Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone painted or powder coated the OEM wheels? I would like to get my wheels painted gunmetal (on Alabaster Silver). Checking if anyone has a picture.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Gray powder coat should look tight.

·
Registered
359 Posts
back in July, I was out in Cali for work and saw a Touring (black I think) with black painted OEM wheels, didn't look too bad. This was in Huntingdon Beach, wonder if he is a member here?

·
Registered
2007 EX / 172K miles
76 Posts
I just refinished the OEM wheels on a 2007 Odyssey EX, and I am pleased with the results... not perfect, but they're 1000 times better than they were. I used one can of undercoat, two cans of basecoat, and one can of clear coat. Here was my process:

1) Scrub and wash wheels and tires with a degreaser. I used ZEP Orange, but Dawn dish soap would suffice.
2) Sand wheels with 120 Grit paper and wipe off dust. I used a 5" orbital sander on the main surface, taking most of it down to bare metal. I did the recessed areas by hand, but I did not worry about getting it all down to bare metal. I had to remove some stubborn corroded/flaked paint with my Swiss Army Knife blade, and then sand those areas again. I used a one inch diameter wire wheel brush for the first pass down in the lug nut holes. NOTE: Going in from the backside of the wheel, I also sanded the one inch wide ring that runs just behind the wheel spokes just enough to smooth it down fairly well.
3) Sand wheels with 400 Grit paper and wipe off dust. Same process as above.
4) WET SAND wheels smooth using 600 Grit wet paper. I did this entire process by hand.
5) Wash wheels and tires with a degreaser. Be sure to scrub really good down in the area where the wheel and tire meet.
6) Wipe wheels off with Acetone using lint free rags.
7) Mask off tires. I used masking tape around the edge of the wheels, but I have seen people use playing cards.
8) One coat of primer (ProXL ProWheel Undercoat Grey PROWSGU)
9) Three coats of base (ProXL ProWheel Basecoat 04 Audi Chrome PROWS04)
10) Two coats of clear coat (SprayMax 2K 3680061)

I also painted the center caps, but I started with the 400 grit paper.

Prep time was about 4 hours (washing, sanding, washing, masking). Painting took about three hours due to the wait time between coats.

Overall a very satisfying project.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I just refinished the OEM wheels on a 2007 Odyssey EX, and I am pleased with the results... not perfect, but they're 1000 times better than they were. I used one can of undercoat, two cans of basecoat, and one can of clear coat. Here was my process:

1) Scrub and wash wheels and tires with a degreaser. I used ZEP Orange, but Dawn dish soap would suffice.
2) Sand wheels with 120 Grit paper and wipe off dust. I used a 5" orbital sander on the main surface, taking most of it down to bare metal. I did the recessed areas by hand, but I did not worry about getting it all down to bare metal. I had to remove some stubborn corroded/flaked paint with my Swiss Army Knife blade, and then sand those areas again. I used a one inch diameter wire wheel brush for the first pass down in the lug nut holes. NOTE: Going in from the backside of the wheel, I also sanded the one inch wide ring that runs just behind the wheel spokes just enough to smooth it down fairly well.
3) Sand wheels with 400 Grit paper and wipe off dust. Same process as above.
4) WET SAND wheels smooth using 600 Grit wet paper. I did this entire process by hand.
5) Wash wheels and tires with a degreaser. Be sure to scrub really good down in the area where the wheel and tire meet.
6) Wipe wheels off with Acetone using lint free rags.
7) Mask off tires. I used masking tape around the edge of the wheels, but I have seen people use playing cards.
8) One coat of primer (ProXL ProWheel Undercoat Grey PROWSGU)
9) Three coats of base (ProXL ProWheel Basecoat 04 Audi Chrome PROWS04)
10) Two coats of clear coat (SprayMax 2K 3680061)

I also painted the center caps, but I started with the 400 grit paper.

Prep time was about 4 hours (washing, sanding, washing, masking). Painting took about three hours due to the wait time between coats.

Overall a very satisfying project.
tires on or off?
edit: correction see the masking part.

looks nice!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wow! Very nice. Our 2007 wheels look like your before pics.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
good info...

my gen 4 touring 18" wheels, the finish is getting long in the tooth, been looking for replacements or cheap temp steelies while I refinish the stock enkei ones.

summer project.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
anyone know offhand how to find Honda paint codes for the wheels?
Looking to repaint my 2011 TE enkei's as they are weather beaten after 10 years.

local paint supply shop around here says there isn't any paint code for the wheels, which seems strange to me.
They arent a helpful bunch even on a good day.

input is always appreciated...

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Powder coating is really the only best option for wheels. Wheels see more abuse than the body, heat, brake dust, rotation, etc.

I powder coated my wheels in the past and they are really easy to keep clean. Just find a good shop.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
anyone know offhand how to find Honda paint codes for the wheels?
Looking to repaint my 2011 TE enkei's as they are weather beaten after 10 years.

local paint supply shop around here says there isn't any paint code for the wheels, which seems strange to me.
They arent a helpful bunch even on a good day.

input is always appreciated...

Thanks!
Find a powder coating shop and they will match it close as possible. You can go with any color and finish.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Find a powder coating shop and they will match it close as possible. You can go with any color and finish.
Thanks for the suggestion...

I have some local shops that do refinishing/powder coating in the area and they aren't cheap.
I got quotes at $150 and upwards per wheel.
new wheels from Honda are 430 each.

its a 10 year old van in the rust belt, so maybe 9-10 years of life left in it.
Im a fruugal (aka.cheap) bastard and want to DIY the wheels, just need that paint code.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I had mine PVD coated thru Discount Tire for maybe $150 each max.... (9 years ago). It's not as strong as chrome and will scratch like paint.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
they look great... nobody in my area is equipped to do that, so shipping both ways is involved, which jacks up the price.
The manager, who I've bought many tires/wheels from for 20 yrs shipped them from the store. Not sure if other locations are in the loop tot do such things or want to be bothered with it.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion...

I have some local shops that do refinishing/powder coating in the area and they aren't cheap.
I got quotes at $150 and upwards per wheel.
new wheels from Honda are 430 each.

its a 10 year old van in the rust belt, so maybe 9-10 years of life left in it.
Im a fruugal (aka.cheap) bastard and want to DIY the wheels, just need that paint code.
Down here quotes are around 100-125 a wheel.

Or find another OEM set of wheels. Slap some OE acura 20s on it lol

Spraying wheels will not last. Spray cans, just forget about it, waste of time. Peels off.

Powdercoating is the way.

Post some pics of your wheels.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Down here quotes are around 100-125 a wheel.

Or find another OEM set of wheels. Slap some OE acura 20s on it lol

Spraying wheels will not last. Spray cans, just forget about it, waste of time. Peels off.

Powdercoating is the way.

Post some pics of your wheels.
let me get the thing cleaned up after winter abuse, then will snap some pics.
bumper is currently off fixing accident damage from teenagers and a snowbank at highway speeds.

trying to restore the van aka winter derby car to some of its former glory, including the wheels.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts