Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am for the most part! Quite a tribute to them that they are so durable. It has not been easy, or all that cheap - I've have four transmissions and a good bit of other expense (power sliding doors, cats, EGR, power stearing total leak recently) but definitely worth it I feel. Just about all my friends and relatives don't understand though, why I would keep it so long. I don't think I have ever had to do any ecxhaust work other than deal with the bogus P0420 cat codes that cause it to fail emission inspection.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am for the most part! Quite a tribute to them that they are so durable. It has not been easy, or all that cheap - I've have four transmissions and a good bit of other expense (power sliding doors, cats, EGR, power stearing total leak recently) but definitely worth it I feel. Just about all my friends and relatives don't understand though, why I would keep it so long. I don't think I have ever had to do any ecxhaust work other than deal with the bogus P0420 cat codes that cause it to fail emission inspection.
I agree, I see so many Gen 2 still on the road(a lot of them quite beat up but still going), I have had my EX-L RES for just about a year but am quite familiar with them as my uncle has had his 04 since new and he loves it, he has a Lexus LS460 and 2017 Audi Q7 but the whole family still prefer the Ody as it is so damn comfortable to drive and sit in, all their long trips are in the Ody and that's why I bought mine. Also my other relative has his 04 since new too which he bought after my uncle and he still has his and dailies to this day. No one has plans to replace theirs in the near future. If I were to describe it, it is the BMW of minivans, it's sporty, comfy, fairly reliable and so easy to drive once you get use to it; also fairly good looking if maintained.

Yes mine is Grey/sage brush, Uncle's is midnight blue(repainted due to peeling), relative's is Silver like most lol

·
Registered
727 Posts
2001, original owner. Worst, transmission ever !!!. (on number 4). Had all of the "usual" issues/problems.
What I like, is, I can fold the rear seats down, remove the 2 center seats. Now. the "bed" is really flat.

Makes, trips to Home depot, (lumber, ladders, etc), Costco, (TV'S), IKEA (furniture, etc), a breeze to haul.

But, that tranny issue, real pain in the but. And Honda Corp, never did fix the problem. Just "delayed' till we all
gave up. (and came to this forum, to find help). :) Oh, mine is sliver.

·
Registered
998 Posts
3rd owner of my '02. My brother had the transmission repaired by an independent shop a year before I got it. Great for hauling, easy to put my bike in and out.
Mine is grime colored.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
708 Posts
245K on my '01 before hit and totaled, 342K on '04 before totaled, and currently driving a '03 with 229K on it. All with original drive trains and trannys and of course, all silver as noted!! They are incredibly durable vehicles if maintained. Other than the '01, bought used for very little $ and drive the heck out of them. Also driving a '07 that was bought used.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here in NY, we surprisingly see quite a few "gold" second gen's. Our daughters started calling them "twins" to our "gold" 03. And the silvers are "sisters". It's so funny that once you get a car, you notice how many other people have the same one - when you never noticed before.

Reactions: Pinkdivaisme

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have the granite green metallic, which is really a charcoal gray, which I think is the color you all must be talking about. I see much fewer of the lighter silver ones. We had to memorize the license plate number long ago to find it in a parking lot!

I guess I am not the only one to consider it worthwhile to keep replacing transmissions! I am jealous of those who never had to do that, and that is the main reason I am so surprised to see them on the road, the transmission problem.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
purchased our 2004 new Feb 04. 164K miles. No real issues other than the stupid motor mounts, fan switch (easy DIY) placement, rear windows not working, and now I have a cv boot beginning to leak grease. Tranny has been fine. Agree with comment that it’s reasonably reliable, never stranded us and just keeps going... and yes, there are lots of them still on the road!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
We have a white 04 with 312K miles on the clock and my friends and I are definitely impressed with how reliable it has been and at the number of second gens we still see out on the road. It is a testament to Honda engineering and I also think it points to the transmission problem being over represented on this forum. It has been a challenge finding white gen 2s at the pick'n'pulls so we (my friends) always joke that they made the white ones more reliable.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sounds like they made some much needed transmission improvements mid-cycle, so that goes a long way toward explaining why you still see so many on the road.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also didn’t really think about it being a pretty long 6 year cycle. I was thinking of the accords from the same era which I think was maybe 98-02.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
It sounds like they made some much needed transmission improvements mid-cycle, so that goes a long way toward explaining why you still see so many on the road.
Correct. NHTSA directed Honda to make at least three important engineering changes to the BYBA 5-speed transmission (found in the 2002-2004 Odysseys) aimed at increasing third clutch longevity. This essentially completely transformed that piece of running gear into something that could last as long as the rest of the van.

Until that point, it was entirely possible to manufacture that transmission with an incorrectly oriented port plug along with a bearing and washer which would together reduce ATF flow into the third clutch by nearly 1/3. There are still a lot of 2004's on the roads as a result of these changes. How about 2002-through-early 2004 vans still on the road with an original transmission? Just luck that at least two items were done "correctly" during manufacture of the transmission core (port plug orientation, and choosing either an NTN or Trinton bearing).

OF

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Correct. NHTSA directed Honda to make at least three important engineering changes to the BYBA 5-speed transmission (found in the 2002-2004 Odysseys) aimed at increasing third clutch longevity. This essentially completely transformed that piece of running gear into something that could last as long as the rest of the van.

Until that point, it was entirely possible to manufacture that transmission with an incorrectly oriented port plug along with a bearing and washer which would together reduce ATF flow into the third clutch by nearly 1/3. There are still a lot of 2004's on the roads as a result of these changes. How about 2002-through-early 2004 vans still on the road with an original transmission? Just luck that at least two items were done "correctly" during manufacture of the transmission core (port plug orientation, and choosing either an NTN or Trinton bearing).

OF
Wow, you really know your odyssey transmissions! BYBA? Bring Your Bitchin’ Away?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm, From wikipedia, the B7XA was from 99-02, and from me, it was the real stinker!

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
As far as I know, the B7XA was not used in the 99-02 Odysseys (North American version). The N.A. version Odyssey used the B7TA four-speed, and only in model years 1999 through 2001. I owned a 2001 in Starlight Silver Metallic. Bro', I wish I'd never sold it. :( My 2003 EX is not a demonstrably better vehicle for my uses.

BYBA 5-speed used in the 2002 through 2004 Odysseys used a common transmission core, designated by Honda as "H5". This transmission core was used in multiple Acura and Honda vehicles. A significant number of Honda & Acura models using that five-speed transmission core shared that same set of 3rd clutch defects (multiple impediments to 3rd clutch ATF flow and incorrect surface finishing of 3rd clutch steels).

The NHTSA report (many hundreds of pages long, with diagrams) on Honda's findings also outlined the directed engineering changes Honda accomplished early in the 2004 Odyssey model year (and also for Acura CL and TL vehicles). The lawsuits and transmission replacements performed by Honda, and multiple lemon law suits put a flaming spear into Honda's reliability reputation that took many years for them to overcome.

Our two ancient Odysseys run well on anything but Honda ATF (we've been Valvoline MaxLife ATF and AmSOil Signature Series ATF users for hundreds of thousands of miles). Also, both have Tru-Cool ATF coolers. Combined total of 400,000 miles on the original running gear...and eternally keeping my fingers crossed.

Ralph, if you have a 2004 Ody with VIN after 5FNRL18...4B051620 (i.e., numerically greater than 51620 for the last 5 characters), you win. Transmission case port plug correctly timed, 3rd clutch thrust washer and thrust bearing with ATF flow groove at proper radial timing, and correctly machined 3rd clutch pack steels.

2004 Ody owners with VIN's in that "safe" range don't want to sell them, and they are still trucking. (y) There are a lot of them still on the road, along with many other Gen 2's that won the "3rd clutch pack assembly roulette".

OF

Reactions: ulbhpy

·
Registered
191 Posts
2004 Ody owners with VIN's in that "safe" range don't want to sell them, and they are still trucking. (y) There are a lot of them still on the road, along with many other Gen 2's that won the "3rd clutch pack assembly roulette".
You are correct, no 2004's have showed up in the past year on my internet search engine for locally owned vans.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just washed and waxed mine... here are some pics I took this afternoon to show it off a bit. I was lucky to find mine cheap in decent shape a year ago and I did invest some hours cleaning it up and it came out pretty nice, the previous owners seemed to had given up on it in terms of cleanliness when I got it as they had a brand new Ody to replace this one. It was just sitting outside for weeks and the paint looked quite dull in the first impression, but I knew it will come out pretty nice with some TLC, 176k on mine currently and she just got some new synthetic oil a couple days back.

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just washed and waxed mine... here are some pics I took this afternoon to show it off a bit. I was lucky to find mine cheap in decent shape a year ago and I did invest some hours cleaning it up and it came out pretty nice, the previous owners seemed to had given up on it in terms of cleanliness when I got it as they had a brand new Ody to replace this one. It was just sitting outside for weeks and the paint looked quite dull in the first impression, but I knew it will come out pretty nice with some TLC, 176k on mine currently and she just got some new synthetic oil a couple days back.
very nice man, I'm still in the process of learning to repaint and repair the body on mine. mine should look brand new on the outside once I'm done, but since it's winter I put the painting on hold. I still need to replace the carpets and right now learning how to install receivers, house batteries, solar panels, security cameras, diesel heaters, etc they even have itx motherboards to make your own car PC straight off 12V. i'm trying to figure out a way to stick in a 4-8 camera security system in it right now. I think I found a way

1 - 20 of 40 Posts