Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying tires is like buying tv's appliances. etc.. So so many options. At first I thought I would just buy the best and be done with it now I am wondering if I would notice a big difference in a somewhat cheaper tire. I live where we don't get much snow, so I am not worried about traction in the snow. Thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have Michelins on the van now, and this is the first set of Michelins I've owned (and only tires I've had on the van - got them soon after buying the van). I think there are some Coopers that are well regarded for our vans as well.

I can't say I notice any difference between these and other tires I've had (on other vehicles). I always do get well regarded/reviewed tires for a given vehicle though and have always been happy with my choices. I had some Continentals that came with a Expedition I purchased many years ago - hated those f*cking tires and replaced them ASAP. They wondered all over the place on the freeways.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Buying tires is like buying tv's appliances. etc.. So so many options. At first I thought I would just buy the best and be done with it now I am wondering if I would notice a big difference in a somewhat cheaper tire. I live where we don't get much snow, so I am not worried about traction in the snow. Thanks
Buying better quality tires s generally noticed depending on how you drive and your terrain. If you don't mind me asking, what size are you looking for?

There are some excellent buys during the Discount Tire Direct Thanksgiving Deals sale. Here is a link where you can search online by vehicle or size:

Search for Tires by Size or Vehicle | Discount tire Direct

Please let us know if we can help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have owned my 2008 EX-L since new and went through three sets of Michelins, all from the 'Club. EVERY set of tires cracked up up on the sidewalls, really bad. The set I just "retired" were so cracked they had to go. I live in south central Illinois. I don't see buying any more Michelins. My 2008 Accord V6 just got Pirelli P5's and the Odyssey now has PZeros.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Went from a set of Sumitumos to Michelin Premiers and I can personally say it’s worth it. The road noise was reduced as well as the minor bumps from minor road imperfections. Driven them in the wet conditions already and they do a great job. I was warned though that these vans are hard on tires since they are heavy and have a long wheelbase. I opted for the LTX version of the tire to handle more weight.

I would consider myself somewhat biased towards the Michelin brand as I have used them on all of our passenger cars. I’ve had Energy Savers, Pilot Sports, Defenders, and MXV4s. I use other brand tires on my sport/track dedicated cars. I have found that the Michelins do really well in the passenger car field. (I haven’t had much luck with Bridgestones, Pirelli, Goodyear and BF Goodrich on the passenger cars. Found that ride comfort was compromised and bad wear over the life of the tires.)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Just got Defenders, they perform great. How they will hold up is another question.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I would say, it depends. *Some* Michelin tires are not as good as a similar brand in a particular type of tire. Others will be infinitely superior.

Depending on your budget and the type, size, speed rating etc of the tire will determine which is 'best' for you. Cost of course is also a factor.

For what its worth, I've had two sets of Michelins on my Odyssey and they have been good. I've also had (on a previous Ody), Yokohama and Pirelli. They were both really good too.

I loved the Yokohamas and the Pirellis on my previous Ody, and the current Michelins are probably very similar in terms of feel, noise and ride. Where the current Michelins seem to be lacking (they are Primacy MXM4), is wet weather traction isn't quite as good as the others. Not bad, just not quite as good (subjective).

On the other hand, my Michelin winters have been outstanding. No issues at all - and infinitely better than the Continental winters I've had in the past.

Bottom line, read up on some online reviews - do your research. Tread wear ratings tell part of the story too. Longer lasting tires *could* have a harder rubber compound to last longer, so grip may not be quite as good. Similarly a softer compound won't likely last as long, but should be grippier.

Good luck in your shopping!

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Just got Defenders, they perform great. How they will hold up is another question.
They lasted me 35k-45k miles. Very good tires for places like California and Florida.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Reviving an old thread. I've got a '14 EX and need to replace the tires. Am on Michelin Premier LTX, but am thinking about going to MXV4. (I had to replace 2 of the Premiers after only 2 years and about 25k, and the 2 I didn't replace then now look like the tires from A Christmas Story). So if anyone has had experience on both Premier LTX and MXV4s, I'm curious as to their opinion on which they liked better.

By way of background, I had an '00 LX for about 14 years (which had MXV4s for most of its life), and it seems like this new van is much harder on tires (as someone commented above).

Thanks,
Soxfan62

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I think Michelin is phasing out the MXV4 in favor of the Premier. That's what I will be getting soon, but I too have read that my 2002 is a different animal than your 2014 in terms of tire wear.

Perhaps your question should seek experience with Premier LTX (SUV) versus Premier AS (car)?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I ended up with Bridgestones from Costco. They would have had to order the Michelins, and I literally couldn't wait the week or so (due to travel this weekend), so just went with what they had in stock. We'll see how it goes...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts