Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate how the OEM rack has a set of rails, then the crossbars, then you add your storage.. that stack up is like 5+ inches of wasted space. I have been thinking of reaching out to a few roof rack companies from the off-road / overland side of things and trying to work out a rack on the Ody.

If i can show more people have some interest it might help make it a reality.
I am thinking a rack similar to the style here:
Vehicle Car Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive carrying rack Automotive parking light Car

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,443 Posts
What exactly does this achieve?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A roof rack to mount things to. Skiis, Bikes, kayaks, travel great, cargo boxes... But with a lower profile then OEM options

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I don't see that much extra room. Just enough to clear the sunroof when it's tilted up. Maybe you're using an incorrect box?
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't see that much extra room. Just enough to clear the sunroof when it's tilted up. Maybe you're using an incorrect box?
View attachment 164286
I've seen one with a basket style on top and it looked ridiculously high off the van.

Plus I'm thinking a full roof length instead of starting at the sunroof. Add more storage, more adjustability, and might look nice too

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I've seen one with a basket style on top and it looked ridiculously high off the van.

Plus I'm thinking a full roof length instead of starting at the sunroof. Add more storage, more adjustability, and might look nice too
Ah, gotcha. Well, I'd like to see where this would go. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Two things come to mind with this post:

1. I saw a Land Rover today with a box-style roof rack similar to the one you posted but much higher. It looked ridiculous to me (although I'm sure some would find it useful - I just imagined somebody going on Safari in Africa with leather suitcases, etc.)

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

2. There seems that there are no shortage of ideas on how to "improve" on the Honda Odyssey. For all we all enjoy about our amazing - safe - comfortable Odysseys, there's something that ticks off somebody or bothers somebody else about each generation of Odyssey. For example, I'd LOVE for there to be a way to "hijack" the Navigation button on my Touring to slip in an Apple Car Play signal and easily use that on the screen, but due to our ridiculously (technically) complicated stereo, we can't even swap it out for another double-din radio without losing rear DVD, Noise Reduction, Right Camera Lanewatch and vehicle controls that are displayed through the upper screen. And the 5 second delay when calling for SIRI via Bluetooth drives me crazy. Why couldn't they have put in a faster processor? Oh, and the default USB port charges an iPhone ridiculously slowly.

I love reading ideas on how each of us would improve on the "standard" things Honda saw fit to include in our vehicles. We could write a book on how much we enjoy our vans BUT how much we would change individually if we had an opportunity. Thanks for making this one of the most interesting message boards on the web y'all.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Two things come to mind with this post:

1. I saw a Land Rover today with a box-style roof rack similar to the one you posted but much higher. It looked ridiculous to me (although I'm sure some would find it useful - I just imagined somebody going on Safari in Africa with leather suitcases, etc.)

View attachment 164394

2. There seems that there are no shortage of ideas on how to "improve" on the Honda Odyssey. For all we all enjoy about our amazing - safe - comfortable Odysseys, there's something that ticks off somebody or bothers somebody else about each generation of Odyssey. For example, I'd LOVE for there to be a way to "hijack" the Navigation button on my Touring to slip in an Apple Car Play signal and easily use that on the screen, but due to our ridiculously (technically) complicated stereo, we can't even swap it out for another double-din radio without losing rear DVD, Noise Reduction, Right Camera Lanewatch and vehicle controls that are displayed through the upper screen. And the 5 second delay when calling for SIRI via Bluetooth drives me crazy. Why couldn't they have put in a faster processor? Oh, and the default USB port charges an iPhone ridiculously slowly.

I love reading ideas on how each of us would improve on the "standard" things Honda saw fit to include in our vehicles. We could write a book on how much we enjoy our vans BUT how much we would change individually if we had an opportunity. Thanks for making this one of the most interesting message boards on the web y'all.
Most of things you seem to refer to are 4th gen odyssey, correct? 🙂 Processor on the new Odyssey entertainment system seems to be quite a bit faster!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Most of things you seem to refer to are 4th gen odyssey, correct? 🙂 Processor on the new Odyssey entertainment system seems to be quite a bit faster!
Yes, 4th generation 2014 is what I have. (And with that I apologize for hijacking the thread with Gen 4 commentary - you're absolutely correct this was posted in Gen 5...my bad!) With the 5th generation, I love the interior look, but (my pet peeve) don't like the RED rear turn signals. I prefer amber as I think it's safer. LOL See what I mean? There's always something we would change if we could. But glad to hear the processor on the entertainment system is faster, and with Car Play, that would be perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Almost looks like a platform for a human/chair/camera you would see on a safari filming. 🦁

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anything mounted on top of your vehicle will impact your mpg while you are driving as it increases the frontal area of the vehicle. If at all possible you want to minimize this so a low profile option may be better. However, with the lack of torque in these Odysseys I would be hesitant to put much of anything up there on top. They already struggle to get down the road with a head wind.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Safe? No. The transmission hesitation issue that the Dealer can't resolve and has an ongoing class action lawsuit almost resulted in a major accident last weekend for my family and I. I don't call that safe.

Amazing? That's a bit of a stretch with so many issues the dealers can't or won't fix. Crackling sound in the radio even after the recall, transmission hesitation, wonky RES, and several other issues I have read about on here that others are experiencing.

After last weekends incident we will be getting rid of the Ody the first chance we get. Unfortunately, with chip shortages and screaming high prices that won't be happening anytime soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts