Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are picking up our '01 SS EX w/ Nav tonight, and the dealer wanted too much for the IVES, plus they are about 45 minutes away, and we didn't want to have to drive back to have it installed (they don't have it in stock).

I was thinking about buying the IVES system from H-And-A Accessories and just installing it myself. I was looking through their instructions, and they have a big warning that it's not for the do-it-yourselfer. However, I am a pretty technical person, I can build computers, have always connected and configured my complicated home video system, and when I was younger I did a lot of car stereo installations for myself and my friends. I think I might be able to handle it.

Has anyone on this board installed this system before, and how difficult was it?

·
Registered
368 Posts
check out the "jensen installation" thread in this forum, or in the gallery. Both the Jensen system and the ives are essentially the same install...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I installed a jensen system using the same basic instructions as the IVES if you are willint to pop 1400 the Ives is the way to go. I would wait a few months and see if Honda comes out with a factory DVD system if you are willing to pay for it. otherwise there are many cheaper options. look through the previous 3 months on this thread and you will get lots of ideas
You sound like you would have no problem. Welcome to the club Email me with any questions!
Pics of my jensen install
www.fototime.com/inv/6DA8042E615DF22

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input.

Although we are interested in DVD, about 90% of our kids videos are on VHS. Most new stuff we do purchase on DVD (within reason), so DVD will become an issue in the future. I like the idea of adding a Playstation 2, that way we have VHS, DVD and video games.

What I like about the IVES is the location of the VCR. I think that console that mounts at the bottom of the dash looks very well integrated. Our kids are very young (1 and 4), so I don't really think mounting the VCR under the seat is a good option - we need to have it where we can control it.

Do you know of any other systems that have the nice console like the IVES? I don't mind spending the $1400 on the IVES, but if there is something better or equally good and cheaper available, I would like to know about it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
mikester,

The instructions for all but the most basic Honda accessories havs the "do it yourself" warning. Approach this either of two ways, and you'll come up with the same answer.

1) Is the guy that preps cars at the dealership more qualified than you?

2) Would you rather install a generic "one size fits all" accessory, or one that is made exclusively for your vehicle, with plug-in wireing harnesses, and instructions specific to your vehicle?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your comments. I have ordered the IVES from HandA and I will install it myself this weekend. The more I look over the instructions, the more I think I can handle the install. The instructions are VERY good, and the fact that everything is designed for the Odyssey, with plug in harnesses, etc., makes it that much easier.

I'll let you all know how it goes. If I get a chance, I may try to document the install, but I'm not promising anything. We are taking a short roadtrip Saturday afternoon, so I am thinking about doing the install Friday night, which means the lighting will probably not be good enough for taking pictures, but we'll see.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Go for it dude! I think you're the first person on the forum here to install the iVES yourself (Jensen installs don't count).

I'll be curious to see how it goes.

------------------
Marvyn
2001 SS EX-NAVI (1700 mi)
Mud Flaps * Cargo Tray * Leather Steering Wheel Wrap * Blaupunkt 652 Speakers * Hyper-brand 'super bright' Headlights * Weathertech Floor Mats * PIAA Xtreme White 7440 Backup Lights

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, my wife called and the IVES came in today from H and A. I will be leaving work in the next hour or so to go home and start installing it. We have a kid's birthday party to go to tomorrow afternoon that is about an hour drive each way. I am going to try to get the install finished before then so we can test it out.

I'll try to take some pictures and document the install to share with everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mikester:
Well, my wife called and the IVES came in today from H and A. I will be leaving work in the next hour or so to go home and start installing it. We have a kid's birthday party to go to tomorrow afternoon that is about an hour drive each way. I am going to try to get the install finished before then so we can test it out.

I'll try to take some pictures and document the install to share with everyone.
</font>
I want to see it in action if you feel like meeting up somewhere. I'm on the NW section of town in Copperfield.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, I just responded to you in another thread.

We live in Riata Ranch, so we are very close. We go to Copperfield all the time, because that is where the closest restaurants and stuff are for us. Should be easy to meet up some time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts