Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The minivan sales race has turned into a real nail-biter.

Through April, the top three contenders are separated by a mere 754 units, with the Toyota Sienna holding on to the No. 1 spot with sales of 37,060 units.

Dodge Caravan is second with 36,721 vehicles, just 339 minivans behind, and the Honda Odyssey is cruising in third place with 36,306 sales.

However, the final rankings might be considerably different at the end of the year.

The popularity of the Honda and Sienna minivans likely is due to last year’s redesigns.

Interestingly, last year’s overall No. 1 seller, the Chrysler Town & Country, is trailing in fourth, with sales of 32,769 units. The Caravan and T&C received a freshening for the 2011 model year.

This year, parts shortages likely will have a bigger impact on minivan sales than buyer preferences as a result of the March 11 earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

For the time being, Honda and Toyota have both dialed back overall vehicle production.

[Automotive News]

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I'd be curious to know how many of those Dodge & Chrysler vans were fleet (rental company) sales. If you exclude fleet sales, I'll bet Dodge & Chrysler are a far distance behind Toyota & Honda.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Man, the Sienna smoked the Odyssey in April 2011 sales! I wonder if the supposed parts shortages (due to the earthquake and tsunami in Japan) had anything to do with it?

:huh:

·
Registered
687 Posts
I somewhat agree. The fewer on the road the more unique your vehicle is. Unfortunately, as we move into model years 2 and 3, etc. there will be too many Gen 4 Odysseys on the road!

:frown:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Man, the Sienna smoked the Odyssey in April 2011 sales! I wonder if the supposed parts shortages (due to the earthquake and tsunami in Japan) had anything to do with it?

:huh:
Toyota has all of the same problems with production that Honda has right now.

·
Registered
786 Posts
LOL, more Mazda5s sold than the Nissan Quest or the VW Routan...

I'd prefer the Odyssey to be on 4th or 5th place, the less the merrier ;)
I agree, as much as I love my 3rd Gen Ody, I don't like the way they are everywhere. At least I got a rare color that was only available for the first two years and wasn't very popular.
I talked with a Nissan salesman two weeks ago and he said the Quests haven't been selling very well. I found this to be another benefit in the Quest's favor, although I know I'm probably alone in considering it ;)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Personally I don't really mind the new look, but I know a lot of people were turned off by the Ody's new design especially the sliding door part. With the vans being very close in many aspects, and the Sienna's sheetmetal looking good for a minivan, I can understand.

Drove my dad's '10 tundra yesterday and it was impressive in some aspects like the doors hardly took any effort to close fully, the power window controls and the way they went up and down was amazingly silent smooth and powerful like a Lexus. The plastic inside was a bit much however, but engine power was very good and he only has the 4.6. If the Sienna is built like the Tundra, I can see it selling well, especially after the troubles I've had.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Personally I don't really mind the new look, but I know a lot of people were turned off by the Ody's new design especially the sliding door part. With the vans being very close in many aspects, and the Sienna's sheetmetal looking good for a minivan.
I don't care anymore either, but I guess the van owners in my area didn't get that message, I started seeing tons of '11 Odysseys around, more than '11 Siennas, not good in my books :(

·
Registered
687 Posts
While overall US minivan sales were down 9.1% from April to May 2001 (44,556 to 40,483), the Honda Odyssey retains the monthly salew crown. Amazingly, it beat the Dodge Caravn by one sale but handily beat the Toyota Sienna by around 800 sales.

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts