Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, has anyone switched from an odyssey to the new CX-9? I understand you lose some utility and cargo space, but you gain back the fun driving factor, style, and AWD. And newer tech.

Just wanted to see if anyone has made the switch and what your impressions are.

After 4 minivans I might be ready to switch back. Thinking to look at a red pearl CX-9 in Signature trim tomorrow.

PFA. TIA.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

• Love
Reactions: tyman

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
146 Posts
We were || that close to buying one before the Odyssey. We test drove two of them. Wife wanted more cargo space and a usable 3rd row due to the kids. :\

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We were || that close to buying one before the Odyssey. We test drove two of them. Wife wanted more cargo space and a usable 3rd row due to the kids. :\
Is 3rd row really that horrible for toddlers and pre-teens? 🤔

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
146 Posts
Is 3rd row really that horrible for toddlers and pre-teens? 🤔
It's not horrible but it is pretty cramped. The 2nd row doesn't make it easy but we have a 2yo and a 1 month old so ease of getting car seat in and out was priority for us and also cargo room with the 3rd row folded down. As long as the kids are facing forward in their seats, the 3rd row should be okay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That was my first option and went to the Mazda dealership twice to look at it before buying the Odyssey. My wife couldn't get over how much less space there was inside and how large the front end and hood were. Since she's the primary driver, that was it. Now I can't imagine living without sliding doors, particularly when getting the kids in and out of the garge. I do still really want AWD though.

·
Registered
2019 EX-L
241 Posts
I’d get one in a heartbeat if kids were older. Vans make so much more sense with little kids, car seats and the crap you have to haul.

MDX is on the list too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have a 21 Ody Touring & 21 CX9 GT (2nd row bench seat),
other than the space issues -
cons: lack of touchscreen, no AC vents for 3rd row, only small can sit kids in 3rd row, narrow seats & legroom.
pros: Seat belt indicator for all 3 rows, 360 view (loaded features)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Years ago we had a CX-9 and the van... the CX-9 was better to drive with for sure, but honestly we ended up taking the minivan almost everywhere. The rear doors are larger than normal to accommodate the third row, so getting out of the car you need a wider than normal spot or you'll ding other people's doors. When the third row is up, there is ZERO trunk space... this means if you have a full car going shopping, be careful or everyone's going to have to sit with things on their lap. It isn't cramped back there for teenagers, but it certainly isn't roomy. If you are really tall, your head will probably hit the roof/glass. The way you had to flip the seat forward was also bad with the car seats in there at the time.

My take home.. great looking and driving car, but if you are used to having a full minivan, these three row SUV's are NOT good substitutes! Think of it as travel for 4/5 with the occasional I need to transport more people.. with the caveat that they better not have a lot of bags or equipment, because storage is now next to nothing.

·
Registered
2022 Odyssey EX-L Lunar Silver Metallic, Gray Interior
37 Posts
I would have thought the Pilot would fit in this discussion. Any reason for CX-9 and MDX mentions but not the Pilot? Same issues as those others, of course.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
146 Posts
I would have thought the Pilot would fit in this discussion. Any reason for CX-9 and MDX mentions but not the Pilot? Same issues as those others, of course.
Trans issues mainly. And after sitting in my sisters 2020 pilot and a new pilot at the dealer, the middle row seems cramped but I’m also 6’2, 250, so eh. Third row seems nonexistent in real life regardless of what specs and dimensions say. Plus CX-9 beats it hands down in looks and performance.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for all the input, guys. We did pull the trigger and trade our 2020 Odyssey EX-L in on a 2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature. They gave us more for it on trade with 31k miles than we paid for it when we got it brand new, so I think we came out ahead.

I'll still lurk on the forums and may get another Odyssey down the road for the wife if this will be too small for her and I'll take over this thing. It's pretty awesome!

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

• Love
Reactions: fuego and tyman

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
  • Love

·
Registered
2018 Honda Odyssey Touring, silver with mocha
9 Posts
How old are the kids? I have three (ie need the third row all the time since they are NOT sitting three across), all in car seats and one still rear facing. We needed a towing car so we took the opportunity to buy my dream car, a Mercedes GLS. Ordered it and I was so excited. Took delivery, switched the car seats over and I immediately knew it was a mistake and dragged my feet selling the Odyssey. I was not ready to lose my sliding doors, huge amount of cargo room, RES. We ended up selling the MB two weeks after we bought it- lucky for us, the market is good! In a few years I’ll be ready to make the jump back to SUV but I am definitely not there yet!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How old are the kids? I have three (ie need the third row all the time since they are NOT sitting three across), all in car seats and one still rear facing. We needed a towing car so we took the opportunity to buy my dream car, a Mercedes GLS. Ordered it and I was so excited. Took delivery, switched the car seats over and I immediately knew it was a mistake and dragged my feet selling the Odyssey. I was not ready to lose my sliding doors, huge amount of cargo room, RES. We ended up selling the MB two weeks after we bought it- lucky for us, the market is good! In a few years I’ll be ready to make the jump back to SUV but I am definitely not there yet!
We only have two in boosters who will now be in the third row and two teens in the middle. So ages between 4 and 14. No more strollers.

After 4 minivans we decided to give an SUV a shot again. I know we are losing all those things you listed (minus the RES), we went with tablets for each kid in favor of splurging for just one screen. But I've been impartial to the way Mazda drives ever since my CX-7 over a decade ago. And CX-9 drives and handles like a dream for a vehicle it's size.

Worst come to worst, I will trade in my commuter for another van for my wife and I'll drive the CX-9 full time. 🙂

·
Registered
2022 Odyssey EX-L Lunar Silver Metallic, Gray Interior
37 Posts
Mazda is definitely doing a lot of things right. I recently bought a new generation CR-V EX but looked at the CX-5 a bit. I didn't test drive one, but I only hear great things about the drivability and even reliability of the new Mazdas. In the end, I was perfectly fine with the CR-V's drivability, and the space is tons better in the CR-V. CR-Vs were also better priced. As far as the aesthetic, I actually thought the Honda looked better. However, that Mazda red is more attractive than Honda's red!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very nice also these are Japanese made right?

checks off all the boxes.
Yes. Imported from Japan. Engine is all covered in cosmoline that burns off for the first 300 miles.

Reactions: tyman and fuego
1 - 19 of 19 Posts