Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of an "under the seat" type of DVD player that will automatically resume playback of a DVD from where it stopped when powered off and then on again?

I'm sick of continually waiting for a DVD to reload menus and then trying to find where the movie left off whenever we stop for a food/potty break etc.

I'm not sure if there is any DVD player that does this, but I know that car CD players do it for music CDs, so it can't be too dificult, can it?

Thanks,

Mark Quinn

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Meq123!

I wired our system into the drivers Power Seat wiring harness. This allows a constant HOT connection for RESUME play to work in our 02 Ody. We found a Mobile Vision mobile DVD player which is mounted to the floor under the Flip-Tray between driver and passengers front seats. This player has a main power switch on the unit which is left on all the time. I then use the remote controls power button to turn the DVD unit on or off for our enjoyment use.

I think what you might need to consider is asking an automotive electrician to see about wiring whatever unit you choose as a DVD player be wired up to both the HOT battery connection and an ACC (ignition Key) cutoff connection. This way you won't drain your battery if the unit accidently is left on and you come to find a dead battery the next morning. Goodluck!

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have the same problem with the DVDs as I hate to restart everytime I restart my car. My solution is a VCR ( in my case a Super VHS system for 500lines of resolution for recording from a DVD ). By recording the DVDs into tapes and playing it with a VCR, I woudln't have to worry about "resuming". One advantage of tapes is that you could fit about 2~3 movies in a T-120 tape. The VCR I have is not designed for car as I don't think there are any S-VHS system for cars, but so far I haven't encounter any problem, and the pictures from the tapes are actaully quite good too ! :)
I just recently went on a trip and I didn't have to worry about resuming the movie or changing DVDs. We went through 3 movies on our trip. ;)

PS: oh you also don't need to worry about the wiring or leaving the player on and ending up with a dead battery :eek:

·
Registered
219 Posts
lookinco said:
My solution is a VCR ( in my case a Super VHS system for 500lines of resolution for recording from a DVD ). By recording the DVDs into tapes and playing it with a VCR, I woudln't have to worry about "resuming". One advantage of tapes is that you could fit about 2~3 movies in a T-120 tape.
lookinco,

Have you noticed any picture quality loss from taping 2~3 movies (SLP mode) onto one tape as opposed to just one movie (SP mode)?

I have a regular VHS VCR and I really notice the difference between the two speeds.

I can understand the variety of reasons why a VCR would be a better choice than a DVD for an in-car solution, I just curious about the different picture qualities (DVD, SVHS-SLP, SVHS-SP).

Thanks,
:nice:

·
Registered
910 Posts
With just normal VHS tape in EP mode, you can really see the difference. However in S-VHS EP mode, the picture is as good if not better then normal VHS in SP mode. Well then of coz the best is s-VHS SP mode, but the tape cost CDN$10 each so I usually use EP rather then SP. One good thing about S-VHS VCR is that you can use a normal VHS tape and still record movies with S-VHS resolution.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have a protable DVD player from Panasonic and it does have the resume funtion also. The problem is not every disc supports that funtion. For instance the movies all work fine, but on music videos they don't. See I usually play MTVs so I can listen to the songs and others could watch. Watching a movie on a 15 minutes trip seens stupid :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Super Resume

I was startled when I inserted Toy Story 2 into the Flexvision in-dash dvd player I installed and it started playing somewhere in the middle of the movie. The wife recalled that a week or so prior that the middle was where we ejected the DVD and took it inside the house. We did further tests and verified that the unit has a resume feature for the current DVD installed or the last DVD installed.

If you play a movie and leave it in the dvd player it will resume where you left off...even after days in the garage.

If you play a movie to the middle and eject it, so long as the next DVD inserted is the same as the last one it will resume where it left off.

If you play movie 1 to the middle, eject it, and later play movie 2 to the middle and then reinsert movie 1, movie 1 will start at the beginning and not the middle.

Very nice feature I must say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts