Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Anyone with 2019/20 replace a battery recently?

915 Views 28 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  DJVAN
Other than the leak/battery loss post/thread, has anyone else done this?
We're on our 3rd battery in a 2019 Elite. The (2nd) battery we got two years ago was "completely toasted" (dead). Good news is that the alternator is still putting out 14.4V.

AAA came and replaced it in our driveway - it was $322, for anyone tracking this.

The first sign of battery degradation was that our passenger side sliding door would stop halfway through. This happened 3-4x in the past three weeks.
Reactions: kvijayk
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
733 Posts
There’s something wrong with your charging system, specifically the battery management system.
Unless you let your kids sit in the van every night and watch movies until the battery is dead, there’s no way you should be on your third battery.

· Registered
2019 Ody EX
708 Posts
Other than the leak/battery loss post/thread, has anyone else done this?
We're on our 3rd battery in a 2019 Elite. The (2nd) battery we got two years ago was "completely toasted" (dead). Good news is that the alternator is still putting out 14.4V.

AAA came and replaced it in our driveway - it was $322, for anyone tracking this.

The first sign of battery degradation was that our passenger side sliding door would stop halfway through. This happened 3-4x in the past three weeks.
The original battery that came in our 2019 EX died in Dec 2022. Of course the EX has less battery demands than an Elite though.

· Premium Member
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There’s something wrong with your charging system, specifically the battery management system.
Unless you let your kids sit in the van every night and watch movies until the battery is dead, there’s no way you should be on your third battery.
Two comments - 1) Costco/Interstate is great, but won't install batteries. Especially at 7pm on a Saturday night, even if they did. AAA did. In my driveway.
2) I feel like every Honda has experienced battery issues. Two new ones in 4 years? Yeah I guess that's a lot. But it's a Honda.

· Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
535 Posts
Two weeks ago. It had the original replaced back in 2020 with the first owner. Got a Duralast AGM from autozone.

· Registered
316 Posts
The dealer just replaced our original battery, we had around 48k on it, and owned since new, bought in SEP 2018. Kept our old battery, it was still good. Got a replacement warranty which will probably last longer then we keep the vehicle, believe it was something like 5 years.

· Registered
316 Posts
would leaving the van unlocked in our garage impact battery life?
I wouldn’t think so, but leaving doors open for extended periods might. You know there seems to be a lot of things that can drain battery life. One thing I try to do before shutting it down is, turn the headlight switch off, radio off, and if I plan on sitting in the van for awhile, depending how long, put some windows down a little, and open and shut the door to basically shut everything down.
At least it seems to work for me, original battery lasted four years and was still good, changed out as a precaution.

· Registered
316 Posts
I must be on borrowed time. Our 2018, purchased in March of that year, is still on its original battery from the factory.
You’re doing good. Strange how batteries last. My brother-in-law has (I want to say) a 2011 or 12 Chevy pickup, standard V6 auto transmission, nothing extra, got like 10 years out of his battery. He’s up in Ohio, extreme wx compared to ours.
Never know, there’s a lot a things that factor in I guess….

· Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX
301 Posts
have you purchased a portable battery just to jump the car and change the battery at Costco yourself?
Because of my 2020, I have invested in a portable battery jump starter. It’s come in handy a few times. When I knew it was time, I bought an Interstate AGM battery at Costco, drove home, replaced the battery and took the core back the next day. I wasn’t confident in doing car work on the Costco parking lot. lol

Strangely enough, our 2019 has not had any issues and is still on the original battery.

Reactions: ddansb01

· Registered
396 Posts
I don't do car work because I'm afraid of fire/burning, electrocution, and glass.
But calling AAA took care of all of it without me getting burned, shocked, or cut.
12 Vdc won't hurt you. However, if you happen to short out the battery terminals with something metal, you will experience arc welding. When replacing a battery, remove the negative terminal first, that way when you are working on the positive terminal you won't have a problem if you happen to touch the engine or frame.

· Registered
2017 EX
124 Posts
12 Vdc won't hurt you. However, if you happen to short out the battery terminals with something metal, you will experience arc welding.
In fact, welding with a car battery is a well-known trick in the off-road community.

College capstone project was an electric car. First exercise was safety calculations. The short-circuit current of these lithium cells was something like 2000 amps. Prof had us calculate the theoretical volume of aluminum vapor which would be produced if we accidentally shorted a cell with a terminal bar. It was a big number.

· Registered
2019 Ody EX
708 Posts
12 Vdc won't hurt you. However, if you happen to short out the battery terminals with something metal, you will experience arc welding.
Yes! Never ever wear jewelry when working on a car. A ring or bracelet sorting out the 12 volts will be instant 4th degree burns.
EDIT: Add a metal wrist watch and metal wrist watch band to the list of not to wear.

· Registered
27 Posts
I am on 3rd battery now on my 2018 odyssey.
The 2nd battery was a DieHard lead acid battery from Advanced auto part.
It was dead after one year using.
I brought it to Honda to check and they said the battery is in good condition.
I was confused and Honda said they check the alternator and starter and both are good.
since I have these problems, if I want , Honda could keep the car to do further diagnosis ($189).
So I decide to go to Walmart to buy a new AGM battery and put it into the odyssey.
It is fine for one week now, I will keep watching.
My 2nd DieHard battery is still in a 3-year warranty.
What could I do for this "in good condition battery which does not work on my odyssey" ?

Help ~~~~~

1 - 20 of 29 Posts