiring. Problem is the tsb is clear. If there is indication of misfire on cylinders other than 1-4 it's not covered under the bulletin. 5 is between 2 and 3 in the firing order so easily could set a code on 5 when 5 really isn't misfiring.

· Registered
11 Posts
My 2014 just went in this week for the same issue. Cylinder 1-3. Thankfully my Honda Extended Warranty is covering this, despite screwing me around. Definitely done with Honda. I have no problem with having issues, but it's how you treat your customers when they come up. Honda failed that test with me.

Clearly, they haven't solved the problem with 2014+ models.

I'll be disabling VCM as soon as I get it back, rather than have VCM disabling cylinders / piston rings. LOL.

· Registered
2,515 Posts
BTW, nice to see you again on here maxud ? (btw, that looks to be the closest thing this new site has to "cheers")
I never left, but amount of time I can spent on the board is significantly reduced. Cheers ?

Reactions: GStevens1

· Registered
522 Posts
Take note of who diagnosed your issue. You might trust Honda, but I don't. I have a long list of stunts that my local dealer has foisted on unsuspecting, trusting, loyal Honda buyers that I have personally known. I'd find an independent guy to talk this over with. If I had to pay for this repair, I wouldn't pay Honda for it.

I would look into a used engine swap. Some of the parts. like the cylinder heads, the alternator, the starter, and maybe a few other parts, are worth quite a bit of money, Price them out on eBay so you know whqat they are worth to someone else.

This diagnosis makes little sense to me. I find it unusual that cylinder #5 (which is not affected by cylinder deactivation) looks the same as #4 and #6, while the three cylinders on the other bank are OK.

Especially if this is a dealer-maintained car, have a talk with Honda. If you are unsuccessful call back a day later and talk with someone else, then a supervisor, bearing in mind the record of your first call will be looked at by anyone you talk with thereafter. I would have someone else look at the vehicle before I called Honda.

It cost you quite a bit of extra money to have the dealer (supposedly) do all of your service. That should be worth something in "good will" to you from Honda. Sometimes Honda will fix an issue like this if the vehicle isn't too far out of warranty. In this case, I think they should fix it at no cost to you. If they won't, come back here and tell us, and avoid Honda in the future. Toyota replaced a cylinder head gasket on a neighbor's 4 Runner 10,000 miles after the extended coverage for his issue ran out - with no no dickering, no charge.

· Registered
696 Posts
My van has 61k miles on it and yesterday out of nowhere, the malfunction indicator lamp light started flashing and the engine became very rough. Upon stopping and restarting, multiple system failure lights flashed. I had the van towed into the dealership and Honda is now saying it needs all new piston rings and cylinders 1, 3 & 5 were scorched. We have an extended warranty on our vehicle but they are claiming this isn't covered. We are waiting on Honda NA to review and follow up if they will cover any portion of this.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, did Honda resolve the issue by paying for the repairs and also extending the same resolutions as in the lawsuit? I see there was a class action lawsuit that was resolved due to these EXACT same issues. However, Honda was to have fixed these issues in the 2014 models. The dealership has said this is a minimum of $3500 to repair. Additionally, we have done constant maintenance on this vehicle and everything has been done at the dealership down to every oil change.
Dealer lies! I have a 2012 Odyssey and at about 50K miles I was stopped at a railroad crossing waiting for the train to pass and the car started to misfire. I immediately turned around and went home, about 10 minutes away. I have a code reader and I found it had a misfire in two cyclinder, I forget which two. This was odd as this is a car I personally take care of with regular synthetic oil changes. I dug around this forum and I found a TSB from Honda about this problem. This is a know problem caused by the system that shuts off cylinders under light loads. Honda had a secret warranty that covered this problem until 80K miles. I printed out the TSB and took the car to the dealer. They fixed a couple of recall items as well as what amounts to a minor engine rebuild at no cost, but great hassle, to us.

· Registered
1,450 Posts
Any oil change history to go along with these nightmare stories? I find it hard to believe that if the proper maintenance is performed on time that a lot of this can be avoided. Cylinder #5 is odd. I woul still wait it out with Honda then when it's fixed immediatly install a VCM disable device and change the oil religiously.

· Registered
11 Posts
Any oil change history to go along with these nightmare stories? I find it hard to believe that if the proper maintenance is performed on time that a lot of this can be avoided. Cylinder #5 is odd. I woul still wait it out with Honda then when it's fixed immediatly install a VCM disable device and change the oil religiously.
My oil changes have been regularly completed per maintenance minder at the dealership. Usually around every 10k-12k kms (6.25k - 7.5k miles). Full synthetic.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.