Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this board, lots of great info!

Out 2002 EX-L should've finished up production yesterday and should be on it's way to the dealer soon. We expect to pick it up around the 23rd of February.

I've read about the paint issues on the SS Odyssey's so I'll keep an eye on that, but I haven't seen much info on the Rear Entertainment System (RES).

Any more info out there on this? Any opinions on it's quality?

Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
Regarding the RES system. I would take a DVD that you know works great in your home system and try it out in the Van. That's what we did.....we've had absolutely no problems with our RES and we Love it!!! Enjoy!!

Kim

·
Registered
52 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sgergen:
,but I haven't seen much info on the Rear Entertainment System (RES).

Any more info out there on this? Any opinions on it's quality?

Scott
</font>
As corny as this sounds, I recommend watching the demonstration DVD that comes with the RES. It had some helpful operation tips that weren't even included in the owner's manual.

As far as it's quality, the common concensus on this site is it is very high quality, but limited in it's features compared to some of the aftermarket systems that are available, and probably a bit more expensive overall. You only get DVD in it's factory configuration (although you can hook up a VCR or video game at the rear port location), no TV tuner, and what some consider a smallish screen.

On the plus sides, the screen does not block the view out the back with the rear view mirror. The zoning of the audio between front and read is excellent, the head unit is very nice. The unit actually decodes Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Digital (and handles the separation of channels, even to the wireless headphones). And probably the biggest advantage of the factory RES, NO FM MODULATION of the sound from the DVD system to the van's stereo system, it's all hard wired and sounds great (versus most aftermarkets that transmit the audio via a generated FM radio signal).

You can probably guess which one I have, and we are very happy with our factory RES. I know there are many people that are happy with the aftermarket systems they had put in as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You'll love your Ody. Heard about some paint issues but our GG EX is as slick as a baby's butt. Paint job is perfect! Have fun!

[This message has been edited by Shadowman (edited 02-05-2002).]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Viper is right about watching the DVD that comes with your new Ody. There are many/many pages in the manual that describe the operation of the entertainment system, but the instructional DVD is better.

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
56 Posts
The only thing you'll have to worry about is why your "Liking this van so much". Congrats and enjoy.

------------------
2002 Starlight Silver EXL-RES

·
Registered
52 Posts
Last night we discovered another reason why I like the factory RES better than the aftermarket or IVES systems I saw demonstrated. Our kids like to listen to these kiddie "books on cassette tape" type of deals. I would usually relent on the old van and suffer through those things endlessly, in an attempt to win "Dad of the Year" award or something to that effect.

Now, the kids can listen to those things via the headphones, and we can listen to the radio or a CD instead on the van speakers. The RES is now completely worth the price of admission IMHO, and I'm not sure that the aftermarkets can pipe the cassette source through the headphones, but maybe I'm wrong??

·
Registered
317 Posts
Good luck with your RES. We love ours since we do alot of drives from seattle to vancouver canada. We checked for the problems that some owners had, bad pixels but found ours was aokay. the head unit does contain alot of features that i have yet to use but once you start using it, its pretty easy to operate. Good luck, Ken
2002 SS EXL-RES

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I just say that you folks rock?

What a nice group of people that chime in with great information.

I think I'll like it here...

Thanks!

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts