Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see if anyone has pinpointed the rattle in the back drivers side of the van. At first I thought it was the jack and tools but they are tight. Any thoughts or suggestions?

------------------
2002 Starlight Silver EXL-RES

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 02ODDYSEA:
Just curious to see if anyone has pinpointed the rattle in the back drivers side of the van. At first I thought it was the jack and tools but they are tight. Any thoughts or suggestions?

</font>
I'm still trying to figure it out on my '02. I thought it might be the seat belts, but that wasn't it. I too tried the jack and tools, but that didn't solve the problem. My wife suggested driving around with the magic seat down and seeing if that dampened or eliminated the problem, but it didn't. I'm getting close to heading back to the dealer unless someone here has some better suggestions. Let me know if you figure out the source.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Another sleeper that took me a long time to find is the rattle in the center seat risers.

If your center seats are empty when you hear the rattle, bang on the armrests with your fist. If the seat rattles you need to do a little work on the rear latches.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So far I have found several causes for the rear rattles (both sides on my 02).

1 - Use the palm of your hand and tap lightly on the rear trim panels just above the cargo hold. You will find one obvious source of the rattles. Most all of the interior trim panls rattle on mine.

2 - The slider cover panels rattle on my van using the same technique. The slider covers are the narrow strips on the exterior just above the slots for the rear sliders. Mine rattle on both sides of the van.

3 - The rear speaker covers.

4 - The cover on the rear passengers side storage compartment (near the cup holders).

5 - Both of the new middle row seat mounted cupholders rattle when in the closed position.

6 - Both sliding door seals make noise as they rub togeather when going over bumps.

7 - There is a noise somewhere in the undercarriage in the area of the exhaust pipe.

8 - There is a rattle coming from inside the area where the air conditioning unit is located.

There are other noise sources but these are the ones I've found so far that relate to the back of the van.

------------------

See my Pics

Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input you have provided so far. I will try all these tonight.

------------------
2002 Starlight Silver EXL-RES

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did heard a rattle while driving. I did noticed it after sliding the back seat to the middle next to the left seat. I realized that the rattle came from the arm rests. Both arm rests were rubbing against each other. So I lifted one of the arm rests and the rattle was gone. I do not know if that was the same rattle you heard in your ody. But that's the only rattle I hear so far in my ody. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here's another source: when the Magic Seat is in the upright and locked position, the latches torque as I go over and around things (if that's the way to describe it.) It drives me absolutely nuts. Sounds like an old pick-up. Sometimes I'll unlatch and just let the seat "sit" on the latches, not a safe alternative even if I'm not carrying anyone. I'm thinking of lining the latches or something with plastic. Anyone have any suggestions? I hate noises!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:
Here's another source: when the Magic Seat is in the upright and locked position, the latches torque as I go over and around things (if that's the way to describe it.) It drives me absolutely nuts. Sounds like an old pick-up. Sometimes I'll unlatch and just let the seat "sit" on the latches, not a safe alternative even if I'm not carrying anyone. I'm thinking of lining the latches or something with plastic. Anyone have any suggestions? I hate noises! </font>
Sometimes a little bit of lube up inside the latches and on the latching surface helps. You might try rubbing some candle wax around the stationary latch bail that's attached to the sides of the van. It's clean and just might be enough to stop the racket. I agree - I HATE NOISES, TOO!!!

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts