Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone regularly use 3rd gear for city driving? Honda's been using this setup for years and I've previously owned 2 other Hondas with a similar transmission. I naturally throw the lever into 4th and drive everywhere like that but if I can remember, I'll put it into 3rd while driving in the city. Depending on your speed, there is definately more torque during acceleration. I'm guessing that you could probably increase your gas mileage by staying out of the "bogging" 4th gear at such a low rpm.

Does anyone else recall reading that you can drive the van like a manual and shift though the gears while driving? I've tried it but my left foot keeps slipping off the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rook:
Does anyone regularly use 3rd gear for city driving? Honda's been using this setup for years and I've previously owned 2 other Hondas with a similar transmission. I naturally throw the lever into 4th and drive everywhere like that but if I can remember, I'll put it into 3rd while driving in the city. Depending on your speed, there is definately more torque during acceleration. I'm guessing that you could probably increase your gas mileage by staying out of the "bogging" 4th gear at such a low rpm.

Does anyone else recall reading that you can drive the van like a manual and shift though the gears while driving? I've tried it but my left foot keeps slipping off the clutch pedal.
</font>
I try to use D3 in stop and go traffic. Doesn't make much sense to be in D4. Gotta be careful though. The critics of the Ody's shifter are right. It's very easy to slip past the intended drive letter. The column shifter is an ergonomic boo boo. Making it shorter would require more effort, but it would be out of the way and less likely to go past the desired gear. Anyone thought of taking a hacksaw to it?

------------------
'01 SS Honda Odyssey EX
'99 F150 XL Supercab
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gram_parsons:
I try to use D3 in stop and go traffic. Doesn't make much sense to be in D4.
</font>
I haven't received my Odyssey yet so I'm not familiar with it's transmission shift points but it seems to me that if you're in stop & go traffic, you're not likely to get going fast enough to have to worry about the van getting to 4th gear so D3 or D4 would make very little difference.

OTOH, gram_parsons, I noticed that you made a relatively strong comment in the "fuel mileage" discussion on how bad your gas mileage was. With respects, if you're driving around in D3 and not taking advantage of that overdrive 4th gear, that would explain you're below average gas mileage on your Odyssey. Granted, the van won't be as responsive in that mode when you step down on the gas peddle but unfortunately, we can't have it both ways.

Just a thought,
Drive Safe,
Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Would you believe I'm a second-gear driver? Let me explain. I live on an Air Force base where the maximum speed limit is 30 mph. So, usually when I'm driving around the base, I put the lever in 2. The vehicle starts out in 2nd so there is no shifting whatsoever. In the winter, starting in 2nd results in less wheelspin. I haven't noticed any change in mileage since I started doing this. It occured to me that there was a lot of unnecessary shifting taking place when I was on base. Might help the transmission last longer, probably won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jazzfan:
Would you believe I'm a second-gear driver? </font>
Jazzfan, what is mpg with the 2nd-gear driving ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I find I never slip the shifter into D3 if I just pull the lever forward while shifting. It would stop dead right on D4. Maybe Honda was actually thinking, not too thoughtfully, after all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I get a lot of highway driving (in 4th of course!) mixed in with my base driving (base is 20 miles from nearest town) so I really don't know what my mileage is when driving on base. I average about 21 mpg overall (this is a 4 cyl 95 Odyssey). I'm pretty happy with the around-town mileage, but my best highway mileage (at 70 mph) is only about 25 to 26. I have heard of 4 cyl Odys getting in the low 30s on the highway; I have never been close to that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts