Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2009 Volkswagen Routan. I probably got the only one out there with mild issues.

I am about to hit 140k miles and want to get something much newer/better since my oldest starts kindergarten this year.

My husband and I are dead set on a 2018 Odyssey Elite. Or at least I was until I started reading about the issues.

This will be the newest and most expensive car I've ever purchased.

Are 5th gens crap? Should I consider an older model!!??

Thanks!

馃槉

Registered
We upgraded from a 2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL premium with all the bells and features to 2020 Honda Odyssey EXL without navigation or res. We got 173500 miles out of it before the transmission gave out. We decided to go what's the XL model. $1,700 for a built-in navigation and one rear screen wasn't very convincing to us. Plus reading all these forums about all the issues that people are having with fully loaded infotainment systems were a deterrent for us as well.
With that Elite you will be getting the 10-speed transmission oh, so I think that's a good choice. We love it compared to our Volkswagen Routan. Build quality is way nicer on a Honda then on any Chrysler product. Besides the transmission and a couple of infotainment issues that some people are reporting on these forums and on Facebook group, it is a pretty solid vehicle.

Registered
I drive a 2009 Volkswagen Routan. I probably got the only one out there with mild issues.

I am about to hit 140k miles and want to get something much newer/better since my oldest starts kindergarten this year.

My husband and I are dead set on a 2018 Odyssey Elite. Or at least I was until I started reading about the issues.

This will be the newest and most expensive car I've ever purchased.

Are 5th gens crap? Should I consider an older model!!??

Thanks!

馃槉
Welcome aboard, Summarro. With a 4th generation Ody you'd be looking at 2017 or earlier. That's at least four model years behind. Perhaps if you could get a low mileage 2017 in mint shape for a song, it would be fine.

As a matter of history, a lot of the 2018s had major issues but that's typical of any new release. There was little improvement in the 2019s. The 2020s are showing promise but obviously, it's still too early to tell what their long term reliability will be. I bought a 2018 EX. It works perfectly but I only have 13,000 miles on it. There are some incredibly stupid design features and the build quality is sub-standard. If I were in the market for another minivan, I'd be looking elsewhere. The bottom line is, you must ask yourself exactly what do you want in a minivan. Based on your answers, I'm sure others can chime in and say "yes or no."

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
  1. We upgraded from a 2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL premium with all the bells and features to 2020 Honda Odyssey EXL without navigation or res. We got 173500 miles out of it before the transmission gave out. We decided to go what's the XL model. $1,700 for a built-in navigation and one rear screen wasn't very convincing to us. Plus reading all these forums about all the issues that people are having with fully loaded infotainment systems were a deterrent for us as well.
    With that Elite you will be getting the 10-speed transmission oh, so I think that's a good choice. We love it compared to our Volkswagen Routan. Build quality is way nicer on a Honda then on any Chrysler product. Besides the transmission and a couple of infotainment issues that some people are reporting on these forums and on Facebook group, it is a pretty solid vehicle.
    Thanks so much for your reply!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome aboard, Summarro. With a 4th generation Ody you'd be looking at 2017 or earlier. That's at least four model years behind. Perhaps if you could get a low mileage 2017 in mint shape for a song, it would be fine.

As a matter of history, a lot of the 2018s had major issues but that's typical of any new release. There was little improvement in the 2019s. The 2020s are showing promise but obviously, it's still too early to tell what their long term reliability will be. I bought a 2018 EX. It works perfectly but I only have 13,000 miles on it. There are some incredibly stupid design features and the build quality is sub-standard. If I were in the market for another minivan, I'd be looking elsewhere. The bottom line is, you must ask yourself exactly what do you want in a minivan. Based on your answers, I'm sure others can chime in and say "yes or no."
Thanks so much for your reply!

I want a bunch of ridiculous bells and whistle and the status of the Elite. Especially after driving a beat up Routan for 5 years. But it seems with the 2018 the bells and whistles don't even work half the time!

I have a 5 year old and a almost 2 year old. Therefore safety and dependability are even more important.

I've read of 5 recalls on the 2018 2 or 3 being very dangerous, such as cutting off and the sliding door opening.

There are a ton of them for sell on Carmax. I am now starting to think a 2018 is a TERRIBLE idea!

I am now looking at a 2015 or 2016 Odyssey. Sure it doesn't have the same status or bells and whistles, but seems safer and I am more likely to get what I pay for.

Thoughts?

Registered
Thanks so much for your reply!

I want a bunch of ridiculous bells and whistle and the status of the Elite. Especially after driving a beat up Routan for 5 years. But it seems with the 2018 the bells and whistles don't even work half the time!

I have a 5 year old and a almost 2 year old. Therefore safety and dependability are even more important.

I've read of 5 recalls on the 2018 2 or 3 being very dangerous, such as cutting off and the sliding door opening.

There are a ton of them for sell on Carmax. I am now starting to think a 2018 is a TERRIBLE idea!

I am now looking at a 2015 or 2016 Odyssey. Sure it doesn't have the same status or bells and whistles, but seems safer and I am more likely to get what I pay for.

Thoughts?
If anything, every 5th generation ODY's are safe. A couple guys have posted their accident's he was in with wife and children in the ODY, the ODY did not survive but everyone else did in the ODY. No one will complain about the survive-ability in A ODY, however about everything else is what makes us pull our hair out, including the Honda people! I do not know if I would trust an ODY that has been in a accident and repaired.

Registered
Here's a stupid question: what the hell does "MMC" stand for? I Googled it and none of the definitions relate to this thread.

Registered
I hate when people start from "are 5th gen Odysseys bad"...
Anyway, no, it is not bad, better than VW for sure, I owned numerous Hondas and VW/Audis/Skodas.... can't compare them.
Regarding 5th gen ody, it is good. no complaints, even if there is something, I can always take it to stealership and get it fixed.

Registered
All trim levels of the 2020's have the 10 speed transmission. The troublesome 9 speed is gone. Don't let this forum scare you off. The 2020 Odyssey is a solid choice. We are enjoying our Odyssey. It's smooth, fuel efficient, reliable and dare I say "fun" to drive.With snow tires, it has been great in the snow and runs just fine no matter how low the temp dips up here in the Northeast.

Registered
All trim levels of the 2020's have the 10 speed transmission. The troublesome 9 speed is gone. Don't let this forum scare you off. The 2020 Odyssey is a solid choice. We are enjoying our Odyssey. It's smooth, fuel efficient, reliable and dare I say "fun" to drive.With snow tires, it has been great in the snow and runs just fine no matter how low the temp dips up here in the Northeast.
+1 on fun to drive, rear sway bar does help and Hondas known for their handling, I do love how my Ody handles.

Registered
+1 on fun to drive, rear sway bar does help and Hondas known for their handling, I do love how my Ody handles.
No argument there. Even my 2018 EX is the nicest ride I've ever experienced in a car. There are a few things the dealerships are not able to fix because Honda Corp either hasn't put the money into a fix or are unwilling to.

Registered
We upgraded from a 2009 Volkswagen Routan SEL premium with all the bells and features to 2020 Honda Odyssey EXL without navigation or res. We got 173500 miles out of it before the transmission gave out. We decided to go what's the XL model. $1,700 for a built-in navigation and one rear screen wasn't very convincing to us. Plus reading all these forums about all the issues that people are having with fully loaded infotainment systems were a deterrent for us as well.
I am thinking you mistyped as all the 2020 odysseys are now 10 speed trans. The 2019 and 9 Speed unless you get the Touring or above. BUT in 2020 all trims come with 10 Speed trans now. Source: Build and Price Result

Registered
New to this forum but not new to Honda Odysseys. We own a 2018 Touring Elite (currently 27k miles); prior to this we owned a 2015 EX-L.

I'm thoroughly impressed by the new Elite. I drive the car as much as my wife does, and I consider myself to be a "car guy". Handling is excellent, ride quality is really good even on the 19" optional rims (by way of reference, I also own a Lexus LS). Build quality is - for the most part - good, but not Lexus good. We had a couple issues with door foam trim coming off, and the driver's seat trim coming off a bit.

Compared to the 2015 Odyssey, WAY better as far as driver satisfaction is concerned. The engine is punchier, transmission smoother and noise is much more muted, as is the wind noise at highway speed. 2015 Odyssey engine was quite raspy. You can also tell that it's a much more rigid structure than the last model.

Infotainment is what it is. Very few manufacturers have a good thing going in this area, so don't take it too seriously. I would have preferred a few more solid buttons vs. the screen, because making changes while driving is a real challenge. But we have not experienced any issues with the infotainment system not working, etc.

We leased this Honda, but for the first time in a long time I'm considering buying it. Got a GREAT deal when I leased it ($41k off the lot for a new Elite), and you still can't find anything close on the used market for these cars to what our residual buyout is.

I highly recommend this. I haven't ever owned any other minivans, but I'm fine sticking with this Honda.

Registered
Welcome aboard, Go Navy99! You said,
I would have preferred a few more solid buttons vs. the screen because making changes while driving is a real challenge.
It's interesting that manufacturers have moved more functions to the touch screen and are adding so many new functions every year to those screens. Query: isn't using a touch screen for so many functions bordering on the same danger as texting while at the wheel? I know that only key functions are available while the car is in Drive, but the numbers seem to be going up. I certainly agree that physical knobs are more intuitive and quicker to use!

Registered
Welcome aboard, Go Navy99! You said,

It's interesting that manufacturers have moved more functions to the touch screen and are adding so many new functions every year to those screens. Query: isn't using a touch screen for so many functions bordering on the same danger as texting while at the wheel? I know that only key functions are available while the car is in Drive, but the numbers seem to be going up. I certainly agree that physical knobs are more intuitive and quicker to use!
I absolutely feel this way. I'm bouncing around on the highway, and trying to land my finger on the 0.5x0.5" app button for "FM." And you have to be a command-line expert to navigate the menus using the steering wheel buttons at speed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts