Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It seems like everyone is trading in their '01 and I was curious if anyone is sticking with theirs. Right now I am undecided.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Keeping. I'll wait 'til after the next re-design/next gen. Then after they iron out the kinks on that model, MAYBE I'll switch ours. But then again, Hondas last forever...

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)
http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I, too, plan to keep my 2001 EX. My history is that I keep vehicles, especially those that I've purchased new quite a while. Three to six years is a short time, and eight to ten is more typical.

I bought my 2001 three months ago to meet my needs for this year and years to come. While the 2002 model has some things that I would like, e.g., +30 horsepower, 5-speed tranny, rear disk brakes, that are improvements over the 2001, they don't diminish the fact that the 2001 meets my needs! It's still a great vehicle.

Besides, I've still got a couple more mods to install, a couple to finish "engineering," plus whatever Chuck comes up with next week to make me think about

Mel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everyone? Who told you that? Nonsense. What's wrong with '01? More things could go wrong with '02. I bought '01 because I wanted to avoid '02 (too many changes + the new plant, and I wasn't able to wait '03).
We are talking about minivans! Does your wife care about +30 horsepower and 5-tranny? Even I don't care about that :) I need a reliable and safe minivan. Nothing else. What are you going to do next year? What about '03? What about AWD? I'll buy a new Ody in 2012 ... NAV will be standard ...THE magic roof also :) Happy driving ...

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm definetly keeping mine! I bought it because they had 3 years to work out the bugs.
The 2002 may still have some teething pains to go through and a total redesign is also on the horizon.

Anyways buying a car is like buying a computer. There is no ideal time to jump into the market. Every year something better will come out.

Just enjoy the van unless you like to give money to the dealer and tax man every year..

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would be perfectly happy with an '01 if I already owned it! There will always be something newer and "better"(?) no matter what you buy-cars and otherwise. Computers are a perfect example. My 400Mhz Pentium 2 is a dinosaur 2 years after I bought it, but it gets the job done just fine. My friends Acura TL (2000) is an outstanding car-of course now he wants a TL-S with 260 HP! So what can you do? Happiness is wanting what you have, not in having what you want!

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Ody just made 5000 miles and is less than 5 months old. We debated whether to wait or not, but the old Caravan was on its last leg and we finally got our long awaited Ody in April. We've had some great trips over this summer with the family. Thanks to Chuck, Jim F, Nemogira and others, I've invested some sweat in a whole bunch of mods: speakers, door electronics, airlifts, towing package, etc. The '01 Ody is a great car and meets our needs. We even had enough room for the in-laws.

Financially, it doesn't make sense to trade her in for the '02. But its sure tempting. The key items on my wish list were for more ponies (like the MDX, regular gas is a pleasure!), 5sp, rear disc brakes, side impact air bags, stiffer springs. So the '02 fits that wish list. The only thing I wanted and still don't know if they have is a better Navi with trip computer (MPG, Dist till empty). The MDX Navi has a feature called "breadcrumbs". Today, the Navi is worthless in small suburbs not on the DVD. All you get is the compass heading. The off road MDX fills in by mapping the trail "off Navi". So it builds the map for you, then you can trace your way back! I'd suggest this is the perfect extension to any Navi system - an ability to add your own roads. Its well worth the flash RAM to add more roads to your system. If the new '02 has this, I might be pushed over the edge.

Production is still limited to 120K Ody's/year. The new plant comes on-line in November 01 with limited production. Meanwhile demand exceeds supply, that's why most of us paid over sticker to get an Ody vs a long 4 - 6 month wait. So it could be argued, that during the next couple of months is the time to sell an Ody, because demand exceeds supply and you have a higher resale. Just 6 months ago, a dealer was offering a demo 3-4 month old Ody for sticker in So. Calif. Next year, they'll be cranking out 15 - 20K Ody's a month. Ody's will be canibalizing Caravan sales, but the premium will be gone. So here we are with the big decision. We've got something that is clearly #1 and the new one is even better. Well grass always looks better on the other side. (Anybody know if the new '02 Navi has a trip comptuer?)

Guess its easy for those still on the waiting list or thinking about an Ody. '02 Ody is the right choice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I not only paid cash for our 2001, I also paid almost 2 grand for sales tax. I have zero desire to pay another 2 grand in sales tax for essentially the same vehicle I just bought 5 months ago! Not counting the additional losses involved!!

No vehicle is "perfect", including the '02. I got what I felt was as close to perfect for our needs, 5 months ago. I did my homework, started shopping/researching just a little over a year ago, put my deposit down late November for an estimated Feb. delivery and took delivery March 2nd. I'm going to say "nevermind" 5 mos. later??? Don't think so!

When I bought our 2001 Ody, I consciously thought this will probably be the last new gasoline car we'll ever buy, with the next one probably being one that runs on Fuel Cells. Since then, Honda has opened up their fuel cell station in Torrence, etc., and I've seen nothing yet to change my thinking... and although the annual upgrades are nice... they're not there yet!

I don't expect nor desire to have any vehcile expenses for the next 10 years beyond maintenance, running costs, insurance, modifications, and Zaino (grin). We only have about 120 some thousand miles on our '90 Accord and I'm quite confident we can double that, plus with our 2001 Ody I feel set until Fuel Cells which I believe will be solidly on the scene in ten years. If I was to trade up a car, it would be the '90 Accord. But when we were actively shopping for a replacement for our PU that we gave to our son which resulted in the Odyssey, we kept remarking when we left dealerships after test driving various vehicles, that we didn't like what we just test drove as much as we liked our old '90 that we drove there in!

When cars cost one-tenth of what they do today, I'd trade every couple years... but they were due for trade in a couple years. You also didn't do that much research or careful shopping, 'cause you knew it would only be dependable for a couple years. Only once did I ever trade a new paid for car for another one within 6 months, and that was a suburu that was showing signs of being a lemon right off.. and it was before "lemon laws" and I didn't want to hassle with the problem any longer after a few months, so I traded it for another make. I feel I have a "plum", or the opposite of a "lemon", with my '01, and I'm confident it will go ten years easier than cars of old would go a couple.

Now, if I was financing the whole enchilada on the '01 and could move the contract over to an "02 with the same car payment, it might help camouflage the loss of double sales tax, etc. on such a move... but I never could handle prolonged, exaggerated monthly pain. I did my pain thing in March, I may be recovered to do it again in about 10 years when the differences will be enough to help lessen the pain. And then I may just replace the then 20 year Accord and consider my 10 year Ody as just hitting middle-age (grin).

In short, Fuel Cells will impress me to do the pain thing again... not 30hp. If want leather (which I don't) I can put that in my '01, if and when the cooler cloth ever wears out.

To put it in another perspective, I first was charmed by the 1st generation Ody when I was getting our timing belt & water-pump replaced on the Accord @ 78,000 miles. The dealer shuttled us in one and I was impressed. I like the second generation's power, towing rating etc., but a couple months ago we went to Laughlin, NV. and I pulled into the parking lot at the outlet mall and parked. When I proudly got out of my brand new '01, I noticed a 1st generation one parked behind me. I couldn't help but think nice honda, and with all my power, etc., he still got there before me and he did it on less gas!

Anyway, on an off-topic side note... I heard many years ago, that in Japan you couldn't legally drive a car over 7 years old, because they wouldn't renew or register/license a car older than 7 years. Does anyone know if that is still true today?? Once fuel cells, or the like, get firmly established here, I wonder how long they'll give existing gasoline powered cars.

Enjoy your new worry! (devious grin),
Skybolt

·
Registered
196 Posts
I agree. We have flaws in the paint on our 01 and Honda has offered to replace it with an 02. If it wasn't for that we would be perfectly happy with the 01. If you follow the posts closely it seems that Honda fixed a lot of the minor problems on the 01 as opposed to adding upgrades. Far less complaints than earlier versions. While we will be happy with 4 wheel discs and the 5 speed and all the other small improvements I don't think it would sway us to trade up. It would be worth considering if we had a 99 perhaps but the 01 is really a great vehicle.

------------------
Tom
2002 MB EX-L Soon!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I am keeping my 01 definitely since in Canada there's no Navigation or Entertainment system for 01 or 02 model either. I just spent around CDN$6000 to installed a Pioneer Navigation + Entertainment system with a PS, VCR, and DVD.
as for leather seats, I personally feel that cloth is much more comfortable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the responses. This was my first post and its reassuring to know that I'm not alone in my decision to stick with the best automobile I've ever bought.

'01 SS LX
'95 Neon (soon to be trashed)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I really really covet the 02 Ody. And I'm confident I could recoup almost the entire price I paid for my 01. But as someone above mentioned, it would kill me to hand another $1500 in sales tax to the state. I have a lot better things to do with that much money. Of course my wife just rolls her eyes when I mention the 02, but on this point she is right. It's not like our 01 stinks in any way. It'll do just fine - and I'll have to drive it a LOT to pile on the miles and wear it out in time for the next gen Ody's!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've been skipping the discussion of the '02 since I didn't want to be tempted. But it is nice to see a balance brought to the discussion when I begin drooling over the '02 brochure and posts of those buying it. We also just paid for the thing, and it would make no economic sense at all to give away the sales tax plus anything else at all just to gain some new features. I really love my '01 of two months...and..it's all MINE.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm keeping my 01 Ody EX. It has the features I wanted and it is the best van. I keep my cars ten years. My last van was a 1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager so you can see why I am delighted with my Ody

------------------
2001 EX, White, Trailer Hitch, Back-up Sensor, Heartland Console, Mudflaps,comp/temp Mirror,Muth signal side mirrors

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry to say guys.
I am selling my 01. I've got a ton of miles and recouped a generous trade-in allowance.

Besides only paying $400.00 add'l sales tax. I will be getting RES and leather to my EX.

Also my Car payments went down $30.00 for the same size loan 1 year ago. True ot will take me 1 year more to pay. But for me to legally pay insurance when I drive my ODY, I need to a car that starts at 0 miles. For those living in NJ/NY especially the 5 boros know what I mean.

'01 ODY w/ 21K miles - $2,400/year (Assumes I actually drive that much...

'01 ODY w/ 10 miles (new) - $1,475/ year

this is a 100/300/50 policy with a 250 deduct. full glass

Quotes from Progressive, GEICO and Tri-State Insurance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Anyway, on an off-topic side note... I heard many years ago, that in Japan you couldn't legally drive a car over 7 years old, because they wouldn't renew or register/license a car older than 7 years. Does anyone know if that is still true today?? Once fuel cells, or the like, get firmly established here, I wonder how long they'll give existing gasoline powered cars.
[/B]</font>
That's practically the case today right here in California.

My father drives a 1984 Prelude. Due to a dealer mishandling the car way back when, he had to have a valve job done on it, but other than that, just regular maintenance has kept it purring like a kitten for the last 17 or so years.

He keeps driving it not because he loves old cars, but because his budget doesn't allow for a replacement.

As you know, California requires smog checks every 2 years. An older car--even a Honda--gets to a point where its impossible to pass that smog test. Sure, there are certain allowances, but they really don't allow for much, and at some point you simply can't pass the test without some kind of major work being done that will cost thousands.

My Dad's Prelude seemed to hit that in last year's smog test.

In essence, they *are* legislating it such that you cannot drive an older car.

I'm still driving an '86 Acura Legend and would continue to do so, were it not for the transmission going out and our vehicular space needs increasing. The difference is I can afford to replace it. He can't. I think the state government's methods are elitist and asanine.

- RW

·
Registered
596 Posts
Please explain why it is cheaper to insure a van with "few" miles, than one with high miles.......

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
Registered
4 Posts
RE:insurance,
our 2001 odyssey here in california runs a mere $64.18 a mo.,full-coverage/6-mo.policy runs.allstate
we're only 27,have 2 kids
like the changes on the 2002's although the 2004 will be a complete redesign.would rather wait 2 years then sell ours for a 2002.although in 2004,they'll probably run an add'l 1k.an article i read re:retirement planning predicts in 20 years,a 25k car will cost $54,800.yikes!the sign of the times

2001 MB EX
cross bars,cassette,mud guards,hitch,trans cooler,gold kit,bug deflector,cargo mat,cargo tray.all oem
no problems yet,4k mi.12-2000 prod.date
polish of choice-zymol

[This message has been edited by trekman (edited 09-01-2001).]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts