Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you owners of 2011 Odysseys noticed any excessive wind noise (constant swirling and roaring noises) at speeds above 55 MPH? If so, was your dealer able to pinpoint the source and correct the issue?

MY EX-L is very quiet at low speeds, but has very annoying wind noise above 55 MPH.

Thanks.

·
Banned
727 Posts
Re: Wind Noise

graham766 said:
Have any of you owners of 2011 Odysseys noticed any excessive wind noise (constant swirling and roaring noises) at speeds above 55 MPH? If so, was your dealer able to pinpoint the source and correct the issue?

MY EX-L is very quiet at low speeds, but has very annoying wind noise above 55 MPH.

Thanks.
The Honda's are noisy period. It is a combination of wind and road noise. At 70 mph on a fairly good asphalt road, I measured 75 db as compared to 70 db n a Sienna. That is 50% more noise.

Maybe your particular van has a problem (roof rack??), but I think it is the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone with 2011 experiencing "wind whistle"

Just got the Ody 4 weeks ago and have 750 miles on it. While driving at highway speeds (>55mph) there is an annoying "wind whistle" coming from the windshield/door on the passenger side. I know there were issues on previous gens with wind whistle and the windshield. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. We are planning on taking the van in to get this checked out soon (next week, hopefully) and will update if anything changes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I haven't noticed anything.
I've taken it to 85 mph and it's pretty quiet.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
608 Posts
It doesn't matter the year or make or model--the problem is mass production. The seals on every vehicle are either correctly placed and glued or not. Most likely they will need to replace the seal on the windshield or one of the door seals.

If they tell you it's "normal" have them take you out in 5 Ody's that are on the lot now and hit 80mph and listen. Make them PROVE it's normal and they'll just replace the seals one at a time until the problem goes away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also Have the Wind Noise

I also have the windshield noise on my '11 EX. I had the van back at the dealer for some accessory installs negociated at the sale. Of course what they heard is "normal". I will be going back again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Forgot to mention before I have an EX-L.

At 'rpakk' - let me know if the dealer resolves the problem.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
What about the mirror? My other car had a technical service bulletin on a similar problem. Poor insulation was the culprit, it affected a few first-year models

I find the 2011 Odyssey mirrors rather noisy at cruise speed, but off-topic anyway :)

·
Registered
755 Posts
They probably didn't install the plastic seal thingie right around the windshield. I've already hit the limit on the car (118-120mph, with no cars around me of course :D) and I had no noise coming from the windshield.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
faddygk81 said:
I don't believe its the mirror. Only occurring on the passenger's side.
OK, passenger's door mirror? :D. Only one mirror can have the insulation problem, not both necessarily. It is a rubbery/foamy material sheet used when attaching/screwing the mirror to the door. If it is not installed correctly or is too thin, then you hear the air flowing through at cruise speed...

Anyway, that was the most plausible thing between the windshield and the door that I thought of ;), good luck!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not to be butting into the Uptown segment here since I am the original owner of an '02 Ody with 160.000-miles and would LOVE an '11 Ody except for the old one won't die and I have no real use for 2 mini-vans, but when I first purchased "Helga" she also had the "windshield whistle" after several trips to the dealer and several new windshields it was determined that it was a cover on the roof rack that was making the whistling noise. The bolt cover on the front, passenger side rail was just unseated. Once the piece was replaced - no whistle.

At least it's worth a try - but I do not know what the rails look like on the '11's.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
FYI, the mirror issue, Mazda side of the house

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2006-2007 Mazda5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1 CR**** ** 155672 (produced before April 1, 2007)

2007 CX-7 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3 ER**** ** 166945 (produced before April 1, 2007)

2007 CX-9 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3 TB**** ** 117348 (produced before April 1, 2007)

DESCRIPTION

Some customers may complain about a whistling or wind noise from the outer mirrors when driving around 37
mph (60 km/h). A whistling noise is caused by an opening in the garnish-fitted hole under the mirror. On CX-7
only, a wind noise can also be caused by a gap in the harness-fitted rib groove on the outer mirror base.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

Link:

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda5/bulletin/09-008-08-1824.pdf

·
Registered
98 Posts
cmblair76 said:
Not to be butting into the Uptown segment here since I am the original owner of an '02 Ody with 160.000-miles and would LOVE an '11 Ody except for the old one won't die and I have no real use for 2 mini-vans, but when I first purchased "Helga" she also had the "windshield whistle" after several trips to the dealer and several new windshields it was determined that it was a cover on the roof rack that was making the whistling noise. The bolt cover on the front, passenger side rail was just unseated. Once the piece was replaced - no whistle.

At least it's worth a try - but I do not know what the rails look like on the '11's.
Unless he bought the dealer add-on--thye don't look like anything because they don't exist!

·
Registered
166 Posts
MFLetou said:
Unless he bought the dealer add-on--thye don't look like anything because they don't exist!
Interesting - it use to be that all Ody's came with roof racks except for the LX. I have seen many at my local dealer with the roof racks - guess I assumed the one's without were LX models. But like I said, it was only a suggestion.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Our 2001 EX has no noticeable wind noise until about 40 miles per hour, then when get an obvious wind noise from the right front side, maybe in the windhsield wiper or mirror area. We have not asked the dealer about it yet, but will add it to our list that includes,

-distorted windshield
-bad paint (even coming off on the bumper)
-molding inside the sliding door windows is out of shape

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I posted a thread several weeks ago that said that I had been experiencing a constant swirling wind noise coming from the front pillars or the small side windows on my 2011 EX-L. It is very annoying, and so far the dealer has said that another 2011 Odyssey they drove had the same noise. I don't think that means it's normal, but rather that they have a wind noise problem with more than one Odyssey. Hope they come out with a fix for it.

I took the Ody by another dealer while I was on vacation last week to see if they'd had received any complaints from 2011 Ody owners or fixes, and the service advisor that rode in the Ody said that there was a definite problem with the wind noise. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to leave it for them to investigate it further.

I plan on taking it to another local dealer and have them ride in it to see if they have any solutions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I didn't get the roof rack or rails installed, so that is not the problem. Thanks for the advice about the insulation issue and the small side window. I will make sure to mention both when I go to the dealership.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts