Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my new Ody -- 2 weeks old today -- and 504 miles! I had a nice conosole unit in my old van, which I kept paper, pencils, change, cd/tapes, coupons, change, scissors, snacks, etc. in. Unfortunately it doesn't fit between the front seats on the Ody because of the folding tray. Has anyone found a handy full-size console that works with the tray? Or can the tray be removed?

thanks,
Karen

·
Registered
234 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2002 odyowner2b:
I love my new Ody -- 2 weeks old today -- and 504 miles! I had a nice conosole unit in my old van, which I kept paper, pencils, change, cd/tapes, coupons, change, scissors, snacks, etc. in. Unfortunately it doesn't fit between the front seats on the Ody because of the folding tray. Has anyone found a handy full-size console that works with the tray? Or can the tray be removed?

thanks,
Karen
</font>

I removed my Ody Tray and installed a console from WalMart with drawers, and deeper cupholders for about $30.00.

·
Registered
32 Posts

I have this console. From driving my mom's 2001 Ody, I knew that the tray is useless for storage. So when I read about this particular console on this forum, I ran to K-Mart to buy one even before our Ody came in. (I know others ordered theirs from www.heartlandamerica.com) I think I paid about $49. They had beige and grey, and the grey matches nicely with my quartz interior. It fits snugly between the folded-down tray and the driver seat. The interior is enormous and has a light. I keep the wireless headsets in there, plus tissues, my walkman, disposable camera, juice boxes and more. There are 2 external power outlets and another on the inside which is great for charging my cell phone. The front and back drawers are handy for holding litter and remove easily for emptying.

------------------
Erika
'02 SS Ody EXL-RES
'95 Honda Accord LX

·
Registered
194 Posts
Erica - did you slit the carpet and run the power cord underneath or do you just have the cord running above the carpet to the power outlet?

Maybe the floor is not such a bad location for the power outlet after all?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Regarding the power: If you have power seats, then you have at least one, probably two, always hot 20A circuits you can easily tap into under the driver's seat. Removing the seat is a four bolt job. These circuits are only used for the power seat, hence they're virtually always available for whatever load you want to power.

I installed three 12V sockets in a 4" electrical handy box right next to my CD changer (a Sony 10-disc) under the seat.

It'd be pretty easy to either install outlets, like I did, hardwire into the power seat circuit (easy to do, but not the best choice), or install a quick connect, e.g., a 2-connector trailer connector. I'd recommend option 1 or 3. These options leave the existing power outlet available and don't have wires exposed where they're likely to be seen or snagged.

Mel

·
Registered
32 Posts
"Erica - did you slit the carpet and run the power cord underneath or do you just have the cord running above the carpet to the power outlet?"

I did neither. I ran the cord under the floor mat. Only about 1/2 inch of the cord shows between where the mat ends and the power outlet near the floor.

------------------
Erika
'02 SS Ody EXL-RES
'95 Honda Accord LX

[This message has been edited by mstaebo (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
79 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:
Regarding the power: If you have power seats, then you have at least one, probably two, always hot 20A circuits you can easily tap into under the driver's seat.
Mel
</font>
Is there any wire confusion between the seat movement circuits and the seat heater wiring??

------------------
2002 EX-L NAV RRP
http://pages.prodigy.net/leo.waltz/ody/rocket2.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
I won't be getting 2002 GG EXL-RES until next week, so does anyone know if this console fits between the rear seats?

If so, will the power cord reach to the power outlet in the rear of the Ody?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lwaltz:
Is there any wire confusion between the seat movement circuits and the seat heater wiring??

</font>
I don't know, I have a 2001--no leather, no heater

Nevertheless, it should be pretty easy to identify either by the wire color or by pulling fuses. Also, the supply to the seat is hot all the time, while the heater will be switched.

Mel

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is this console good looking (blend in with a leather interior) or just cheesy plastic? It looks fairly utilitarian

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's definitely plastic, not sure if I'd call it "cheesy" or not. When I first took it out of the box, I remember thinking, "Oh geez, it looks kind of cheap." But once I put it in the van, it didn't look so bad at all -- I guess because you really only see the top of it once it's in. It really does fit quite snugly between the driver seat and the folded down tray. There is a bump between the seats, so I did place a piece of folded thick cardboard underneath it to level it. I've listened for squeaks or rattles but haven't heard any.

I'm not sure about the beige, but the grey matches my quartz interior quite well. Everyone who has been in my van has thought it's built in. Today the Honda service guy who was placing my inspection sticker saw it and said, "Hey that's nice, is that a Honda accessory?"

However, it's definitely not luxurious looking, so if you're worried about it not being up to par with the leather interior, then you should probably skip this console. I have the leather too, but I absolutely need all the storage space this console provides. The extra power outlets, especially the interior one, are cool too.

Anyway if you find one at Walmart or Kmart you can always return it if you hate it.

------------------
Erika
'02 SS Ody EXL-RES
'95 Honda Accord LX

[This message has been edited by mstaebo (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mstaebo:

Anyway if you find one at Walmart or Kmart you can always return it if you hate it.

</font>
Thanks for your input - I will try it out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The power under the driver's seat is also used for the subwoofer.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:
Regarding the power: If you have power seats, then you have at least one, probably two, always hot 20A circuits you can easily tap into under the driver's seat. Removing the seat is a four bolt job. These circuits are only used for the power seat, hence they're virtually always available for whatever load you want to power.

I installed three 12V sockets in a 4" electrical handy box right next to my CD changer (a Sony 10-disc) under the seat.

It'd be pretty easy to either install outlets, like I did, hardwire into the power seat circuit (easy to do, but not the best choice), or install a quick connect, e.g., a 2-connector trailer connector. I'd recommend option 1 or 3. These options leave the existing power outlet available and don't have wires exposed where they're likely to be seen or snagged.

Mel
</font>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts