Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2003 EXL-RES for the wife and kids. Reading some posts about mileage I started thinking... :confused: . There has got to be some easy and cheap mods to increase the performance of the ODY. This is my first Honda so I'm a novice when it comes to the engine and what can be accomplished. I'm thinking at a minimum K&N intake.....

Any hints or first hand experience?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Welcome to the club ! Try searching, some of use here have done their own mods. Performance gains ? It remains to be seen.Maybe little, if at all that. There really isn't much written in stone for the Ody, performance wise.
There are quite a variety of intake mods here. Look around !
Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
I think the only performance mod you can do to make an Ody any faster is trade it in for a Maxima! 260HP and 1000 pounds less weight!

:stupid:

·
Registered
10 Posts
best bang for the $$$?

N2O

the kids would probably like the sound from the intake + exhaust.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Best bang for the buck mod?

Stick a "Type R" sticker, that will add some oomph ... ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
jono said:

if you're going to that, you might as well make it a GTR sticker. :stupid:

G

·
ole said:
best bang for the $$$?
1. H&R springs
2. Airlift bags
3. Different tires
4. Remove airbox resonator
5. Different exhaust
6. Computer chip
7. Tranny and PS coolers

I've done 1 through 4 and #7. Thinking about 5. The company that makes #6 scares me off though.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
jono said:

It works for me! :p

Jerry O.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Coming and going.:rolleyes:

Jerry O.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wayne,

What type of exhaust were you thinking of? Cat Back or just the muffler?

G

·
kacyk said:
Wayne,

What type of exhaust were you thinking of? Cat Back or just the muffler?
A Cherry Bomb!!! :stupid:

Really? Well, I'm pretty much doing it just for the sound of it. The stock Honda exhaust sounds like the engine is trying to exhale through a kazoo.

From looking underneath, it doesn't appear all that restrictive, so rather than the expense of a full cat-back system, I was just thinking of a new muffler. I haven't looked seriously and probably won't until the spring, but a little bit of burble would be nice.

Has anyone done anything with their muffler?

Wayne

·
Registered
435 Posts
Wayne Lim said:
A Cherry Bomb!!! :stupid:

Really? Well, I'm pretty much doing it just for the sound of it. The stock Honda exhaust sounds like the engine is trying to exhale through a kazoo.

From looking underneath, it doesn't appear all that restrictive, so rather than the expense of a full cat-back system, I was just thinking of a new muffler. I haven't looked seriously and probably won't until the spring, but a little bit of burble would be nice.

Has anyone done anything with their muffler?

Wayne

I had mine done not too long ago back in July. I had all the piping replaced from the cat and back. I went with a custom 2.5" mandrel bent piping with a Flowmaster series 50 Delta flow muffler. It gives it an aggressive sound to the van. It's pretty quiet for the most part until it's under load. Also, I have the biggest resonator in place that I can get to help tame some of the exhaust noise down as well. At the end, I finished it off with a 3.5" chrome exhaust tip for the more aggressive look, but not to a point that it looks like a coffee can. Everything tucked under nicely and it cleared my hitch as well.
Performance wise, I have noticed a difference in the way it reacts and performs, but I don't have actual dyno numbers to back that up with. I'm going to say that it gained about 5 - 8 hp at the most if that. I know in certain areas where I the Ody had to gear down more so to stay within the speed I'm going, it seems to handle it much better now. Also, it didn't increase my mileage by much if any. I believe that I may have gained 1 mpg if that.

To add to that, my mileage has been really bad lately. I'm thinking that the EGR valve issue is causing the problem. Up to that point, my van had been pulling an avg. of 25 mpg on the highway and 18-20 mixed city and highway. Now, I get low 20's and 13-14 mixed.

What do you think Wayne? Is that more than likely the culprit? I was having the hesitating problems, but now it's not doing it. That's when my mileage started the downward decline and it hasn't been better since. I haven't gotten a chance to take it in for the TSB yet.

G

·
type_rracing said:
I had mine done not too long ago back in July. I had all the piping replaced from the cat and back. I went with a custom 2.5" mandrel bent piping with a Flowmaster series 50 Delta flow muffler. It gives it an aggressive sound to the van. It's pretty quiet for the most part until it's under load. Also, I have the biggest resonator in place that I can get to help tame some of the exhaust noise down as well. At the end, I finished it off with a 3.5" chrome exhaust tip for the more aggressive look, but not to a point that it looks like a coffee can. Everything tucked under nicely and it cleared my hitch as well.
Performance wise, I have noticed a difference in the way it reacts and performs, but I don't have actual dyno numbers to back that up with. I'm going to say that it gained about 5 - 8 hp at the most if that. I know in certain areas where I the Ody had to gear down more so to stay within the speed I'm going, it seems to handle it much better now. Also, it didn't increase my mileage by much if any. I believe that I may have gained 1 mpg if that.

To add to that, my mileage has been really bad lately. I'm thinking that the EGR valve issue is causing the problem. Up to that point, my van had been pulling an avg. of 25 mpg on the highway and 18-20 mixed city and highway. Now, I get low 20's and 13-14 mixed.

What do you think Wayne? Is that more than likely the culprit? I was having the hesitating problems, but now it's not doing it. That's when my mileage started the downward decline and it hasn't been better since. I haven't gotten a chance to take it in for the TSB yet.
That sounds nice. I was going to forego the cat-back part just because the OEM exhaust looked pretty well engineered. I guess in my mind the extra couple of horsepower from a larger pipe didn't offset my concerns about losing some low end torque, not to mention the extra cost.

There seem to be lots of muffler/resonator options. At this point, I'd be more willing to go less restrictive on the muffler and spend some time putting in sound insulation underneath all of the interior carpeting. I really like the way our van looks hunkered down with the H&R springs, so I guess a new exhaust wouldn't be all that out of place. Gotta stay a kid at heart.

We had the EGR stumbles when the van was new, but they disappeared after a year or so and never came back. Our mileage didn't go down, though. It's hard to figure out that much of a decrease in mileage without you throwing an emissions code of some sort. Can you have a dealer service the EGR to see if that restores your mileage? If so, that'll something that might help lots of people here (WW, are you listening?).

Would you be able to take a picture of your exhaust setup from ground level behind your Ody? I'd really appreciate it!

Wayne

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Our faux dual exhaust system has been completely trouble free. :stupid:

Jerry O.

G

·
hachiroku said:
Mark (MGians) replaced his muffler a few years ago. I forgot what he has. Shoot him a PM. :)
Thanks. I'll do that, but it looks like he hasn't been on since August. Must be enjoying the last of the summer. . .

Wayne

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there,

I have a 97 ody witha F23A 2.3L, It already has a cat back exhaust. Today I added a short intake pipe and a cone type filter.

At idle it sounds stock unless you are standing next to the bonnet wherea hiss can be heard. When driving it sounds stock until you nail it. At that point there is a sweet sounding induction roar. Performance has been improved by a few horsepower. The first test run after fitting netted alot of wheel spinning which had been impossible before!! So I guess that means there is a bit more mumbo :cool: I also added a front strut bar.

The kit I bought had all the clips and hoses that I needed and the overall job to fit the intake system and the strut brace took an hour.

Check the pic ... see what you think ..

Cheers

KiWiOdY

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts