Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
I drive a 2009 Volkswagen Routan. I probably got the only one out there with mild issues.

I am about to hit 140k miles and want to get something much newer/better since my oldest starts kindergarten this year.

My husband and I are dead set on a 2018 Odyssey Elite. Or at least I was until I started reading about the issues.

This will be the newest and most expensive car I've ever purchased.

Are 5th gens crap? Should I consider an older model!!??

Thanks!

馃槉
I'm not going to say mine is "bad" as it meets my needs and is wonderful to drive. And I've owned 5 going back to 2002. My 2018 Canadian Touring (U.S. Elite) which now has about 56000 miles on it (90,000 kms) may not be "bad" but it's certainly possessed. Glitches come and glitches go and if I ran off to the garage every time something stopped working for a few days it would be easier to leave it with them. "Wait long enough and it fixes itself" seems to be the mantra. But not always. Tomorrow it goes in for a back up camera that is useless as well as speakers that snap, crackle and pop and make hands free operation of a cell phone impossible.

Registered
I've had most of the wiring and ignition replaced in my 2018 along with the infotainment, dash, and main under hood fuse panel. It's not normal. Other friends who have the same thing are reporting that the doors don't close reliably and the infotainment loses the station memory. They have 2018s as well. One neighbor is lemon lawing hers and I may do the same. I'll prob go to the new sienna when they come out. I LOVE Hondas and have owned nothing but Hondas (87 accord, 99 accord, 2003 CRV, 2004 Civic), but I think we will after this. This is next level bad build.

I drive a 2009 Volkswagen Routan. I probably got the only one out there with mild issues.

I am about to hit 140k miles and want to get something much newer/better since my oldest starts kindergarten this year.

My husband and I are dead set on a 2018 Odyssey Elite. Or at least I was until I started reading about the issues.

Thanks!

馃槉

Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
I would look for a good deal on a 2014-2017 model. My personal, unprofessional opinion is that the drivetrain on these vans will last longer than the 9- or 10- speed transmissions on the current generation Odyssey.

I will admit - I am biased, and prefer tried and true technology over the newest thing, especially when it comes to something like cars.

Registered
Thanks so much for your reply!

I want a bunch of ridiculous bells and whistle and the status of the Elite. Especially after driving a beat up Routan for 5 years. But it seems with the 2018 the bells and whistles don't even work half the time!

I have a 5 year old and a almost 2 year old. Therefore safety and dependability are even more important.

I've read of 5 recalls on the 2018 2 or 3 being very dangerous, such as cutting off and the sliding door opening.

There are a ton of them for sell on Carmax. I am now starting to think a 2018 is a TERRIBLE idea!

I am now looking at a 2015 or 2016 Odyssey. Sure it doesn't have the same status or bells and whistles, but seems safer and I am more likely to get what I pay for.

Thoughts?
My 2018 Elite has 56K miles on it. I must be a lucky owner. My Odyssey is almost trouble free. It is just as dependable as my previous 2008. Van is an excellent highway cruiser with great mileage (21-28). I am suspicious about some of the false claims in the forum.

Registered

Thanks!

馃槉
i had 2010 and I loved it ...on my 2018 elite, I dont like the rear seats side to side..they sit on a plastic platform that really makes it hard for me and my labradors . the bed is not flat not solid and uneven I freakin hate

Registered
My 2018 Elite has 56K miles on it. I must be a lucky owner. My Odyssey is almost trouble free. It is just as dependable as my previous 2008. Van is an excellent highway cruiser with great mileage (21-28). I am suspicious about some of the false claims in the forum.
I wouldn't say they're false claims per se. We have had only positive experience for the last few months we owned our 2020 EX-L.

Odyssey community is exactly the same as many out there. 90%+ owners enjoy a worry-free vehicle and don't even join any of these forums or groups. A few percent join these forums because of wealth of information.

The other few percent that do have issues proclaim so on every venue and platform possible.

Some do it to bring attention to the issue by other owners. Others to get manufacturer's attention.

If the percentage of complaints on forums truly reflected failure rates of these vans or any other vehicles - car manufacturers would be out of business.

You can't judge the overall health of the city just by surveying 6 people at town's hospital emergency room.

Registered
Here's the way I look at it. My 2019 EX-L has some of the nagging infotainment issues that have been reported on the board. I've gotten used to them.

I expect they will continue to occur until I trade the van in at 175,000 trouble-free miles.

So... do I wish I had purchased a Chrysler, Dodge, or Volkswagon? Nope. No regrets here.

Registered
Some of these posts beg the question, "How long do I usually keep a vehicle?" If you're the type of person who drives a car until the three-year warranty runs out and then trades it, you can buy almost anything out there. If you want longevity, you need to do your homework on which vehicles have the best track record. I sure have learned that buying the first year release is sometimes a bad idea. I also made the same mistake a lot of others made - assuming that everything Honda created was common sense and the best.

At my stage of life, I'm a low mileage person, so I guess almost anything would suit me. I'm approaching year 3 with my 2018 EX and I only have 22,000 km on it (13,600 miles)! My warranty is done as of June this year but with that low a mileage perhaps I don't have a lot to be worried about?

If what I said is true and like many others, perhaps shopping for the best design, ride, and features are the best bet, regardless of make. Obviously, some of us can no longer depend on that impeccable Honda quality while others think nothing has changed at Honda because the car they bought has been flawless so far.

Registered
Some of these posts beg the question, "How long do I usually keep a vehicle?" If you're the type of person who drives a car until the three-year warranty runs out and then trades it, you can buy almost anything out there. If you want longevity, you need to do your homework on which vehicles have the best track record. I sure have learned that buying the first year release is sometimes a bad idea. I also made the same mistake a lot of others made - assuming that everything Honda created was common sense and the best.

At my stage of life, I'm a low mileage person, so I guess almost anything would suit me. I'm approaching year 3 with my 2018 EX and I only have 22,000 km on it (13,600 miles)! My warranty is done as of June this year but with that low a mileage perhaps I don't have a lot to be worried about?

If what I said is true and like many others, perhaps shopping for the best design, ride, and features are the best bet, regardless of make. Obviously, some of us can no longer depend on that impeccable Honda quality while others think nothing has changed at Honda because the car they bought has been flawless so far.
Hodna. My two cents worth. Honda is no better or worse than other manufacturers the past decade or more.

If you鈥檙e going to keep it buy an extension of the warranty before June. I still love my 5th Odyssey but as I look at the maintenance records for 90000 kms driven since September 2017 I鈥檇 be bankrupt without it. It鈥檚 worth the peace of mind. I purchased 100000 kms which I鈥檒l hit in the next 3 months and I鈥檓 grappling with keeping it and driving it into the ground or taking the loss now. Even if I keep it I鈥檓 working the cost of another 100000 kms into the picture. Today they were several hours trying to trace a wiring issue others have reported. Cost me nothing. And they ordered a replacement back up camera on warranty for me.

A few days like that and the warranty is paid for. All u need us to lose a transmission or something.

Best of luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
I would look for a good deal on a 2014-2017 model. My personal, unprofessional opinion is that the drivetrain on these vans will last longer than the 9- or 10- speed transmissions on the current generation Odyssey.

I will admit - I am biased, and prefer tried and true technology over the newest thing, especially when it comes to something like cars.
I ended up going with the 2016 Elite and after a month am very very happy!!

I totally agree with you!

Registered
I feel bad for all the folks having trouble but we love our 2019 Elite. 9k miles and zero issues other than the hassle of having to take it in for the recall work.

We use the RES all the time. We don鈥檛 really use cabin watch. When we do it鈥檚 only for a minute at a time so we鈥檝e never had the freeze/over heat issue. If you must use both at the same time then I would look elsewhere.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts