Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going through the threads and haven't seen anyone mentioning an aftermarket hitch being installed. What I really want to know is if the aftermarket will come up with a hitch that doesn't require cutting the rear bumper.

My '02 was easy, 6 bolts and 30 minutes, done.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I don't know about that but I can't see that being an advantage. If you don't cut the bumper the hitch must be mounted (or extend) lower resulting in decreased ground clearance at the rear. We had this setup with our 2008 Sienna and hit bottom on several occasions when backing off off the road at the lake to launch our Sea Doo or sailboat.

You can see pictures on this forum of a Honda installed hitch. It is a pretty clean install.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about that but I can't see that being an advantage. If you don't cut the bumper the hitch must be mounted (or extend) lower resulting in decreased ground clearance at the rear. We had this setup with our 2008 Sienna and hit bottom on several occasions when backing off off the road at the lake to launch our Sea Doo or sailboat.

You can see pictures on this forum of a Honda installed hitch. It is a pretty clean install.
Agreed, I'm not excited about cutting the bumper but obviously will do it. I want to see some aftermarket installs before I commit though. Curt and Hidden Hitch have models they say they'll fit but, again, I want to see it.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Based on the installs I've seen, I can't see why anyone would want to avoid cutting the bumper unless you plan to remove the hitch at some point or sell the van without the hitch. It is a really clean install although it is pricier than some aftermarket options. I am just waiting for the dealer to get one in and we'll be getting ours installed (probably this coming week). I can post some pictures once it is done.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The hidden hitch mounts easily. 6 bolts and no need to take the tailpipe down. There is a plastic filler piece on the left side that has to taken out for the install. I had to cut a small notch in it to reinstall it. The hitch does hang down more than the Honda one. I might have spent the extra $ for the Honda hitch if I had seen it prior to ordering this one. Taking the bumper off and cutting it adds to the install time, but it would look better.

I did get a wiring kit from ETrailer.com for $39.00 that plugs into the Honda wiring. It doesn't go through the existing hole to get outside though. Since I won't be towing a lot, the cable is inside and I put it out the tailgate when needed. One of these days I will cut and splice it so I can run it outside.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got ours installed by the dealership. It looks great. We had an 2002 odyssey that we had a local shop put on and this one looks much better.

·
Banned
728 Posts
The hidden hitch mounts easily. 6 bolts and no need to take the tailpipe down. There is a plastic filler piece on the left side that has to taken out for the install. I had to cut a small notch in it to reinstall it. The hitch does hang down more than the Honda one. I might have spent the extra $ for the Honda hitch if I had seen it prior to ordering this one. Taking the bumper off and cutting it adds to the install time, but it would look better.

I did get a wiring kit from ETrailer.com for $39.00 that plugs into the Honda wiring. It doesn't go through the existing hole to get outside though. Since I won't be towing a lot, the cable is inside and I put it out the tailgate when needed. One of these days I will cut and splice it so I can run it outside.
Did you install a transmission cooler?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Based on the installs I've seen, I can't see why anyone would want to avoid cutting the bumper unless you plan to remove the hitch at some point or sell the van without the hitch. It is a really clean install although it is pricier than some aftermarket options. I am just waiting for the dealer to get one in and we'll be getting ours installed (probably this coming week). I can post some pictures once it is done.
I agree the factory hitch is a clean install. Look forward to the pics.

Can you post some pics! Price is certainly a reason for non-Honda hitch. I can see how other companies would use the "no cutting involved" tag as a marketing tool, but, as previously mentioned, ground clearance and aesthetics can be an issue.

Did you install a transmission cooler?
I would strictly use mine for a bike rack, but I know where your coming from. It's the reason I got one for my '02.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah, after hearing about someone that had tranny issues taking theirs (older model) to the dealer for warranty service basically being told that because he had an after-market hitch without the tranny cooler (only for a bike rack), clearly he must've been towing something heavy and caused damage, i think i'll stick with the dealer install even thought 80% of my towing will be a bike rack.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, after hearing about someone that had tranny issues taking theirs (older model) to the dealer for warranty service basically being told that because he had an after-market hitch without the tranny cooler (only for a bike rack), clearly he must've been towing something heavy and caused damage, i think i'll stick with the dealer install even thought 80% of my towing will be a bike rack.
It doesn't matter who made the hitch, it's having a hitch and not having a cooler installed.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I'm not sure if the cooler makes a difference for light towing or a bike rack, but if you do have a transmission problem , it would raise questions on Honda's part. I chose the Honda part because it is a clean install and provides the best ground clearance on a vehicle that only has 6" of clearance to begin with. I also had a bad experience with an aftermarket hitch on our 2008 Sienna. In addition to ground clearance issues, the electronic light control module that the hitch company installed did not have a fuse link in it. So, when I hooked up a friend's utility trailer that had a ground fault problem, it blew the $90.00 module and took out the van's brake lights and turn signal lights until I could have the module replaced. I never hooked a trailer other than our own up to that van again.

My friend drives an MDX with a Honda hitch installed. He says the electronic module includes an inline fuse so if there is a wiring problem, the fuse blows instead of the module. Smart.

My hitch gets installed tomorrow. I can post pictures after it is done for those interested.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm not sure if the cooler makes a difference for light towing or a bike rack, but if you do have a transmission problem , it would raise questions on Honda's part. I chose the Honda part because it is a clean install and provides the best ground clearance on a vehicle that only has 6" of clearance to begin with. I also had a bad experience with an aftermarket hitch on our 2008 Sienna. In addition to ground clearance issues, the electronic light control module that the hitch company installed did not have a fuse link in it. So, when I hooked up a friend's utility trailer that had a ground fault problem, it blew the $90.00 module and took out the van's brake lights and turn signal lights until I could have the module replaced. I never hooked a trailer other than our own up to that van again.

My friend drives an MDX with a Honda hitch installed. He says the electronic module includes an inline fuse so if there is a wiring problem, the fuse blows instead of the module. Smart.

My hitch gets installed tomorrow. I can post pictures after it is done for those interested.
Agreed, the Honda hitch is the only way to go on the Oddy, it gives the most ground clearance in the rear, on our previous Oddy I had occassional issues (ground clearance, hitting in the back on certain driveways) with the aftermarket hitch I had installed myself , once I went to the Honda one, no more problems.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agreed, the Honda hitch is the only way to go on the Oddy, it gives the most ground clearance in the rear, on our previous Oddy I had occassional issues (ground clearance, hitting in the back on certain driveways) with the aftermarket hitch I had installed myself , once I went to the Honda one, no more problems.
My gut says when the manufactures' of hitches start posting pics of the 4 gen with their hitches installed, it'll look like the current pictures of the 2nd and 3rd gen, a hunk of black metal hanging below the rear bumper:(. <sigh> I'll probably have to suck it up and pay Honda's price.

·
Banned
728 Posts
My gut says when the manufactures' of hitches start posting pics of the 4 gen with their hitches installed, it'll look like the current pictures of the 2nd and 3rd gen, a hunk of black metal hanging below the rear bumper:(. <sigh> I'll probably have to suck it up and pay Honda's price.
I'll post some side and end shot pictures of the Honda hitch tomorrow. My van has an appointment in the morning for the install.

·
Registered
69 Posts
curt

I've been going through the threads and haven't seen anyone mentioning an aftermarket hitch being installed. What I really want to know is if the aftermarket will come up with a hitch that doesn't require cutting the rear bumper.

My '02 was easy, 6 bolts and 30 minutes, done.
i installed a curt hitch purchased on amazon (free ship with prime) for $140. did it myself using a box to hold up the other end. yes, just a few bolts.

didn't have to drop the tail pipe. did have to temporarily de-install 1 of the mud flaps.

·
Banned
728 Posts
i installed a curt hitch purchased on amazon (free ship with prime) for $140. did it myself using a box to hold up the other end. yes, just a few bolts.

didn't have to drop the tail pipe. did have to temporarily de-install 1 of the mud flaps.
Do you have a picture of it installed?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Agreed. Because of some issues with driveway clearance/angle, I would only use the Honda OEM (yes it's alot more $$) which gives the most ground clearance in the rear. That said, the Honda OEM is only visible on the 4 gen at the extreme sides, you can see part of the bar, but far better than the after market ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When we bought our Oddy I was told by my salesman I could tow lightly without having a tranny cooler. Then I started reading on here how ppl were having warranty issues for having a hitch without the cooler. I confronted my salesman about it and he checked into and told me that is correct, If you have a hitch w/o the cooler your warranty will be voided. He also appoligized for giving me the wrong info but that he was told this by his superiors.

So I strongly advised him how unhappy I was for being given the wrong info. I told him the only way to make me happy was for their dealership to install the cooler at no cost to me. A few days later he called me and told me this. We will install the cooler at no cost but I have to buy the hitch and harness from them and have everything installed at once. When asked what this was going to cost me he said a little over 800.00.

I Strongly advised him that this was unacceptable and that I was not paying dealer prices for items I could get much cheaper and install myself. He said that was the best he could do. I said OK I'll just wait for my survey to come and it will be fill out accordingly. He said let me see what I can do and I'll call you back. A few hours later he called and said I could have everything installed and covered under warranty for 426.00 + tax.

I said sounds good and Thank you very Much!! Now just waiting for the parts to come in. I believe that is a fair price, how about you guys? I hated to argue with this salesman because he is a great guy. Probably the best salesman I've ever dealt with and I would highly recommend him to everyone. But sometimes being a nice guy gets you no where. Anyone in the Pittsburgh area looking to get a Honda please pm me and I'll give you this salemans and dealerships name. Very honest and respectful person!!

·
Banned
728 Posts
When we bought our Oddy I was told by my salesman I could tow lightly without having a tranny cooler. Then I started reading on here how ppl were having warranty issues for having a hitch without the cooler. I confronted my salesman about it and he checked into and told me that is correct, If you have a hitch w/o the cooler your warranty will be voided. He also appoligized for giving me the wrong info but that he was told this by his superiors.

So I strongly advised him how unhappy I was for being given the wrong info. I told him the only way to make me happy was for their dealership to install the cooler at no cost to me. A few days later he called me and told me this. We will install the cooler at no cost but I have to buy the hitch and harness from them and have everything installed at once. When asked what this was going to cost me he said a little over 800.00.

I Strongly advised him that this was unacceptable and that I was not paying dealer prices for items I could get much cheaper and install myself. He said that was the best he could do. I said OK I'll just wait for my survey to come and it will be fill out accordingly. He said let me see what I can do and I'll call you back. A few hours later he called and said I could have everything installed and covered under warranty for 426.00 + tax.

I said sounds good and Thank you very Much!! Now just waiting for the parts to come in. I believe that is a fair price, how about you guys? I hated to argue with this salesman because he is a great guy. Probably the best salesman I've ever dealt with and I would highly recommend him to everyone. But sometimes being a nice guy gets you no where. Anyone in the Pittsburgh area looking to get a Honda please pm me and I'll give you this salemans and dealerships name. Very honest and respectful person!!

I'm not sure why you feel the dealership owes you something for giving you wrong information and then correcting it when you asked the salesman. You were talking to the wrong department anyway. I'm also not sure what the relevance is of you being able to buy some 3rd party hitch and install it yourself for less. Why didn't you just do that and buy the transmission cooler from the parts department or go looking for one after market for less.

in any event, I don't know what the parts cost retail (installed in your area). In Canada the hitch, wiring harness and cooler (installed) costs about $1,100.00. The dealership is doing the work for $800.00 taxes in.

The only reason you say the salesman is a reasonable and respectful guy is because you beat him into bending over for some unreasonable person (you). OK, don't get mad but you asked us what we thought. That's what I think.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts