Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1596 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
jabba17 said:
Buy an OBD II code reader/resetter to clear the code so the MIL (check engine light) will go off, so if something else happens (unrelated to the tranny) you will know. These reader/resetters are about $35 at Costco or $60 at Pep Boys.
Good idea. I have been looking to pick up a code reader, but they seem a little more costly around here. I have yet to find one for under $130. The Costcos here in Canada do not seem to carry them. Anyone know where to get a good deal on a reader in Canada?

That said, I have been looking at the ScanGauge II. It is an OBD2 reader, plus a lot more...up to 37 gauges. You can install it and use it as an automotive computer. It can monitor real time gas mileage, instantaneous horsepower readings, etc. One of the features that caught my eye was displaying transmission temp. Very interesting.

Still costs a bit more than I was looking to spend on an OBD2 reader, but may be worth it. Can anyone here recommend these or is it better to stick with a basic code reader?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Vanguaud, the extra functions of the Scangauge are called the X-Gauge.

The only additional function for Honda is horsepower. The ODY uses ISO mode and there are lots of obscure data readings that you can probably get. You have to enter the various data codes to see if it will work.

All the good stuff is only available for Toyota Prius, Ford Escape Hybrid, VW, GM and Ford.

Go to the Scangauge site and check out the X-gauge info. There is a data sheet with the codes.

If you email the Scangauge guys, they are nice, but say no telling when they will get the Honda codes. It has been a couple of years now so this means probably never.

Email them and let us know what the latest info.

In the end, I find the Scangauge is a useful tool for monitoring fuel remaining, manifold pressure (for economy), and coolant temperature. Plus, if you like gadgets, it is cool.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hello Sinbad,

Thanks for the feedback. I do love gadgets, but one of the main features I liked was monitoring transmission temps, which it apparently will not due with the Ody.

I have sent an email to the scangauge folks to ask exactly what functionality is and isn't available to Honda vehicles. I'll post when I hear back.

Still a cool gadget :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
184,000 miles and starting shudder in 3rd shift on occasion

My '03 has just over 184,000 on it and is just starting to have an occasional shudder when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Maybe once to 3 times in a day. I just changed the fluid again last night (generally change about every 25k to 30k with Amsoil) and will see if that does anything. the drain plug was very "fuzzy" this time and the fluid seemed much darker than other changes, but i want a tad over 31k this time.

does anyone know of a GOOD trans repair place in the Phoenix AZ area? Also, is there a Heavy Duty rebuild option or Heavy Duty parts that can be used to rebuild this so it lasts longer?

My Odyssey only has 184,000 and is in excellent shape otherwise, and engine will smoke the tires in a turn (with traction control off). I also use the Amsoil bypass oil system.

Shameless plug: I am now an Amsoil dealer if anyone wants the BEST oil in their vehicles, see my website. http://synthetic-oil-tech.com/1831779/

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2000 Odyssey EX purchsed in 2004 with 13,500 miles. owned by the proverbial little old couple that only drove it to church.

It has been a wonderful vehile and I have had it serviced regularly at Honda dealerships approximately every 30k.

I also use exclusively full synthetic oil and change it every 3-5k.

It had the factory installed tow package and I periodically tow a Wells Cargo 5x8 enclosed trailer with a gross weight of 2250.

I have had no transmission issues and I now have 153000 miles.

As I write this I am having the second set of front brake pads installed at Tire Choice and not a dealer. I am currently in Ft Myers FL and have not received that warm fuzzy feeling from the local dealership.

I have heard and read the scare stories abou trannies but so far (knock on wood) I have had zero issues.

I might consider adding the lift bags in the rear and also the trans filter as I have read about her on this board.

I have seen many 97-99 Odysseys still on the road and I always like the looks of them too. I see hat as a good sign.

I also own a 1993 Toyota SR5-V6 pickup with 142000 miles and it is still going strong on he original clutch!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
184,000 and still going, but shaky

I did a trans fluid change, only one change of fluids, not the 3x change. this did help the shifting a bit, but still just a bit of shifting oddness. I also discovered (re-discovered, as I forgot about it) the trans filter and ordered one for about $27 with shipping from the company someone else mentioned in this thread. Will see if that makes a difference. My thinking is that if the filter is mostly plugged, the pressure might be insufficient to shift properly??? maybe? Still, at 184,000 I can't complain too loudly. Even though I did change the fluid (the 1 time 3.5 qt method) every 25K to 30K with Amsoil.

Shameless plug: I am now an Amsoil dealer if anyone wants the BEST oil in their vehicles, see my website.

http://synthetic-oil-tech.com/1831779/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our 2004 Odyssey EX-RES will turn 100,000 miles this month. We bought it new. I think I've had the transmission fluid changed/flushed once. Will be doing it that again before our big road trips this summer. Our Odyssey has been (KNOCK ON WOOD) bullet-proof. Nothing but oil changes, new brakes and tires and routine maintenance to this point. We are counting down to the release of the next generation Odyssey as a replacement. (or might try to push our luck another year with our current Odyssey.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
108k miles on 2003 EX, original trans, no problems, trans cooler upgrade by dealer, 2 fluid changes

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: 184,000 and still going, but shaky

dejabrown said:
at 184,000 I can't complain too loudly. Even though I did change the fluid (the 1 time 3.5 qt method) every 25K to 30K with Amsoil.

Shameless plug: I am now an Amsoil dealer if anyone wants the BEST oil in their vehicles, see my website.

http://synthetic-oil-tech.com/1831779/
I had a week without any shudder in shifting, then last night it happened again. So i did one more fluid fill (only 4 quarts). Once again, i was surprised how dark the fluid was, and how much crud was on the magnet after only a week of driving.

in conclusion, I believe the original poster was correct - synthetic fluids, (done with Amsoil) trans cooler (have a large one installed) and add a filter (did NOT do this). I believe if I had added a filter years ago it might still be doing well today, but as it is it "only" lasted 185K.

·
Registered
1 Posts
164k before tranny failed

164k. Tried to baby it as long as possible but it went a month after a trip to Colorado and the mountains. I guess I am a lucky one to have it last that long. For a minivan in general, that is pretty good longevity from my experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2000 Odyssey EX purchased new w/ 105K hard Chicago suburb miles. Rotella T6 Synthetic/Wix filters for the summer and M-1 0W-30 extended drain for the winter.

Original trans. w/ 3 quart M-1 synthetic drain/fill & Lubegard Platinum additive every oil change (six months). Even before M-1 became rated as 'universal', I used it with the black Lubegard friction modifier.

Used to use Honda Z-1 for the service, but became leary because of the trash that came out during the drain and the subsequent improvement in shift quality.

Motor mounts, A/C, sliding doors, EGR, and all the other expensive idiosyncracies that tarnish the 'vaunted' Honda brand. Definitely a lemon that took 4 generations to finally get right, and soured tens of thousands of US consumers from purchasing Honda again. I'll buy BMW before I shell out $40K for a Honda.

I would never recommend that anyone buy a Honda with an automatic transmission. Period. And mine's just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
emPoWaH said:
All these threads about tranny issues is starting to make me worry. I wonder what are the statistical chances that I'll make it to 75K or 100K miles without paying thousands for a new transmission. If it's almost a certain thing, then I'm likely going to buy an extended warranty.

Ody transmission that's fine after 75K mi = Does it exist?!

BTW, in cold mornings, the transmissions is already slightly jerky during the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. 28K miles. Hope it doesn't happen again.
Yes Mine is at 166K+ miles. the tranny started acting up at probably around 120K milesMy Mechanic says that its one of the shifter valves so its an external fix and wont be too bad. I hit on occation 5k rpms so It has gotten worse but usually I only hit around 3.8k rpms normally accelerating for my 1-2 gear shift.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My wife still drives this car 2001 EXL with 210,000 + kms on it with the original transmission, she works it hard
Some just keep going

·
Registered
39 Posts
205.000 MILES on my 1999 Ody original tranny - just is one of the good ones I guess. They don't all go bad early. I change the fluid regularly, last time did a 3X myself for a greater percent flush - do it yourself and you can afford the 3X approach at a similar price as paying for the labor. I have always used Honda trans fluid. I have a Magnifine filter to install next time I flush, thanks to the advice of others in this forum. Hope my Ody doesn't read this post, now that I have bragged about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2003 Ody, 101k miles, and my transmission went out in the mountains of North Georgia. 100 degrees, barely made it up the mountain to a safe place with my wife, 8, 6, and 1yr old crammed inside. Worst end to an otherwise great vacation.

Nevertheless, as I write this post I have made it back home 500+ miles away to Jacksonville, FL in a rental car. Meanwhile my Ody sits on a Honda lot in N. GA with a transmission replacement quote of $3500. I think I am going to be sick.

Enough of my sob story. I am hoping you all can help me. I have ready many stories about how Honda has offered "goodwill assistance" covering 25, 50, even 100% of this repair, acknowledging that they've got a serious problem with the transmissions in their cars. I drive an 03 TL, head over to that forum some time and you'll get to read about as many tranny failures as you do here... but I digress.

Do you have any tips you can offer me when communicating with Honda (the manufacturer) and having them give me a little financial assistance on this one?

Thanks and Happy Father's Day!

·
Registered
2 Posts
-2004 EX-DVD w/77k. Tranny went out in the mountains of TN while heading out on vacation (5 kids, wife and I)- always serviced and well maintained.
- I have the same question as Tooga
- Also, I opted for the Honda replacement/rebuild versus the dealer rebuild. How do I know if the new tranny has the cooler update. And, will this fix the problem or do these trannies keep breaking?

·
Registered
1 Posts
00 EX with 199,500mi and still original trans. About every 3rd or 4th oil change I'll do a drain and refill of the trans.

Needless to say, I can't say that I think it shifts great... But when I got around to replacing the trans/engine mounts and doing the EGR TSB, it shifts better.

1121 - 1140 of 1596 Posts