Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just realized I needed to have this maintenance done and it couldn't have some at a worst time financially. I have the following estimates from a garage that is highly rated online. I just moved, so don't know anyone or any reputable mechanics. Should I look for additional estimates? Thx!

Timing Belt - $650
Spark Plugs - $200
Transmission Fluid Change - $60
Oil Change - $30

My 2005 Ody has almost 110K miles on it (lots and lots of highway miles).

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well, I'd get the oil and tranny fluid change. I doubt the plugs or the timing belt is going to go any time soon. It might, but chances are it will be OK for a while, as long as you schedule the maintenance and eventually do it. The computer that recommends the maintenance uses a math problem based on your driving history - so its a guessitmate. And highway driving is easier than other types.

Plugs can go far these days, I waited until about 140 to replace on my Oldsmobile.

I'd add that you might want to bleed the brakes with fresh fluid if you have not done that in a long time, as the fluid adsorbs water and can cause corrosion, and that is cheap insurance.

Also, the routine on the timing belt is also to do other maintenance at the same time, like the water pump which is driven off the timing belt, and some seals for crankshaft for example. I am not an advocate of replacing these seals if they are still in good shape.

The cost quoted from my reading of the forum is very low, I wonder if they are doing any of the other things like waterpump - I doubt it. Its not a simple quick job from what I've read.

Good luck:)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
For the timing belt, what all are they replacing? You should replace the belt, the water pump, and the tensioner. Personally, I wouldn't skimp on the timing belt - it's probably not going to snap any time soon, but if it does, you have an interference engine, which means you will have damaged valves and possibly pistons as well...

for the plugs, you can pick up a set of Denso Iridium (should be OEM) for ~$70-80, so you're paying over $100 to do the install

The transmission fluid and oil change prices don't look out of line (assuming Honda ATF-Z1 for the transmission fluid)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
My brother lives in Durham NC and used this mechanic. He used to work for Honda and now works for Toyota dealer. See link below.

Great job and reasonable pricing.

Ask him for package deal.

If you do TB, you may as well replace all the parts in that compartment:
- Cam seals
- Crank seals
- TB
- All pulleys
- Tensioners
- WP

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/aos/1999068247.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts