Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 and love it. Wanted the 2018 with the new safety features, but with all the issues, I waited. Then the 2019 seems to basically be the same as the 2018.
So, now going to wait until the 2020 since it seems big changes to a model might come in 2 years changes. Wonder is they would do an AWD version? Sure would be cool
if all the seats folded into the floors.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Honda seems to like their mid-cycle refresh after three years. When the gen 4 came out for 2011, the refresh came in 2014.

Stow-and-Go style seats for the second row are exceptionally unlikely - that would require a major redesign of the floor of the unibody to create the space necessary to store them. AWD would be great, but I'm not sure that's the direction Honda wants to go with the Ody. I'm sure they'd rather funnel all the AWD customers to a Pilot.

High-end features trickling down is very likely. LED headlights and the 10-speed transmission becoming standard would be a nice start. Minor cosmetic changes are possible too. The 2011-2013 Odys have a different front clip, fenders, fog lights, hood and taillights than the 2014-2017 models. Maybe something like that comes through for the gen 5 models too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So maybe 3 years. I believe the 2014 has a manual radio while my 2015 has an LCD display for the radio. Just the number of quality issues is very disappointing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2016 and love it. Wanted the 2018 with the new safety features, but with all the issues, I waited. Then the 2019 seems to basically be the same as the 2018.
So, now going to wait until the 2020 since it seems big changes to a model might come in 2 years changes. Wonder is they would do an AWD version? Sure would be cool

I too was ready to purchase the 2018 Odyssey. In fact, I almost signed on the papers at a local Honda dealership for the 2018 Odyssey, but chickened out at the last moment. But, I am glad that I did not end up with the 2018 Odyssey. With so many issues in the 2018 Odyssey and now with the 2019 model, I have begun to worry if Honda will ever get its act together. Likewise, the Toyota Sienna is really still stuck in 2010 and with its poor IIHS crash rating has scared me off as well. The other competing brands just don't do it for me. I think that I been zoned out of the minivan market due to lack of meaningful choices.

I am seriously going to check out the 2019 Subaru Ascent. But, the Subaru too has had a poor history of engine gasket issues, and tend to be expensive vehicles to maintain. And, the Highlander with that meaningless third-row seat is a huge put off - whoever at Toyota came up with the idea of the 27-inch legroom for Highlander's third-row seat deserves a Nobel award. The Honda Pilot too with that 9-speed ZF gearbox too scares me. The remaining brands again don't do it for me in the 3-row SUV market. So, it turns out that I have been zoned out of the 3-row SUV market as well.

I guess I will have to keep driving my 2004 Odyssey for at least two more years until some meaningful entries come into these two product categories.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree

I too was ready to purchase the 2018 Odyssey. In fact, I almost signed on the papers at a local Honda dealership for the 2018 Odyssey, but chickened out at the last moment. But, I am glad that I did not end up with the 2018 Odyssey. With so many issues in the 2018 Odyssey and now with the 2019 model, I have begun to worry if Honda will ever get its act together. Likewise, the Toyota Sienna is really still stuck in 2010 and with its poor IIHS crash rating has scared me off as well. The other competing brands just don't do it for me. I think that I been zoned out of the minivan market due to lack of meaningful choices.

I am seriously going to check out the 2019 Subaru Ascent. But, the Subaru too has had a poor history of engine gasket issues, and tend to be expensive vehicles to maintain. And, the Highlander with that meaningless third-row seat is a huge put off - whoever at Toyota came up with the idea of the 27-inch legroom for Highlander's third-row seat deserves a Nobel award. The Honda Pilot too with that 9-speed ZF gearbox too scares me. The remaining brands again don't do it for me in the 3-row SUV market. So, it turns out that I have been zoned out of the 3-row SUV market as well.

I guess I will have to keep driving my 2004 Odyssey for at least two more years until some meaningful entries come into these two product categories.

·
Registered
995 Posts
The only issue that remains for me on my EX is the front end noise during acceleration. The mechanics can't figure it out. I'm sure Honda Corp knows exactly what it is. They just don't want to do anything about it because of cost. If it's not on their safety list, it won't be dealt with. You can't tell me they're stumped - they know!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I must be one of the lucky ones. So far I have not had any issues with our 18 Odyssey EX.
Me too. I have the 2018 EX-L Navi/RES. 18,500 miles and so far..so good.

I have been reading about the 2020 model...at least what they say now.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have 2018 and issues were mostly software related which have been resolved with recent updates. Keep in mind, you only hear here from people who have issues and that’s a small number, majority of people who don’t have issues never come to these forums so don’t get carried away thinking there are so many people with issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Keep in mind, you only hear here from people who have issues and that’s a small number, majority of people who don’t have issues never come to these forums so don’t get carried away thinking there are so many people with issues.
That is what I thought about transmission issues in my old Odyssey. Until my transmission failed. Was not happy when it failed and I joined the majority.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My guess (or hope) is that the PHEV Hybrid Odyssey will come out for 2020. Hopefully by then they add back the rear climate control, and sort out all the defects with the infotainment software and sliding door issues.

I hope. 🙂

Edit:
I could be wrong, but I also have a feeling that the Sienna is getting a big redesign for 2020 (maybe including PHEV), so Honda should also put its best foot forward with the Odyssey in 2020.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My guess (or hope) is that the PHEV Hybrid Odyssey will come out for 2020. Hopefully by then they add back the rear climate control, and sort out all the defects with the infotainment software and sliding door issues.

I hope. 🙂
I too hope that you are right. However, I very much doubt this. The Honda Corp of today clearly is led by bean-counters instead of proud-and-competent engineers who seemed to lead Honda in the yesteryears. Many of the problems that Honda is facing today (including in the Odyssey) are due to its own doing, and self-inflicted. Slowly but steadily Honda is moving lower in reliability and that's a shame. I still remember the Honda of yesteryears when Honda vehicles used to be reliable and stood for quality and value......

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by reyrey View Post
I must be one of the lucky ones. So far I have not had any issues with our 18 Odyssey EX.

Me too 20,000 miles on my 2018 Touring. Runs great with ice cold air here in sunny Las Vegas.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 elite that I love but I really want the new one. I have been thinking of waiting for the 2020 as well since the 19 is basically the same as the 18. Does anyone know when specs of the 2020 may be released? I have been going back and forth the last few weeks. I have the dealer down to $42,899 for a 19 elite. Should I go for it now or wait it out?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Barring unexpected circumstances, it is our plan to wait until the next generation, hoping the subjective design deficiencies we see in this generation will be addressed. The worst of which is the rear A/C. I'm not betting $40,000 that I get one that cools adequately, since my passengers back there (grandkids) only get the very best..;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
While the design of the 2019 is the same as the 2018, I assume that it's more reliable after figuring out a lot of the initial teething problems. That's why I think Honda released the 2019 model in April 2018 (instead of the usual October/September release).

I also doubt they will have a new infotainment system - the source of most complaints. This system is probably here to stay for the next decade or so, with only constant software updates.

I wonder if the Accord (using the same infotainment system, just with a few additional hard buttons) also have so many issues?

I also believe that Toyota will release a brand new Sienna very soon, and that will put some pressure on Honda.

But in general, I am not sure it pays to wait for 2020 model year, I don't see some major changes coming (based on Honda's history).

·
Registered
62 Posts

I agree. My top priorities are a full suite of modern safety features and creative comforts plus an adult-friendly (I have teenagers as well) third row. I still believe minivans are the best bang for the buck in this regard but I am wiling to wait for the much rumoured 8-seater Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisades, hoping that their 3rd row will be comparable to the 2018 VW Atlas (I don't like the poor fuel economy). I have a 2004 Sienna which has been bullet-proof as far as reliability goes but its so dated.

·
Registered
520 Posts
While the design of the 2019 is the same as the 2018, I assume that it's more reliable after figuring out a lot of the initial teething problems. That's why I think Honda released the 2019 model in April 2018 (instead of the usual October/September release).

I also doubt they will have a new infotainment system - the source of most complaints. This system is probably here to stay for the next decade or so, with only constant software updates.

I wonder if the Accord (using the same infotainment system, just with a few additional hard buttons) also have so many issues?

I also believe that Toyota will release a brand new Sienna very soon, and that will put some pressure on Honda.

But in general, I am not sure it pays to wait for 2020 model year, I don't see some major changes coming (based on Honda's history).
I don't expect any major changes in 2020 either. Mechanically it will remain the same vehicle. As for the infotainment system I also agree it will be around for a while. The Accord's display assembly is from a different supplier - Panasonic - while the Odyssey's is supplied by Alpine; not sure who supplies the "infotainment control assembly" in either vehicle but it wouldn't surprise me if they are identical. In terms of fit and finish, another area that has generated a lot of complaints, it is unlikely to change much unfortunately. Two years ago I saw an MDX at an auto show with such poor stitching on the driver seat it should have never left the Alabama plant, and they could not blame it on a new design. When I passed by an Acura dealer this morning, I stopped by to look at the new '19 RDX, built at the East Liberty plant in Ohio. Didn't look closely on the interior, but on the outside the rear bumper cover was misaligned against the quarter panel on the driver side of the vehicle, on both units they had (one on the lot and one in the showroom).

If you find the '18 or '19 Odyssey lacking in some aspects, it won't magically improve in the '20 model year. It is certainly worth looking at the competitions. Personally I am very happy with my '18 after 20K miles, but everyone has different priorities when evaluating a vehicle.

·
Registered
98 Posts
We've had a Canadian touring (elite) since December, we've had no problems and so far it is working very well. It was a great choice for us, much more room for the family over our last vehicle.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts