Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
very nice man, I'm still in the process of learning to repaint and repair the body on mine. mine should look brand new on the outside once I'm done, but since it's winter I put the painting on hold. I still need to replace the carpets and right now learning how to install receivers, house batteries, solar panels, security cameras, diesel heaters, etc they even have itx motherboards to make your own car PC straight off 12V. i'm trying to figure out a way to stick in a 4-8 camera security system in it right now. I think I found a way
Nice, good luck man and do share the details once you do it. All I do with mine is wash and wax it, polish it in some areas, cleaned the carpets out with all purpose cleaner, also scrubbed all the leather seats and they look like new now. On the outside, there are some little door dings and scratches visible when you are right next to it and try to look for it, from other idiots hitting my car with their doors; that's why I try to park in the corner and away from where people can hit it, it's no Ferrari but for me, every car I own, for that period get treated like a Ferrari because I want it to look nice and not like a beater. Luckily, all the cars I have has were from early 2000s but they all were in great shape cosmetically and also well maintained. With the shape my car is in right now and the time I invested in TLC, I am keeping it at least another two years, just wish me luck on the tranny lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As far as I know, the B7XA was not used in the 99-02 Odysseys (North American version). The N.A. version Odyssey used the B7TA four-speed, and only in model years 1999 through 2001. I owned a 2001 in Starlight Silver Metallic. Bro', I wish I'd never sold it. :( My 2003 EX is not a demonstrably better vehicle for my uses.

BYBA 5-speed used in the 2002 through 2004 Odysseys used a common transmission core, designated by Honda as "H5". This transmission core was used in multiple Acura and Honda vehicles. A significant number of Honda & Acura models using that five-speed transmission core shared that same set of 3rd clutch defects (multiple impediments to 3rd clutch ATF flow and incorrect surface finishing of 3rd clutch steels).

The NHTSA report (many hundreds of pages long, with diagrams) on Honda's findings also outlined the directed engineering changes Honda accomplished early in the 2004 Odyssey model year (and also for Acura CL and TL vehicles). The lawsuits and transmission replacements performed by Honda, and multiple lemon law suits put a flaming spear into Honda's reliability reputation that took many years for them to overcome.

Our two ancient Odysseys run well on anything but Honda ATF (we've been Valvoline MaxLife ATF and AmSOil Signature Series ATF users for hundreds of thousands of miles). Also, both have Tru-Cool ATF coolers. Combined total of 400,000 miles on the original running gear...and eternally keeping my fingers crossed.

Ralph, if you have a 2004 Ody with VIN after 5FNRL18...4B051620 (i.e., numerically greater than 51620 for the last 5 characters), you win. Transmission case port plug correctly timed, 3rd clutch thrust washer and thrust bearing with ATF flow groove at proper radial timing, and correctly machined 3rd clutch pack steels.

2004 Ody owners with VIN's in that "safe" range don't want to sell them, and they are still trucking. (y) There are a lot of them still on the road, along with many other Gen 2's that won the "3rd clutch pack assembly roulette".

OF
Just checked the VIN on mine. I knew it was built in 01/04. It was like checking a lottery ticket.
But, good news: 5900 units greater than the number posted. Woohoo
[also not that roughly 6000 units built in Jan 04 are ECN Transmissions. Therefore, if you check inside
the door and your guild is after Jan, probably OK]

Just bought this one with some diy value built in. It's raining, I think it's starting to look burgundy.

Last '04 was silver, and took it from 210k to 330k miles when some old veteran turned left from a middle lane and drove over the front end with his dually. Thankfully nobody was seriously hurt.
But, I wonder how many miles it would have gone. The maintenance list on that fellow was appearing greater than
buying a different one with lower miles. So, I started to wean it off of oil changes. It had 30k miles on the last oil
filter, and the oil was still rather honey color. I added 3 quarts in that last 30k miles.
[Presumed Maintenance: Timing+H20, Tie rods, Tires, Auto Doors, engine mounts (again?)].
Vehicle cost to begin: $2000. Miles yielded: 120k.

In '02 my girlfriend had a Civic, and I was always perplexed at why she was enamored with such a spartan
vehicle.
When my buddy and I went to check out the latest van, he heckled my about the red/burgundy color.
But, when we saw the doors were manual open and close, we saw the value: No Automatic Door Mechanisms to fix+
100lbs less gear dragged around for the first 200k miles of its life.
So, these things are really great for how cheap and easy to maintain. The spartan design pays dividends in
the long run.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My uncle’s 04 was manufactured in 1/04 too and his last vin digits are 66... and yeah he is on his original tranny and doesn’t want to get rid of it anytime soon. On the other hand, my other relatives is an 04 bought in August of 04 but his last digits start at 15.... so does that mean his was manufactured in late 03 and was sitting on the lot of nearly a year?? Unlikely for these as they were selling like crazy... what do you think?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hey this sounds like an advert, but it was with Odyfamily's help that we identified most of the root causes of the 5 speed and possibly the 4 speed automatic transmission failure, for 5 speed it's usually the 3rd clutch assembly, for 4 speed it is the 2nd clutch pack I am *guessing since that is what people complain about. I have articles on here explaining how to fix the transmission, also on youtube if you search channel "eksine" I have 29 videos on how to rebuild the 5 speed trans and other videos showing what a destroyed 3rd clutch looks like and another vid showing how to remove the transmission. And yes the major cause for teh 5 speed is "washer ABCD", a selective part, it's all detailed in my how to articles on this forum

Just checked the VIN on mine. I knew it was built in 01/04. It was like checking a lottery ticket.
But, good news: 5900 units greater than the number posted. Woohoo
[also not that roughly 6000 units built in Jan 04 are ECN Transmissions. Therefore, if you check inside
the door and your guild is after Jan, probably OK]

Just bought this one with some diy value built in. It's raining, I think it's starting to look burgundy.

Last '04 was silver, and took it from 210k to 330k miles when some old veteran turned left from a middle lane and drove over the front end with his dually. Thankfully nobody was seriously hurt.
But, I wonder how many miles it would have gone. The maintenance list on that fellow was appearing greater than
buying a different one with lower miles. So, I started to wean it off of oil changes. It had 30k miles on the last oil
filter, and the oil was still rather honey color. I added 3 quarts in that last 30k miles.
[Presumed Maintenance: Timing+H20, Tie rods, Tires, Auto Doors, engine mounts (again?)].
Vehicle cost to begin: $2000. Miles yielded: 120k.

In '02 my girlfriend had a Civic, and I was always perplexed at why she was enamored with such a spartan
vehicle.
When my buddy and I went to check out the latest van, he heckled my about the red/burgundy color.
But, when we saw the doors were manual open and close, we saw the value: No Automatic Door Mechanisms to fix+
100lbs less gear dragged around for the first 200k miles of its life.
So, these things are really great for how cheap and easy to maintain. The spartan design pays dividends in
the long run.

·
Registered
500 Posts
sorry for this repeat but if you or your uncle wants to learn exactly how to rebuild that transmission, just search what I told him up there. I have how to articles for the transmission on here, and I have 29 videos showing most of how to rebuild this 5 speed transmission on youtube.

My uncle’s 04 was manufactured in 1/04 too and his last vin digits are 66... and yeah he is on his original tranny and doesn’t want to get rid of it anytime soon. On the other hand, my other relatives is an 04 bought in August of 04 but his last digits start at 15.... so does that mean his was manufactured in late 03 and was sitting on the lot of nearly a year?? Unlikely for these as they were selling like crazy... what do you think?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The hypothesis stated earlier by Odfamily is that the VIN Threshold for the ECN [engineering change notice] is 51620, and therefore anything sequentially after that includes the changed assembly.
Ostensibly sounds logical, and therefore agreeable.

Your observation seems to be counter to the hypothesis, as your data has a 15,xxx unit with an August purchase date.
However, the data to check first would be on the lower B-Pillar when you open the driver's door. It will have a month for Build date [not guild date as I previously noted].

My friend and I argued it a bit about your riddle, and guessed that your uncle's car may have an August of 03 build. And, it may sit on the lot for some time.

But, all speculation.
Getting that data from the inside of the door will help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey this sounds like an advert, but it was with Odyfamily's help that we identified most of the root causes of the 5 speed and possibly the 4 speed automatic transmission failure, for 5 speed it's usually the 3rd clutch assembly, for 4 speed it is the 2nd clutch pack I am *guessing since that is what people complain about. I have articles on here explaining how to fix the transmission, also on youtube if you search channel "eksine" I have 29 videos on how to rebuild the 5 speed trans and other videos showing what a destroyed 3rd clutch looks like and another vid showing how to remove the transmission. And yes the major cause for teh 5 speed is "washer ABCD", a selective part, it's all detailed in my how to articles on this forum
Thanks for the tip.
Was hoping that I will never have to have the joy of the project you describe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The hypothesis stated earlier by Odfamily is that the VIN Threshold for the ECN [engineering change notice] is 51620, and therefore anything sequentially after that includes the changed assembly.
Ostensibly sounds logical, and therefore agreeable.

Your observation seems to be counter to the hypothesis, as your data has a 15,xxx unit with an August purchase date.
However, the data to check first would be on the lower B-Pillar when you open the driver's door. It will have a month for Build date [not guild date as I previously noted].

My friend and I argued it a bit about your riddle, and guessed that your uncle's car may have an August of 03 build. And, it may sit on the lot for some time.

But, all speculation.
Getting that data from the inside of the door will help.
Edit: So I had some time on my hands now and I looked at different 04 odysseys for sale online and I have access to Autocheck so I ran 04 Ody vins to see entry into service dates and the ones 10000-20000 went into service in Oct. or Nov 03 so they are 04 but manufactured in late 03, but the ones 50000-up went into service in early to mid 04 so they are manufactured in early 04 and have better trannys. So my relatives Ody was manufactured in Oct or Nov 03 and sold almost a year later after sitting on lot(surprising to see them sit that long), that one probably has the defective tranny.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Thanks for the tip.
Was hoping that I will never have to have the joy of the project you describe.
yes "joy". if I didn't shoot the videos I would have gotten it done sooner, but than nobody else would know and I'd have no record of it. the removal was probably 3 months and the reinstall of the trans was another 3 months, the rebuild of the trans itself was 5 months, again the delay was because of camera recording time included. I spent countless hours on it and I work like 12 hour shifts / 5 days a week too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bought our 2004 for a work van about 4 yrs ago. Has been serving us great! Multiple startups all day long.

We got one with the "factory updated" transmission thankfully and it had been flawless. Bought it with 200k kms and we are now at 281k kms. Im wondering how much longer it will go. Has a few bumps and scrapes.

Work done has included: timing belt, oil changes, transmission drain and fills with maxlife, kyb shocks and struts, brakes, a thermostat, coolant flush and the only unforseen repair was the ignition cylinder getting stuck. Had to swap that out. Oh and only one power sliding door works.

I am shocked its still running. Our mechanic did not seat the thermostat in its housing correctly and it lost all of its coolant while driving one time. My dad was driving for work and did not realize all the coolant had leaked out slowly over the course of a few days. He was wondering why it was stuttering and missing randomly and having trouble starting between his service jobs. Temp gauge showed middle for some reason. At that point, he just left it idling at customers homes for the rest of the day. Drove straight to the dealership and left it idling for 30 minutes to try and get a tech to have a look. No luck, he drove it home. Decided to check the coolant and it was empty. Realizing what was happening, he dumped some coolant into the rad. Im shocked he didnt do any damage because as he describes, the cloud of steam was something to look at lol.

He shut it off, got a leaf blower and cooled the engine down. Replaced the thermostat properly and refilled it with coolant. When i got home from school, i made sure to change the oil. And we started it back up. Drove mint. That was 3 years and around 60k kms ago. Im shocked the headgasket didnt let go. It doesnt burn a drop of coolant or oil.

I am still absolutely flabbergasted to this day. It drives so well. We have had thoughts of trading it in on a new odyssey or a sienna awd, but we dont want to let this one go!

·
Registered
24 Posts
2002 here with 250k miles on the original trans. Been in the family since new.

I called the dealership in town a few months back to see if it had ever had any transmission work done aside from maintenance and apparently there was a transmission recall that involved installing a second gear oil jet to help with issues.

Since ownership I have been much better at trans fluid replacement intervals and at 240k miles I installed a transmission cooler to help out. Its been a very reliable vehicle for the most part.

·
Registered
500 Posts
2002 here with 250k miles on the original trans. Been in the family since new.

I called the dealership in town a few months back to see if it had ever had any transmission work done aside from maintenance and apparently there was a transmission recall that involved installing a second gear oil jet to help with issues.

Since ownership I have been much better at trans fluid replacement intervals and at 240k miles I installed a transmission cooler to help out. Its been a very reliable vehicle for the most part.
there's also a replaceable trans oil filter at the top of the transmission hidden under the battery tray. changing that will prolong the life of your transmission too. you can change it as often as you like, the more the better. once a year or other year, etc or whatever. it's $40 oem

·
Registered
287 Posts
Until this summer, when it appears that there was a local 99-01 culling, there were absolutely tons of 2nd gens running around - like often we would be 1 of 3 at a stoplight (dozens of cars, 12 lanes, not like in Tucson, where a stoplight could be 22 stopped lanes and over well over 300 cars at the light)
But ours saved lives, and I think many other 99-01 trannys gave out and got towed away.
I think it is by far the best looking van body that has ever been designed. I know I'm not alone, and I think that has something to do with why so many remain on the road.

·
Registered
24 Posts
there's also a replaceable trans oil filter at the top of the transmission hidden under the battery tray. changing that will prolong the life of your transmission too. you can change it as often as you like, the more the better. once a year or other year, etc or whatever. it's $40 oem
Yep. replaced that as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m surprise still have a lot of 99-04 odyssey running out there. My wife’s is a silver with grey interior with 31200 miles and still running strong. Like my wife alway says, “Oh, there is my van.” Engine and transmission are still original.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Considering Honda produced almost 800,000 2nd Gens in the six-year run, a good number should still be on the road. My 02 is one of them. It only has 146k, but the paint is peeling, the shocks are going, and the safety features are wanting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Until this summer, when it appears that there was a local 99-01 culling, there were absolutely tons of 2nd gens running around - like often we would be 1 of 3 at a stoplight (dozens of cars, 12 lanes, not like in Tucson, where a stoplight could be 22 stopped lanes and over well over 300 cars at the light)
But ours saved lives, and I think many other 99-01 trannys gave out and got towed away.
I think it is by far the best looking van body that has ever been designed. I know I'm not alone, and I think that has something to do with why so many remain on the road.
Best looking, maybe. I like the looks of both of ours.
Comfort is what is appealing to me. After back surgery, I was able to ride home in the Ody with no discomfort. After several 1K plus trips, have no problems with pain.
Functionality is my favorite because my "work" van (02 Ody) can hold a 4 by 8 piece of plywood over the folded seats with no problem. The roof rack can hold real weight, unlike many other mini vans. The cargo area (seats removed) can hold quite a volume but the rear suspension is not designed to handle the extra weight. Air shocks help alot with the latter.
Once that you address the known transmission problems with well addressed fixes, this generation can tow a fair amount of trailer. Thanks Ody Club for the intelligent information that allowed me to fix those issues before they became a problem.
Structural strength is another advantage. I have had both rear end and front end impacts that were easily repaired. The rear end collision took out the 2007 Mercedes that hit me bumper to engine. I replaced the rear bumper frame piece, lift gate and the plastic. The van was still in alignment.
These are some of the reasons that I will try to keep my Gen 2 Odys on the road until they drop.
BTW, we also own a 1986 Accord (the 4 door Prelude). Another delightful vehicle to drive although it is getting harder to maintain at 34 years old. That one is more of a toy at this point.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Comfort is what is appealing to me. After back surgery, I was able to ride home in the Ody with no discomfort. After several 1K plus trips, have no problems with pain.
Functionality is my favorite because my "work" van (02 Ody) can hold a 4 by 8 piece of plywood over the folded seats with no problem. The roof rack can hold real weight, unlike many other mini vans. The cargo area (seats removed) can hold quite a volume but the rear suspension is not designed to handle the extra weight. Air shocks help alot with the latter.
Once that you address the known transmission problems with well addressed fixes, this generation can tow a fair amount of trailer. Thanks Ody Club for the intelligent information that allowed me to fix those issues before they became a problem.

These are some of the reasons that I will try to keep my Gen 2 Odys on the road until they drop.
Agreed. Our '03 is such a roomy, sturdy, useful, and attractive vehicle.
Another thing we will miss when we have to get a newer car is its comfort.
3rd gen and later have such far-forward head restraints! I was told by Honda dealer that their design came because it results in better crash safety/no whiplash. Meanwhile, it creates awful posture while driving.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts