Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to pick up my GG EX 01 in a few weeks. Didn't order Mud Guards. Don't really like the way they look. I don't travel on any gravel or unpaved roads. Do I really need them for just rain/snow? Might they just trap dirt over the long haul and actually contribute to rusting? THey don't seem very big anyway. ANy opinons? Thanks JEFF

·
1,484 Posts
From my experience you do need them. That's if you don't want to wash your van every single week. Even in good weather the Odyssey lower side can get pretty dirty. Although yet small - they do DO they job on keeping all that dirt off. Sure the mud guards aren't the best when it comes to looks - but hey, what's more important. Looks or cleanliness?

-nemogira

·
Registered
200 Posts
It took me about a week or so before I got my mud guards installed. I had road grime half way up the van, along most of the length of the vehicle. There has been a difference in the amount of grime that gets on the sides. Now it stays towards the lower portion of the vehicle and is not nearly as much.

If you change your mind, check out the "Links" area for links to reasonably priced accessories. The mud guards are quite easy to install.

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
261 Posts
Huh, funny, I thought the guards adds a sporty look to the van. Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Functionality of the guards? I dont really think it does it's job well enough....but all you need to know have been said by jvennitti.

I still would prefer a colored guard...maybe some day I'll think of a way to "dry up" the mold release chemical in the guard before painting it.
what do yall think? Any idea on "drying up" the chemical?

------------------
abyez
'99 GG EX

·
Registered
196 Posts
I posted this in another topic and thought it mite be useful. Just my opinion.

"There is a valid argument for getting the factory splash guards. I wonder if anyone else noticed this. If you use the palm of your hand and thump lightly on either of the rear lower quarter panels, or if you push too hard for that matter when waxing, you will notice a rattle because the panel is not supported very well. The factory splash guards are very heavy duty in construction and add a lot of support to that area once they're fastened in. I think they should be standard equipment just to make the van more ridgid. On my van, it made the rattles go away and made the quarter panels very solid.

Also, even thought the Guards are quite small, if you look at the line of sight betwen the bottom of the tire and the bottom of the rear panel (with guards installed) you will see that at least 80% of the area is covered. These guards are almost identicle in size to my 2000 accord guards but they seem to catch more dirt and water than the accord guards. Not perfect, but pretty effective. IMO, well worth the cost when buying on line from Hand A Accessories.com."

Also...very simple install!

------------------
Tom
2001 SS EX

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I may reconsider now and have the mud guards installed (or purchase them myself) JEFF

·
Registered
392 Posts
Try to get the mud guards free. Since the dealer will not go below MSRP, the least they can do is give you some accessories. I got my guards free plus a couple of carwashes. I think the guards do a good job keeping the bottom half of the van clear of mud and grime. I've driven my van for a month already and the bottom half is still clean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts