Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Anyone install "new" maps (2021.10)

9K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Stan-qaz 
#1 ·
While these were released "only" six months ago (!), it just popped up in Garmin Express.
Anyone install them yet and notice any difference?

#5 ·
Yesterday I got Honda B1.3.4 and Navigation 2.6.2 + 2021 maps. I had an issue where last time when I upgraded maps (2020.10) the system could not delete 2019.10 maps so I had two versions of maps and sluggish system (running low on paging memory or storage I guess). Yesterday’s update resolved that issue and now I only have 2021.10 maps. System is now super fast. The PDF containing release notes (list of fixes) is on Honda website just search for it on Google and it comes up at the top (search for: Honda odyssey update 1.3.4) Also this is the first time I got it in Canada at the same time as US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Yesterday I got Honda B1.3.4 and Navigation 2.6.2 + 2021 maps. I had an issue where last time when I upgraded maps (2020.10) the system could not delete 2019.10 maps so I had two versions of maps and sluggish system (running low on paging memory or storage I guess). Yesterday’s update resolved that issue and now I only have 2021.10 maps. System is now super fast.
I can confirm this as well. We had the duplicate (2019 + 2020) maps, although this didn't really make a difference in functionality, other than speed (Android and iOS slow down as they near out-of-space).
Pinch-to-zoom (although it's a step-zoom, not fluid) finally works, too.
For reference it took about 25 minutes to install (first 17% took 6 minutes, then I lost track/walked away).
"Restart" after installation took less than 5 seconds.

#10 ·
my findings are consistent over the past week - it's faster (cleaned up redundant 2019+2020 maps); some new stuff; but Google Maps (+ Apple Maps, etc.) are "now", so POI's are woefully outdated.
Even my Nissan's "connected" maps (Internet w/ SiriusXM or Here or whatever) doesn't have the new places that Google does.

#12 ·
I tried to install update on my 2019 Canadian Touring but fail around 8%. anyone has this problem?
What’s the error message? I had that issue but then once I installed the software update which comes with navigation app update, then after that the maps update completed successfully. See my post above abs check to make sure your software is updated to those version (main Honda software and the navigation app)

Canadian 2018 Touring here.

#15 ·

I was getting above Errors when I tried to update Honda software via wifi, Then I went the USB route and it worked.

That updated my Honda main app and the navigation app to the versions in the tech bulletin. Once that was done then I downloaded new maps on the same USB and the maps updated successfully.

#16 ·
1. Go to this website... Subscriptions, Downloads and Updates | Honda Owners Site
Select under UPDATES Get Navigation Updates
2. Fill in: Odyssey than select year
3. Select bottom of page: PLEASE CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE
4. You will need to have a memory stick, for doing the Updates, minimal size is 16GB. 32GB and 64GB will work also (it does for me) the USB memory stick MUST be formatted to FAT 32 format. The Honda ODY cannot read any other format. Also do not use any cheap memory stick as it will not work properly. I use a SanDisk - Cruzer 16GB
USB 2.0 Flash Drive or a Corsair - Voyager 16GB or 32GB 2.0
5. Print out the instruction if you so desire, not needed as it is fairly easy to install from this point. Leave house
computer on, take your newly formatted USB stick with you to your vehicle.
6. Insert the USB stick into the center side front in the center storage, it will not work unless it is in this data port.
7. Start your car and leave on.
8. Select Navigation, Map Tools upper right Looks like a : colon then Map Tools, Settings, Map and Vehicle,
Scroll to the bottom of the page, Select Map Updates.
9. Select “Start Update Process”
10. Please wait while the files are written to the USB. Do not disconnect the USB while on this screen.
11. Select “OK” Remove USB drive from USB port. Please wait 60 seconds before you remove the USB. Shut off
vehicle.
12. Take memory stick with you to the house computer and insert into USB port on your computer.
13. On the same screen that wanted you to print instructions, select Download Garmin Express. This program needs
to be on your house computer.
14. Run the program Garmin Express. Garmin Express will verify if there is a new map update available if there is it
will install onto the USB memory stick. When it is done, take the memory stick back to your vehicle and insert
again into vehicle USB data port, start your vehicle.
15. On the Navigation Application go to Settings > Map & Vehicle > Update Maps. Press "Start Update Process" and
follow the on-screen prompts to complete the update.
If all successful, Remove the USB stick and shut off the vehicle. The data on the USB memory stick is no longer needed. I would mark this stick for HONDA NAVI, and format it again with FAT 32, to be ready for next future update.

#21 ·
Just successfully updated 2018 map to 2021. Some other poster mentioned updating with the engine off.
I didn't start the Honda after inserting the USB stick with the updated map. Instead I just used Accessory mode and stayed in the van (with drivers door closed) and read a book.
The update took about 30 minutes using a new 32gb USB 3 stick

#24 ·
Depending on the update you could be sitting for a long time and there is little you can do to minimize the power draw.

I'm not comfortable with that as I've had updates take a lot longer than 30 minutes and even this last one didn't take on the first try and I had to sit for another run.

Idle or a (big enough) maintainer would be my suggestion. How big I don't know but I'm pretty sure my 2 Amp is not big enough, although it would help some.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.