Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm suppose to have them installed tomorrow and i'm getting varying reports from folks here. some say they are great, another says the speedo will be off 3% and they are not a good size because they are also too wide.

i did my research to death and from what i found, it looks like they are almost exactly 28" in diameter -- a perfect fit. did i mess this up somehow? why am i getting varying reports from people here?

thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah, i've got a 2007 touring.

seems like many think 255 is too wide but on every example here, they are 255/55. the tires i'm getting are 255/50 -- and i just don't find any info here about folks that are actually running these... like zero.

anyone?

·
Registered
63 Posts
You pm'd me you were getting 245/50/18 on tl wheels not the 255/50/18 mdx you posted here. I definitely think the 255 are going to be to wide. What year mdx are try off of?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think you have me confused with someone else, I never pm'd you that. In my other post "Depax Safety > Ride > Look" you said just swap the sensors over on the wheel/tire combo above and I'd be good to go. You also pm'd me a tire list that included 255/50/18.

Is my mistake the mdx wheels? the year is 2012 mdx

i'm totally confused now :(

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
In my other post "Depax Safety > Ride > Look" you said just swap the sensors over on the wheel/tire combo above and I'd be good to go. You also pm'd me a tire list that included 255/50/18.
This is one of the reasons why you shouldn't open up multiple threads for the same question. You could have carried on your tire size question in that thread. I also don't understand why you're sold on that tire size. Most here get the rims and the right tires for the ody. All that dePax information has been discussed ad nauseum on here and then some. There are links in the stickies to tire calculators that will tell you if you use a said tire how off your speedo is going to be. Those tire size calculators have been out there way before Odyclub and are right no matter what someone says, I'd trust the miata.net calculator more.

Take the simple way out. Get the rims. Get the recommended tire size and get the correct tire in that size and be done with it. The correct tire size is mentioned in both the dePax stickies and several threads.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
please don't lecture me. i've played by the rules here. posting in the correct forums and doing my research. opening a new thread to zero in a new issue seemed logical but whatever, i guess not to you. the problem here is, there is TOO much information because it has been discussed so many times before. the calculators (which i did check several times) all say that tire is closer to the oem tire in terms of diameter and rotation than almost any other. i'm NOT stuck on this tire size at all, i just happened to get a great deal from the dealership. show where it says anywhere on this site that 255/FIFTY/18 is a bad size -- i sure couldn't.

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
You missed the one fact that's in the stickies about trying and posting in EXISTING threads on the subject if we're paring down rule violations.

Back to your question. Now, I am confued.

some say they are great, another says the speedo will be off 3% and they are not a good size because they are also too wide.
i'm NOT stuck on this tire size at all, i just happened to get a great deal from the dealership. show where it says anywhere on this site that 255/FIFTY/18 is a bad size -- i sure couldn't.
What am I missing?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm referring to two private messages i got. i don't want to call out specific people, so i generalized and said 'some say'. i got one pm as well as confirm on my other thread that led me to believe that tire size was great. i just got a pm last night from someone here that they would NOT be good. there is no open forum anywhere on this site i found that has definitive info one way or the other about this tire size. frankly, i don't think anyone really knows the answer for sure because i don't think anyone is running that tire here with a FIFTY on the aspect ratio.

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
And that is exactly what I am trying to tell you. Why are you getting the said tire? Get the one most commonly mentioned in the 2 dePax stickies perhaps?

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got that wheel/tire combo because i was told it would be a good fit by someone here. last night, another person pm'd me that it would not be a good fit. i went on this morning to try and clarify two opposing opinions. that clear enough?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did you actually take the time to read the whole thread you found with your google search? in the very first paragraph is specifically says: "The 255/50/18 however, is exactly the correct size for this vehicle..."

later on, one guy says the tires rub but he's talking about 255/FIFTYFIVE/18. the thread ends with the op once again asking about 255/FIFTY/18.

now what?

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
Now what? Well you're on your own buddy. I did read the thread. The RELEVANT part is in BOLD below. Good luck with your purchase as it seems you don't want help. You want to go by 2 PMs you got instead of the hundereds of threads on here citing which size is the best. Have you even gone on TireRack and pulled up your wheels and seen what size they recommend for an Ody in say plus 1 or plus 2 sizes?

I wanted to know if anyone has tried a 255/50/18 size tire on a 5th Gen. I have a set of MDX Tech. wheels and tires (255/55/18) and they do rub, but not on the fender (so far). I am getting rubbing inside the wheel well due to the larger diameter of the tire (almost 1" larger than stock), not the width. The 255/50/18 however, is exactly the correct size for this vehicle, even a better match than the 235/55/18 that most people are running. There are not a lot of tires available in this size, but I found a Nitto 420S that looks like a great tire for a very reasonable price (Discount Tires, Custom Wheels, Rims, Goodyear, Michelin, Cooper Tires). I have not been able to load mine down a lot to see if the fender rubs because of the rubbing I do have inside the wheel well. Any input from people who have tried 255 width tires would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i love how you ignored the part JUST BEFORE what you bolded -- you know...
EVEN BETTER THAN the 235/55/18. that's my point -- i DID the research and the very post you sited claims that 255/50/18 ARE the BEST match. i think you're just upset now because a noob has challenged your super duper moderation.

look, in the end, it seems 235/55/18 is the most tested and road proven to work but no where here does it say 255/50/18 is not the way and again, in very post you sited... it claims that in fact, 255/50/18 is the perfect fit.

·
Super Moderator
13,837 Posts
Let us all stupid people know how those tires work out for you since you found exactly one post that says they're are better fit and you had one person PM you that they're a better fit.

Again. Good luck with your wheel/tire upgrade.

Next time, please search and post in existing threads as this I stress again SHOULD have either gone to your own thread or in the already existing thread on the same exact tire size thread you have already studied.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts