Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by reyrey View Post
I must be one of the lucky ones. So far I have not had any issues with our 18 Odyssey EX.

Me too 20,000 miles on my 2018 Touring. Runs great with ice cold air here in sunny Las Vegas.
People do only complain loudest when it is them and ALL types of forums make you think the sky is falling.
All of you should just be glad you never bought a 1982 Pontiac J2000, Then you would have something to complain about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too have a 2004 Odyssey that we have owned since it was new. It now has 185,000 miles and is still going strong. As much as I would love to have a new Odyssey, I am somewhat reluctant to buy one due to the myriad of problems with the 2018 that has carried over to the 2019. I like the new Pilot quite well, but I have heard horror stories about the new 9-speed transmission Honda is using. New Pilots with less than 10,000 miles on them and the tranny locking up, or worse - and having to be replaced. It is under warranty, but still - a new vehicle with transmission issues. I appreciate the comments on this blog and the insight that owners are providing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote Originally Posted by reyrey View Post
I must be one of the lucky ones. So far I have not had any issues with our 18 Odyssey EX.

Me too 20,000 miles on my 2018 Touring. Runs great with ice cold air here in sunny Las Vegas.
People do only complain loudest when it is them and ALL types of forums make you think the sky is falling.
All of you should just be glad you never bought a 1982 Pontiac J2000, Then you would have something to complain about.
I agree...
I've learned that forums are where all the problems are reported, read them long enough and you might start to think every vehicle make is a lemon. Owners that don't experience any issues usually don't write about it on the the forum.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree...
I've learned that forums are where all the problems are reported, read them long enough and you might start to think every vehicle make is a lemon. Owners that don't experience any issues usually don't write about it on the the forum.

Even though I am writing this as someone who breaks that norm, I completely agree with you. No one is going to start a thread that says "Hey, my 9speed transmission has been awfully smooth today!". You're only going to hear about problems. You even get a lot of people who will join a forum like this specifically because of a problem they want to post about (notice a lot of the problem threads are peoples first or second posts).

I joined here prior to beginning my search to buy my 2018 Ody, so I was going to be around on here no matter what. That being said, now I am of course dealing with issues on my own lol.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I got a survey a month ago from Honda wanting to ask a few questions about what I think of the RES. The survey was rather long.

Long story short, I can feel what Honda might do at the MMC or next Gen Ody.

There will be a panoramic sunroof. And the RES will be on the headrest (like Chrysler).

The questions keep asking not about the sunroof, but what I feel about dual screen on the headrest. Which would lead me to conclude that the sunroof will be much bigger and the RES need to be relocated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2014 elite that I love but I really want the new one. I have been thinking of waiting for the 2020 as well since the 19 is basically the same as the 18. Does anyone know when specs of the 2020 may be released? I have been going back and forth the last few weeks. I have the dealer down to $42,899 for a 19 elite. Should I go for it now or wait it out?
iam in the same boat as you. the Price 42,899 is it out the door with taxes or before taxes ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
iam in the same boat as you. the Price 42,899 is it out the door with taxes or before taxes ?
I’ve found that 42-44k (pre-tax and depending on color) is around what all the dealers in my area will do at ‘true car’ pricing for a ‘19 Elite.. which I guess may be easier to obtain or get even better as the 2020’s start to show up.

I am hoping they add blue/beige or blue/mocha as a color option in the 2020.. I cant for the life of me understand why they’ve always only offered grey interior with the blue exterior.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree...
I too have had ZERO issues with my 2018 EX-L, which I’ve had for around a year now. The fact that Honda has switched to the 10 speed transmission as a standard does sort of worry me, as it would seem to indicate the 9 speed is not reliable in the long term. It could also be that people have had more satisfaction with the 10 speed and they are just improving the product.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yes, I am waiting and here is the latest news. Hoping this is going to be a good year.

Well, the 10 speed auto across all models. We knew that was going to happen as history does repeat itself as Honda did when 6 speed auto was spread across all models.

But I don't see anything "special" about the 25th Anniversary models. Meaning, I think Honda could have done more. How about special colors? Suzuka Blue? San Marino Red? Dare I ask for Championship White?

Odyssey colors have always look like left over Honda paint mixed together - with a new name.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I put my Factory Order for a Touring (Canadian Elite) in on Friday. I think I am going to try to add the 25th Anniversary package as I already ordered rails (but not in Chrome) and the sill illumination and read bumper protection look decent.

Unfortunately, we can't get Black with anything other than a Brown (Mocha) interior up here. So I had to go with the Grey.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I’m looking to buy a 2020 ody but I want to know if anyone has any experience with the start stop ignition feature and whether or not it rattles of the whole vehicle when it starts and stops? I drove one recently and every time I stopped at a red light and then took off it shook the entire vehicle slightly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I figured the 10 spd. was coming. According to Motor Trend it's going to happen. Haven't made a final decision to buy yet but this 10 spd. is going to make it easier

·
Registered
142 Posts
I’m looking to buy a 2020 ody but I want to know if anyone has any experience with the start stop ignition feature and whether or not it rattles of the whole vehicle when it starts and stops? I drove a car recently and every time I stopped at a red light and then took off it shook the entire vehicle slightly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a 19 (EX) despite the abundance of reported issues. I've had a much more expensive car (serialized, with a hand built engine) get a new engine under warranty in the first 3k miles. I know what it's like having an early model year for a new generation but learned through it all that I was by far in the minority with experiencing major issues. I hope to not have issues with the Odyssey, but I did notice several rough/hard shifts in the first couple hundred miles. When I first learned the transmission was from ZF I thought it was pretty cool, being that I've known the company to be highly regarded in recent years at least for their transmissions in sports/performance cars. After seeing all the issues with Odyssey owners I don't know what to think.

I've always wondered about this "should I wait for the next model" plan. I've thought it myself too, but how do you know when a new model year is vetted? When will you know that it's safe to pull the trigger?

As a consolation I at least feel that I got a decent discount on the 19', presumably due to the 20's incoming.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I should probably call and ask a dealer but do you know if it can be permanent turned off? I saw a mechanics’ discussion that such a feature on a gas engine is a bad idea and not worth the 3% to 10% gas savings. If I decide to get this car, I won’t want it on. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
By regulation, Honda cannot allow it to be permanently turned off. This is because the Odyssey's mpg rating was certified with the Idle Stop feature turned ON.

If you want it turned off permanently, you will have to figure out a way to trick the Honda software, hopefully without making hardware changes that will void the warranty.
Look at this discussion for how to permanently disable Idle stop on the Honda Pilot, to my knowledge no one has tried this on the Odyssey.

The funny thing on the Pilot thread is, for most people, the Idle stop doesn't even work due to Honda's poor software. So in a way, by screwing up the software, Honda is permanently disabling the Idle stop!

I should probably call and ask a dealer but do you know if it can be permanent turned off? I saw a mechanics’ discussion that such a feature on a gas engine is a bad idea and not worth the 3% to 10% gas savings. If I decide to get this car, I won’t want it on. Thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
By regulation, Honda cannot allow it to be permanently turned off. This is because Honda's MPG rating was certified with the Idle Stop feature turned ON.

If you want it turned off permanently, you will have to figure out a way to trick the Honda software, hopefully without making hardware changes that will void the warranty.
Look at this discussion for how to permanently disable Idle stop on the Honda Pilot, to my knowledge no one has tried this on the Odyssey.
But it can be temporarily turned off each time you start the car right? I think there is a button to shut it off.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
34 Participants
skelzer
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing