Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Costs $249.60, plus 57.76 for hood switch from H A. Dealer wants $799 installed (probably without hood switch).

Looks like alot of work.

------------------
2002 EP LX
1998 Civic DX, Blue
1992 Civic LX, Dark Red (154k miles, anyone want to buy it, runs great!)

Previous Hondas:
1987 Prelude, Gray (totaled in 2000 w/188k miles)
1978 Accord, Red

Other cars:
1982 Ford EXP (We all make mistakes!)
1969 Olds Delta 88 (with 10 speed bike in back seat in case it broke down)

Other:
2000 Yardman mower with a Honda engine.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Steve R has (Intrepid175).

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000393.html

Perhaps he may be able to comment.

I'd say compared to a aftermarket alarm install, this one is easy. For someone who's never done any of this kind of work, it could be a little tough.

The Honda alarm will be the easiest for the DIYer to install. No wire splicing, no special mounting concerns, etc... Everything is plug an play, you just drill one hole for the LED into plastic(easy).

Another option is buy the alarm from HandA, and have a dealer or mechanic or alarm install person do the labor for you. You'll save some bucks this way, and not have to lay hands on your Ody.

I'd figure no more than 2 hours labor charge for a pro.

Hope this helps!

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shin John! I emailed Steve.

I realy like not having to splice into the Ody wiring harnesses. The thing that bothers me the most is having to pry out a few plastic covers and panels!! I'd hate to break or scratch them, I've only had it less than a week. The pastic is even easier to break in the sub-freezing temps we get here. It's a bit warmer in the garage though.

The dealer we bought the Ody from won't install the alarm if we buy it from Handa (what a surprise!) because they can't warrantee parts you don't buy from them.

------------------
2002 EP LX
1998 Civic DX, Blue

Previous Hondas:
1978 Accord, Red

Other cars:

Other:

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've answered DWF's email. I hope he finds it useful.

For the benefit of the Odyclub, I found the installation process to be very straight forward and not significantly difficult. As Shinjohn pointed out, the Ody is prewired for this unit and it works well.

The only problem I had in the installation involved my own incorrect assumptions during the process and Trevor at H&A was great about getting me straightened out in that regard.

BTW, DWF, I think your dealers attitude that they can't warrant the installation of the alarm system if you don't buy the unit from "them" is total BS!! I've worked for Ford and Chrysler dealers and we "never" made that kind of statement to a customer who brought a factory part in for installation that was bought somewhere else. If I'm disappointed in Honda about anything, it's that they do seem to go out of their way, compared to other manufacturers I've had dealings with, to find excuses "not" to cover something under warrantee. My Ody is my first new Honda automobile but I've bought two new Honda motorcycles in the past 8 years and I've had a couple of time where I was told that Honda "might not" cover a warrantee claim. In both times, it didn't become an issue because Honda came through but I must say, I'm getting tired of being told that.

Good luck with your installation DWF and let us know how it goes!

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 12-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 12-30-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Intrepid175:
BTW, DWF, I think your dealers attitude that they can't warrant the installation of the alarm system if you don't buy the unit from "them" is total BS!! I've worked for Ford and Chrysler dealers and we "never" made that kind of statement to a customer who brought a factory part in for installation that was bought somewhere else. If I'm disappointed in Honda about anything, it's that they do seem to go out of their way, compared to other manufacturers I've had dealings with, to find excuses "not" to cover something under warrantee. My Ody is my first new Honda automobile but I've bought two new Honda motorcycles in the past 8 years and I've had a couple of time where I was told that Honda "might not" cover a warrantee claim. In both times, it didn't become an issue because Honda came through but I must say, I'm getting tired of being told that.
</font>
I second that. I'm not sure what the deal is with that dealer... What, he can't warrant even his work? Give me a @#$#! break!

If the parts are bought from an authorized dealer (and HandA IS) and you have a receipt, there's no way they shouldn't honor a parts warranty too.

Your dealer is jerking you around, making excuses. I'd give them an earful or just never go back.

Just think.. you can go to a local alarm install shop, get a real nice alarm installed into your Ody for under $250 parts and labor, and have it warranted for the life of your vehicle. These aftermarket guys have to cut/splice wiring, etc.. too so they have more to worry about. But they will stand behind their product and labor. Then this dealer doesn't want to stand behind the easiest installed FACTORY alarm purchased from an authorized dealer. Ridiculous.

These dealers really need to learn and understand the meaning of the words "Customer Service". Something it seems oh so many in the "service" industry have absolutely no clue about.... OK, enough ranting...

Best of luck to ya!

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice Steve. Any problem prying out the panels/covers?? That's my biggest worry, damaging the
plastic.

I've been prying away at my 98 Civic this weekend to install speakers, but it's 4 years old, not 1 week. I call that
car the "rolling garbage can" since my wife drove it before we got the Ody last week, she never throws anything away,
it ends up on the floor of the car. I hope to finish cleaning it up this weekend. No eating in the Ody!! But that's
another rant.

Actually, the dealer was very good during the buying process. It may have been the salesman that told me the alarm may
not be warranted if the parts weren't bought from them. Since Handa is an authorized dealer, I would think any local
dealer would install them without a problem.

I'm the "do it yourself" type ( I've watched This Old House and Hometime since the beginning), but with 3 kids (4 & 2
years & 7 weeks old) I don't have allot of time to spend anymore. I've done allot around the house: tile floors;
suspended ceiling; ceiling fans; whole house fan; replaced all of the light fixtures, switches and power outlets in the
house; and added 3 new electrical circuits & network wires (I really like electricity). I have no problem fishing
wires, but have almost fallen through the ceiling once doing it. It's the little slips that can ruin an otherwise
great job.

I'd like to install the alarm myself, not only to save money, but for the challenge.

My next challenge is to figure out how to park this Ody beast, I've been driving small cars for years (see my sig).
I've only tried a couple of times so far, with less than stellar results.

Thanks again for your help.

------------------
2002 EP LX
1998 Civic DX, Blue

Previous Hondas:
1978 Accord, Red

Other cars:

Other:

·
Registered
55 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DWF:
Any problem prying out the panels/covers?? That's my biggest worry, damaging the plastic.</font>
If you got the install instructions from H&A and read http://www.ebicom.net/~dhyams/odyssey.html,
you shouldn't have any problems. Also go to chucks webpage at http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?userid={9199C75E-59AE-47C8-9052-29D38D5FE2C8}&albumid={BC960B3B-F6CF-11D4-8932-00A0CC250C96}
Theres a nice tip on the Center dash panel removal.

I just did mine last week. Hardest thing to take out for me was removing the upper and lower steering columns. You should start removing it from the right side where the gear levers at. And another thing, the written instructions never mention anything about an extra ground wire. You shouldnt have any problems. If I can do it, then anyone can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts