Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the story, I put amsoil 0-20 on the ody (parents car) in august, left for school in another province and told my dad to change transmission fluid that i left behind (also amsoil ^_^). Well my dad finally got to it in october and the mechanic drained the engine oil -.-. well what ended up happening was they put mobil 1 5w-20. Now (back for vacation), I realized that the engine is burning oil (smell on cold start), and the oil is all black.... bought the van in dec 2009, never smelled oil burning, the camry which has amsoil in it (from june) still looks clean.

So any input from any mobil 1 users on the odyssey? how do you like it?

thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mobile1 is fine. I use Mobile1 0W-20 when I cann, but also use 5W-30 from time to time (have too much of it stored in my garage)... in fact I just did an oil change a few days ago using 5W-30, and strangely, the Ody actually feels smoother and pulls well. (previous oil was Mobile1 0W-20, and changed at 10% MM message... nice and dark by then).

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've run Mobil 1 5W-20 since I've had my 2009. I change the oil at 50% on the MM and at 5%. No burning of oil and no loss of oil.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've run M1 since 91 & tore down one I had for 12 years to upgrade the cylinder heads. When I did, there was cross-hatiching in the cylinder bores, no ridge at the top of the cylinder & the cam lobes looked new...at 115,000 miles.

I use it in the 05 Ody, the 98 Tacoma & my 95 Nissan, if for no other reason, I can get it anywhere if I need it, unlike Amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline, etc.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Been using Mobile 1 5W-20 since the first oil change on my 05 Ody. Currently at 110000 miles and no burning oil.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've been running Mobil 1 5W-20 or 0W-20 on an '03 at 5000 mile intervals since new. Now at 140K, runs like new, no deposits visible through fill hole.

I've also been using Mobil 1 0W-20 on my '09 since new, changing along with the maintenance minder. 44K miles, no problems yet. Both vehicles get Purolator Pure One PL 14459 filters at every change (as opposed to the specified PL 14610).

The '03 Pilot gets the same 5000 mile changes as the '03 Ody and is now at 95,000 miles; no problems yet.

Steve

·
Registered
157 Posts
switch it back to the amsoil or sounds like ur gunna be s.o.l.!! M1 here in every vehicle i have with no probs

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am currently using Mobile-1 in my '09, but the vehicle is rather new to me and I'm only on the first oil change of my ownership. I'll be able to say more next year, perhaps?

Nate

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
switch it back to the amsoil or sounds like ur gunna be s.o.l.!! M1 here in every vehicle i have with no probs
what does s.o.l. mean? I don't really want to change it because its synthetic (ran only 4k kms on it) =/ .....guess its not the oil, gotta go to thicker oil next time then...

·
Registered
157 Posts
s.o.l. = sh*t outa luck

·
Registered
404 Posts
Back in the day, our fleet was 44 vehicles, with everything from trucks to passenger vehicles, and our head mechanic (ex race-car mechanic for a famous team) insisted on Mobil1. Not only did we not ever have a problem with our engines, but most of our vehicles lasted well over 200,000 hard miles, with one infamous Isuzu truck with 450,000 miles over a five-year period... no smoking, no loss of power, nothing.

If anything, I'd think the previous use of Amsoil led to your problems now... Amsoil is terribly overhyped (usually by those that sell it, go figure), but people with skin in the game, like serious fleets and rental agencies, probably wouldn't be caught dead using anything but proven lubricants. When it's your money, you tend to go with what works best...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Mobil1 is very good.
However, modern synthetic oil is so good that IMHO, any brand (Mobil1, Valvoline, Quaker State etc.) is fine with me.

I bought a whole case of Napa Synthetic Oil when it was on sales ($3.50/qt).
Napa told me their brand is made by Valvoline synthetic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Back in the day the synthetic oils were synthetic (synthesized from PolyAlphaOlefin). But at some point the producers of Castrol found a loophole in the branding and started branding their oil as synthetic by further filtering it from dyno oil. They never mentioned it and kept the price the same. Initially the producers of Mobil threatened to sue, but after that came along on the band wagon. More and more companies got on the band wagon to the point that now in North America with the exception of about 2-3 brands everything else is filtered dyno oil. In Europe on the other hand they have better laws and these same producers make real PAO oils. So you Mobil 1 here and Mobil 1 in Europe are different and same with Castrol etc.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Oil should turn dark with use. It is an oils job to trap contamenents and suspend them. If you are running an oil that never turns dark, there is something wrong with that oil :) even modern computer controlled engines do not burn 100% clean, if your oil isn't catching the unburnt contamenents, then where are they?

mobil 1 turns dark quickly because it is doing it's job and cleaning out all the crap the amsoil left behind.

You might be smelling burning oil from where a mechanic spilled it in your engine bay.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
So you Mobil 1 here and Mobil 1 in Europe are different and same with Castrol etc.
True for most grades, but the Castrol Syntec 0W30 is the one grade which is still PAO based (it's the only one which says "made in Germany" on the bottle - has an excellent reputation - search "german castrol" on bitog. It's very popular for the Subaru crowd as it's very shear stable) - Castrol just changed their naming scheme, though, so now it's Castrol Edge with Syntec or something like that - still says made in germany, though.

For our van, I have been using Penzoil platinum - gets good results over on bitog, and you can get it for $22 or so for the 5qt container at Walmart!

·
Registered
46 Posts
As I said "in Europe ..." I meant that the GC is PAO. Even Mobil 1 is PAO there if you can import it.. And many others. Here we are just arguing about the fact how bad it is to use dyno vs "Synthetic" when in most cases we are only paying for it, but still using dyno.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Boogety, If you think Amsoil is over hyped you have not looked at the research behind it and the comparative analysis between Amsoil and Mobil 1. It beats it in every category. I love the ignorance of people and the audacity to post such nonsense. "The amsoil caused it". Right.

Sssmeee,
Switch to the Amsoil and run a flush through it. Hit me up for wholesale pricing if you would like.

[email protected]

·
Registered
176 Posts
As a Tech I'd recommend you get an Engine oil Flush BG Products, Inc. this company has great products and when done right have great proven results.

The engine purge is an additive that goes into the oil and softens gum deposits that are then filtered through a flush machine using your oil pressure to run ( other machines boost the pressure) , the oil galleries are then purged with air to remove from 1/2 to 3/4 more oil than an normal oil change removes. Filled with an oil of your choice and a MOA additive is added.

I have seen engines that the oil is black as black and after this process its clean as can be on the stick and stays that way for 2000 miles before normal darkening.

This service should be $70 plus oil

1 - 20 of 24 Posts