Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shopping for a 2022 odyssey touring. Rear entertainment system is important for us since we have two kids 3 and under and they can’t navigate iPads themselves in the car. If there is content playing through the RES , can you have apple car play showing on the main infotainment screen? If so, how does the audio get handled?

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can have two audio sources playing. The rear entertainment can play one source over the headphones, and the main audio can play that same source or a different one over the speakers. I regularly have CarPlay up in the front while the rear entertainment is on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can have two audio sources playing. The rear entertainment can play one source over the headphones, and the main audio can play that same source or a different one over the speakers. I regularly have CarPlay up in the front while the rear entertainment is on.
What if you have the rear audio playing through the main speakers? Can you still have apple car play connected and displayed? I don’t need to hear apple car play but would like to be able to see google maps and Waze while the kids are watching the rear entertainment system.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Shopping for a 2022 odyssey touring. Rear entertainment system is important for us since we have two kids 3 and under and they can’t navigate iPads themselves in the car. If there is content playing through the RES , can you have apple car play showing on the main infotainment screen? If so, how does the audio get handled?
Unless you are getting the trim level that has the speakers in the third row the RES is going to be cranked up pretty loud if your listeners don't wear headphones. Also, the RES is finicky at best. Some DVDs and BluRays will restart where they leave off and some won't. This is the first vehicle I have owned with a RES that did this. Also note that if you have little kids who are unable to operated a remote, you will have to crane your neck and head around to be able to see the screen and then press the buttons on the dash to make the movie start. Poor execution of the RES really. Previous vehicles of mine would display the video on the front screen while in park so you could make all the adjustments and get the video playing before departing, not so in the Honda-sphere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless you are getting the trim level that has the speakers in the third row the RES is going to be cranked up pretty loud if your listeners don't wear headphones. Also, the RES is finicky at best. Some DVDs and BluRays will restart where they leave off and some won't. This is the first vehicle I have owned with a RES that did this. Also note that if you have little kids who are unable to operated a remote, you will have to crane your neck and head around to be able to see the screen and then press the buttons on the dash to make the movie start. Poor execution of the RES really. Previous vehicles of mine would display the video on the front screen while in park so you could make all the adjustments and get the video playing before departing, not so in the Honda-sphere.
I am looking at the touring trim, it doesn’t have the upgraded sound system in the elite so I assume it’s missing the speakers in the 3rd row. That’s unfortunate to hear about the RES , we have a 2014 odyssey elite with the wide screen RES and DVD and it works pretty well.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Odyssey Touring, silver with mocha
7 Posts
We play DVDs and BluRays regularly and I always have my CarPlay up at the same time. We have three young kids who can’t all manage iPads or headphones very well, so we play the movies through the speakers, with the volume aimed at the back of the car. I don’t use audio for directions anyway so it’s not an issue but the one time I did, Siri kept cutting into the movie sound every 2 seconds and it irritates everyone. I have a 2018 Touring and I’ve never had an issue with starting DVDs. Occasionally one won’t restart at the same point where it left off but I can navigate it all through my infotainment screen while driving 80 mph down I-95 and never use the remote. I had a 2016 Pilot with a very similar DVD system that would never start movies without the remote and it made me insane. This one is a big improvement.

·
Registered
2022 Odyssey Touring
20 Posts
I don't use the RES though we have it, but I have used the DVD player for audio CDs and can say that CarPlay does go on the screen even when playing the CD on the audio, or any other audio for that matter (e.g. radio or SiriusXM).

If you are concerned Google Maps and Waze interrupting the audio (whether from RES or anything else) with the voice directions, you can mute the direction sound. There's a mute button on the carplay screen which we use, because we have a different problem and that is the directions voices on both those apps are so loud. I don't know why or how to fix it but they are shouting at volumes that are not set on either the phone or car. So for now we have just muted them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts