Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like some plastic on the side windows for shatter protection in an accident. I may also like to get a little more heat rejection so the van might not get as hot sitting in the sun all day. I don't want the tint too much darker than what comes standard on the LX. So, this product seems like the right one:

http://www.uv-shield.com/

Anyone tried this? Are there any similar films from other companies?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cavallier,

I called the UV Shield people to ask about their product. Their claims didn't seem very reasonable. Their website suggests that the film is colorless, but that it absorbs all light at 380 nm. That wavelength is visible to many people, and if that wavelength is absorbed, some 390 and 400 nm must also be absorbed. Those wavelengths correspond to blue light, and if blue is absorbed the film would be yellow. It turns out that the film does have a grayish tint to it to cover up the otherwise yellowish appearance, and so some visible light is absorbed (25%, 15% in CA). This product appears to absorb the 350-380 nm UV light better than most other window tint films, but this region of the spectrum is also the least harmful or damaging.

It seems like a reasonable product to try and that it fits your requirements (high UV, low visible absorption), but not quite as magic as the ads suggest. You can find a dealer by calling 800-447-8468.

I've got some info on the EX glass and it's UV-visible absorption. I'll post that later.

------------------
gbaxley
'01 TW EX

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gbaxley:
Cavallier,

I called the UV Shield people to ask about their product. Their claims didn't seem very reasonable. Their website suggests that the film is colorless, but that it absorbs all light at 380 nm. That wavelength is visible to many people, and if that wavelength is absorbed, some 390 and 400 nm must also be absorbed. Those wavelengths correspond to blue light, and if blue is absorbed the film would be yellow. It turns out that the film does have a grayish tint to it to cover up the otherwise yellowish appearance, and so some visible light is absorbed (25%, 15% in CA). This product appears to absorb the 350-380 nm UV light better than most other window tint films, but this region of the spectrum is also the least harmful or damaging.

It seems like a reasonable product to try and that it fits your requirements (high UV, low visible absorption), but not quite as magic as the ads suggest. You can find a dealer by calling 800-447-8468.

I've got some info on the EX glass and it's UV-visible absorption. I'll post that later.

</font>
Thanks. I knew it wasn't clear; some websites with specs quote 78% light transmission at 550 nm, 20% total solar energy rejection and 99.9% UV rejection.

I think it will be perfect for the 2 rear windows on each side. I don't know if I'll do the front side windows. State law says no tint, though I might get away with 22%...

Their dealer referral is pathetic. I emailed twice with no response. When you call, they refer you to a local rep which, in my case, didn't know the product and assumed all llumar dealers had it. So they gave me numbers of auto dealers, residential window cleaners, you name it. By the third call, I got put on hold, and I think the person at Llumar had to call the local rep himself before they finally found someone who actually did auto installations and carried the UVShield product. Still 20 miles away, but I may go for it...

·
Registered
128 Posts
One of the little-known secrets is that plastic blocks out most UV light, therefore every plastic lens sunglasses manufacturer or window tint maker can claim UV protection of their product.

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts