Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seeing as how the 2011 has been available for a few months and it's a new generation with all the changes that go along with it, i figure there's not a huge knowledge base out there. which means as a group we'll be discovering the quirks and goodies the ody has to offer. this is assuming, of course, that honda has addressed issues from previous generations (fingers crossed)

i'm curious to know how many of us here in the 4th gen forum are new to the odyssey and if there's a good amount who have moved on from a previous odyssey.

i'm an odyssey newb, in fact i'm a minivan newb, and will be discovering all the nuances of the van while most likely breaking a few things along the way to "improving" it. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Coming from another Odyssey here.

I had a 2005 Honda Ody Touring before this one.

:D

·
Registered
69 Posts
newb here to odyssey and minivans.

looking forward to the miles ahead and making tweaks along the way too!

jksu

·
Registered
755 Posts
MySillyBoys said:
Coming from another Odyssey here.

I had a 2005 Honda Ody Touring before this one.

:D
haha hello my friend.

we've had a 05 ody touring and traded in for a 11 ody also!!

And we also have the same color touring elite too!! :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bought a 2003 EX-L w/RES in 2005, traded that in towards a 2008 EX-L w/RES lease, which was traded in for a 2011 EX-L w/RES lease. Each time we checked out the competition, and each time we came back to Honda.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm a total minivan newb... I promised I would never ever own a minivan. Boy kids to change everything;).

·
Registered
26 Posts
We love minivans. Have kept our 1997 Chrysler T&C in great shape, still running well - but it's time to "upgrade". We're awaiting delivery of an Odyssey Touring Elite.

So i guess that makes us Honda newbies.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Honda, and Ody newbie.

tl01 said:
I'm a total minivan newb... I promised I would never ever own a minivan. Boy kids to change everything;).
My DW was the same. We were lucky enough to use my parents' '98 Olds Silhouette for the summer before our 2nd child was born. DW was fighting the minivan that I knew we were destined for. The first day she drove the Olds she loved it. Now the '11 Ody is heaven.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am a total minivan newb. Never wanted one, but wife was always pushing. Decided for a one for one trade with my 2009 Audi Q7 for a 2011 touring elite. I am actually liking the space in the minivan and surprisingly not missing my Q7!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Newb

Ist time minivan owner with the 11 Touring. Never owned leather seats either. The manual just says soap water and I've read baby wipes work well with leather cleaning.
I'm cleaning the van later today and I'm tempted to spray a product like an armorall on the seats but would it dry out the leather over time?
Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i don't know about amourall. i think it may leave an oily residue. if you want to treat the leather seating, i've heard saddle conditioner works well. you know, for horse riding saddles.

and i don't know about the ody, but some cars' leather seats aren't all leather, only the seating surfaces with the side and rear panels made of some sort of vinyl. i don't know that those will absorb much conditioner and will probably just make it slick.

·
Registered
197 Posts
vqdriver said:
and i don't know about the ody, but some cars' leather seats aren't all leather, only the seating surfaces with the side and rear panels made of some sort of vinyl. i don't know that those will absorb much conditioner and will probably just make it slick.
You are correct. Only the parts of the seats that touch your body are leather. Everything else is vinyl. Also, the entire 3rd row seats are vinyl, no leather.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We have a 2006 Touring and now a 2011 Touring Elite. No other cars.

I used to drag race Camaros and autocross my STi, and my husband used to road race his S4. We sold the STi and S4 when we bought the 2006.

We have no children.

Something is wrong with this picture, right? :)

I hope those of you with kids aren't feeling as bad about owning a minivan now.
Oh, and I am still in my 20s :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
^^^^ You wouldn't happen to have a "if the van's a rockin', don't come a knockin'" sticker on them, do you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
New to 2011 EX-L RES (a week today) and former owner of 2007 Toyota Sienna. Sienna was my first minivan which I swore I'd never own prior to kids. Now, I can't imagine life without one. You never know when you may need to haul more than a car can.

Loving the Honda more each day!

·
Registered
786 Posts
thomcatbob said:
New to 2011 EX-L RES (a week today) and former owner of 2007 Toyota Sienna. Sienna was my first minivan which I swore I'd never own prior to kids. Now, I can't imagine life without one. You never know when you may need to haul more than a car can.

Loving the Honda more each day!

This is the first time I have EVER heard of a 2nd Gen Sienna being traded for a 2011 Ody. What made you switch, from what I have seen its been going the other way.

gr2659 said:

Oh, and I am still in my 20s :)
I can guarantee your not the youngest here......were you in your teens when you joined?

·
Registered
118 Posts
gr2659 said:
We have a 2006 Touring and now a 2011 Touring Elite. No other cars.

I used to drag race Camaros and autocross my STi, and my husband used to road race his S4. We sold the STi and S4 when we bought the 2006.
Further explanation is definitely warranted. I can understand one but two???? There must be some other toys in the garage to make up for it.

We have always had minivans which started with a new Chrysler in 1990. We had five Chrysler's in the last 20 years with the latest being a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan. While looking for a new vehicle for my wife we test drove the 2011 Odyssey and I knew we would end up with an Odyssey sooner or later. It turned out it was a lot sooner than I originally had planned. It is hard to surpass the utility of this vehicle while still offering an engaging driving experience, a comfortable ride, and decent mileage.

While shopping we investigated every potential vehicle and physically looked at over 50 cars, vans, and SUV's. We test drove over a dozen before we ended up with an Accord Crosstour and two weeks later a new Odyssey. Both these vehicles stood out from the pack.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cntrtwnltd said:
This is the first time I have EVER heard of a 2nd Gen Sienna being traded for a 2011 Ody. What made you switch, from what I have seen its been going the other way.

I can garuntee your not the youngest here......were you in your teens when you joined?
actually a few friends of mine have done the same and/or considering...older gen sienna --> ody

main complaint is poor interior of the sienna

·
Registered
463 Posts
Not a newb here. We skipped a generation, trading our 2004 EX for a 2011. We never really came close to buying another brand, but I did drive a Sienna. My wife really just wanted another Odyssey, and I did not mind. With the van's seats out, I can haul my motorcycle (if I take the mirrors off) and pieces of sheetrock and plywood if I ever do another project.

ftahir, You really got your money's worth, with 10 years between trades. Way to go.

McDonagh, Armorall? You paid $40k for the van, maybe you want to spend a few extra dollars and buy some real leather treatment. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts