Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1561 - 1580 of 1596 Posts

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
hopefully with good maintenance going forward, it will give me several more good years yet.
There's no silver bullet, but you can slant the odds in your favor with these measures:
- regular ATF maintenance (i.e. drain and fill every 2nd engine oil change)
- easy throttle when shifting up through the gears (i.e. <2,500 RPM)
- auxiliary ATF cooler

Best of luck going forward. :)

Dave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks, Dave! I'll take that advice and run with it.

I had to laugh - when the transmission went out, a friend said it would have held out longer if I didn't drive like NASCAR. I told him, dude, I'm a nearly 50-year-old mom - I am not first off the line by any means! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Checking in here with a 2004 LX, original engine and transmission going strong at 203,000 miles. Its my mother's car but I've been doing the maintenance on it since we got it with 24k on it. ATF drain and refill every 10k when I rotate tires and a Hayden transmission cooler. We don't do any towing but have been on a ton of road trips with a roof rack and 6 people plus luggage in the car.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You are doing 2 of the 3 things Pat Goss told me to do to keep my Honda rebuild going; an external Haydn cooler (I think 678), change once per year with current Honda synthetic ATF, and add a Magnefine filter to be changed every year.

I would suggest someday changing the trannies well hidden external filter that most people don't know about - under the battery tray especially if it is still the original. But all that fluid changing will have helped.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good advice rontroy, I forgot to mention it but I did change the spin-on filter at 170k. Maybe a little late but I honestly didn't even know it existed nor did the dealer techs and service writers.

I am 100% positive that the cooler and fluid changes have extended the life of this transmission. My uncle has two Odysseys, one first gen and one second, and both have had multiple transmission failures before he got a cooler and started doing more regular changes. Now his second gen has 80k on the latest rebuild and its still running smoothly. He does tow and use his for work though so they're definitely more abused than normal.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Good advice rontroy, I forgot to mention it but I did change the spin-on filter at 170k. Maybe a little late but I honestly didn't even know it existed nor did the dealer techs and service writers.

I am 100% positive that the cooler and fluid changes have extended the life of this transmission. My uncle has two Odysseys, one first gen and one second, and both have had multiple transmission failures before he got a cooler and started doing more regular changes. Now his second gen has 80k on the latest rebuild and its still running smoothly. He does tow and use his for work though so they're definitely more abused than normal.
The cooler the car comes with is inadequate. So a good external helps. And fluid changes get rid both of damaged fluid and also junk in the fluid. The Magnefine ought to add a bit more by pulling very fine particles out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2000 Ody bought new now has 206K miles and going (300 miles per week). Transmission shows the age (acts sluggish especially from 1st to 2nd, all other shifts are normal). Changed alternator after 202K miles. Have been changing oil, transmission fluid, coolant at specified intervals. Changed per steering fluid @ 205K miles. 21 city 25 Hwy mpg. Love it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What were the symptoms before the tranny dropped out? Mine shudders when it shifts between 2nd & 3rd as best I can determine. thanks btw, how bad was that tranny fix in $ ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
replacement trannie

If you go for a replacement trannie, go for a Jasper rebuilt.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I did have the recall work performed on my new when purchased 2002 Odyssey, and have been lucky, 441,000K on the original transmission and counting. I don't know if the earlier year Odyssey's had the recall. The tranny in my van has always shifted a little awkward but seems to keep on working. I have the fluid changed every year regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Frequent fluid changes help, plus adding a good external cooler and even a Magnefine filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We made it to 324,000 on the original transmission with our '01 with just the recommended maintenance schedule. We had a reman transmission put in and we're now at 337,000. An external cooler was installed with the reman.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2000 Ody going strong!

All these threads about tranny issues is starting to make me worry. I wonder what are the statistical chances that I'll make it to 75K or 100K miles without paying thousands for a new transmission. If it's almost a certain thing, then I'm likely going to buy an extended warranty.

Ody transmission that's fine after 75K mi = Does it exist?!

BTW, in cold mornings, the transmissions is already slightly jerky during the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. 28K miles. Hope it doesn't happen again.
I know this is an older post but I have a 2000 Odyssey I purchased in 2004 with 13,500 miles on it. As one might imagine it was in nearly mint condition. I drove it as a daily car for about two years service done by my local Honda dealership. Since it had a dealer installed tow hitch receiver, at one point I decided to try towing my 5 X 8 enclosed Wells Cargo trailer. I used it fairly frequently towing between TN and OH and to Florida several times. I continued to have the dealer do interval service and some oil changes if I was home. I now have 227,000 miles on this vehicle and it is still the original transmission! I have had several drain and fills on the fluid but nothing else. About a year ago I needed all 4 motor mounts replaced a clean out of the filter screen on the power steering pump and a rebuild of the starter as the solenoid was failing. I, of course, had the timing belt changed a number of year ago I think at about 125,000 miles so I am actually due to have that done again. Currently I was having some A/C issues that I originally thought to be the compressor failed but it turned out to be a freon leak in the condenser and also both electric cooling fans were getting old and unbalanced and beginning to fail. My mechanic suggested replacing them both which is being done along with the condenser. This is a small amount of work that had to be done considering the vehicle is 18 years old at this point but still running strong!

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Man, I love hearing stories like these. Good stuff, citizens.

Approaching 195k and 185k on our 2002 & 2003 EX's, respectively. Original A/T's, however we have tapered off the towing duties considerably over the last couple years. Both vans are primarily in-town family taxis, now. Still on the single drain/refill ATF regimen every 15,000 miles for not just these two vans, but all of our vehicles (Altima, Accord and Civic).

OF

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, it is possible! I have a 2004 Ody EX-L w/Nav that has 178,000 and have had absolutely no problems with my transmission. I have the dealer perform the service that Honda recommends, at the intervals they recommend. I know that some folks don't like to use a dealer for one reason or another, but I have to say honestly that the dealer we use has always done excellent work at a reasonable cost. We have always used Honda to service our vehicles, even though I know it probably costs more to do so, but by doing so we know that the techs are all certified and trained by Honda. It's interesting that just about every time I take my van in for service, my service writer always reminds me that if I ever want to sell my van to please let him know first - there are two techs that want to buy it from me. Anyway, as I have said, I have had zero problems with my transmission - it shifts smoothly, doesn't slip, and does what it is supposed to do!

·
Registered
409 Posts
My dad's 2002 has almost 190k on it and I believe original fluid. I haven't had a chance to check the maintenance records given to us by the original owners.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2003 EX-L Transmission is in excellent condition with. My mechanic goes by fluid color rather than by mileage, and then does a complete recirculating flush. At 80K I added a separate transmission cooler which makes all the difference. I don't like the way the transmission downshifts when braking, and that probably is the source of premature deaths.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The cooler the car comes with is inadequate. So a good external helps. And fluid changes get rid both of damaged fluid and also junk in the fluid. The Magnefine ought to add a bit more by pulling very fine particles out.
The factory transm cooler is shared with the engine radiator. Talk about a dumb design!

As soon as I heard that both the Ridgeline and the Pilot use the same transm, BUT have a separate transm cooler, I said I want me one.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
The factory transm cooler is shared with the engine radiator. Talk about a dumb design!

As soon as I heard that both the Ridgeline and the Pilot use the same transm, BUT have a separate transm cooler, I said I want me one.
Not really so dumb as it helps warm the ATF during real cold weather and it also helps cool the ATF during hot weather or when the ATF gets hot.
The bottom of the radiator is the coolest part of the radiator. Fluid over tubes transfers heat better than air over tubes.
Still, an aux atf cooler in front of the condenser can keep the atf much cooler, esp if you pull a trailer, etc. Modern ATFs work very well at higher temps than the old ones.
I have 190k miles on my original AT (03) with no aux cooler, and it is still doing well. Keeping my fingers crossed. :eek:

Pixburd54,
I also rely on ATF color, besides mileage. If it starts getting dark, I do a drain and fill. I use Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF and it is less than $20 per drain and fill and is very easy to do myself, esp since I bought a long stemmed funnel from Walmart which fits tightly OVER the dipstick tube. :cheers:

Buffalo4

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did a transmission swap on a 2003 Honda Pilot, and Jasper provided a new trans cooler and the instructions specifically says to bypass the radiator.

Luckily we live in Hawaii, but would Jasper recommend this if we lived in Canada or Alaska?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1561 - 1580 of 1596 Posts