Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an 09+ Ody that's always in the Kroger parking lot near where I live. I see it all the time, but never can figure out what this thing is underneath the bumper.

It has a lens for a red light.

It looks like a trunk spoiler for a car that's mounted upside down.

Anyone else seen something like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I'm guessing it is some kind of pull out step like side steps on pickups but only for the rear hatch?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Someone took a car spoiler, flipped it upside down and mounted it under the rear bumper. Why? They think it's cool looking. :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think it's attached to a hitch

Well, could it be a spoiler attached to a hidden hitch? The reason is, I have seen some trucks that have a step-like attachment plugged into the receiver to act as a step. This one looks more decorative. Hmmm.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Never seen one of these before. Looks like a flipped car spoiler to me too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yup, upside-down rear spoiler with 3rd brake light......looks like balls, ughhh! Why on earth spend money to do that....buy, paint-match, and install.:dunno:

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
WHY?

Find the owner and demand an explanation.

·
Registered
158 Posts
whoa said:
It's certainly not for aerodynamics or aesthetics so it's gotta be a pull-out step bar.
You are forgetting that a lot of dumb people do stuff like this, think it IS aesthetically pleasing. I have seen bits and pieces that mount under the rear bumper for aerodynamics, and I think this guy was trying to copy that concept - but failed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My money is on a step too. Look at the center support...

Wow, I can't believe the reaction to a simple question. What you think is "cool" may draw the same type of reaction from a different crowd. Regardless, I doubt the guy did it to impress anyone on this board.

I've had a stereotype against Odyssey's - you know one that kind of goes into only grown adults owning them because they are so expensive. However, based on the responses in this thread I'm beginning to wonder about that theory now.

I guess the big picture is...... it is a MINIVAN people!!! How tricked out or cool can you get and who defines cool???

·
Registered
76 Posts
Never seen anything like it before. That's probably what makes the guy think it's cool. I'll give hime credit for trying and for creativity on mounting and paint matching, but I won't be asking how to get one.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My guess is it's a rear bumper air defuser/splitter. Is there one in the front too? Can't imagine it's a pull out step as the trunk is low enough for reach.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Everyone, this thing is a spoiler. It's not any type of step bar. The center piece you see is the LED light bar that is mounted under the spoiler.

Here is what a spoiler LED bar looks like.

Here is that ugly piece a crap spoiler flipped upside down. By the way, if anyone stepped on that, it will make a nice snap, crackle, pop sound.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
ody2ody said:
Here is that ugly piece a crap spoiler flipped upside down. By the way, if anyone stepped on that, it will make a nice snap, crackle, pop sound.
If I ever run across that Ody, I'll do us all a favor and try to step on it. :D

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
PSU and Ody2Ody are both wrong. Its a re-inforced spoiler with a steel bar inside of it. Its there to protect the seat well from crumpling when a slammed Civic ploughs into the van from the rear. If a civic were to hit this guy in the rear, his hood will get crushed under the spoiler there by protecting the seat well and also the Ody bumper so that no body work or paint work would be needed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts