Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a two week owner of a 2011 EX-L RES. I've been enjoying driving my new baby but I've been noticing a couple of rattles here and there and am wondering why so soon on a brand new car?

The first time I noticed it was in the driveway which is a smooth unpaved surface. It occurred on the right side near the front/back passenger side. I didn't think too much about it but then I was on a paved main road today that has a few bumps here and there and it sounded more like it was coming from the passenger sliding door. I thought the window may be rolled down slightly but when I checked it, it was rolled up. I also verified it was not the seat belt hitting the column between the front and back door.

I'll have to investigate more when the hubby is riding with me so he can help determine where it is coming from.

I'd like to hear input from anyone else who may be experiencing a similar problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
we have had the van 7 weeks and 1500 miles...we have a couple of rattles....we think they are in each sliding door, we will check more thoroughly later.....we love the ody...our first honda

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've got a rattle behind the radio somewhere. Doesn't happen very often, though, so it's been hard to pinpoint.

Rattles in the sliding doors could be related to the built-in sun shades if you have them. Try putting them up for a while. Just offering another place to look is all.

·
Registered
739 Posts
A common rattle there in Gen3 too. I would say put up with it until the first service and have them adjust doors then, after a little break in, maybe they can get them straight. In our Gen3, the door was shut a little too tight if that's even possible, would pop out, and that was associated with the rattling, solving the one solved the other. The doors have a number of ways to be adjusted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have the same problem. Both sliding doors rattle when outside temperature is below 70F on rough pavement. Noise is from the front half of the sliding doors.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We have a rattle under in the dash on the drivers side which seems to only be heard when letting off on the gas on the freeways. We only have about 400 miles on it so far and will be taking it back to the dealer to investigate.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hear same rattle near passenger doors on our EX-L. Only about 300 miles so will wait awhile to return to dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I get the rattling right behind the driver seat. Kinda sounds like it's coming from the bottom of the sliding door near the floor or in the panel where the sliding door meets the front door. I've had the dealership take it for a spin twice and they can't hear it. My husband finally heard it. I guess I have to live with it.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had exactly that rattle

I bought mine 2011 in January. It developed a squeak and rattle in the right-side passenger door area and it has been getting progressively worse. Not sure whether to wait or just take it in now. I suspect they will say they don't hear anything wrong, because it doesn't happen in every situation.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I thought I heard one from the rear seat area this morning but I just installed two new Britax Marathon 65 car seats yesterday evening, so perhaps it is one of them. Other than that, the van has been pretty quiet.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
ya ours has 3700miles or so now (took delivery in december) and no noise at all from it.
We did have some odd griding sounds from the cd changer everytime we opened a door. This was replaced under warranty though, so now it's nice and quiet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think I've succeeded at eliminating a nagging rattle in the sliding doors of my 2011 EX-RES. I had originally smeared shin-itsu all over the main weatherstripping which does a complete loop around the outside of the slider opening into the vehicle. It seemed to have some affect but not all. Then I read that someone had greased up the very top seal which is situated above the top slider track. As soon as I put a small amount of shin-itsu on that seal on both sides, no more rattle which really isn't a rattle. It's a friction noise that is made when the metal of the door is rubbing against the dry rubber seal. Lastly, I'm not saying you shouldn't buy Shin-Itsu but it's ridiculously expensive (40 dollars a stinking tube in Canada) and I believe that any silicone based grease should do the trick.

Watchman

·
Registered
884 Posts
No rattles "yet" in my 2011 with 5000kms on it. My new 2002 and 2004s both developed rattles after a year or so of normal driving. Those relating to the sliding doors were usually resolvable with lubrication.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts