Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see any specific 2002 driving experiences on the board yet, am I missing them??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks that's great, how bout a driving / handling comparison to the previous generation's?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hey you guys, stop with the verbose reviews. I'm having trouble keeping up....

-d

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Just came back from a couple hundred mile jaunt.

OK, everybody, put your Cartman hats on:

"Sweeeeeeeeeet......."

Seriously, I don't know how it compares to anything other than a Previa. But this baby is quiet. My wife sat behind me as I drove, and the CD player was on low, and we had a conversation at normal voice levels.

I didn't notice any tire noise at all. Michelin Symmetrys.

Climate control worked fine, but Friday brought out some doubts for me. I'll have to wait for some more 45 degree days to see if there's a problem or not.

Leather seats are nice. Bun warmers work great.

RES is highly cool. I've spent 25 years getting around just fine; I don't need NAV. I know where I am and where I'm going. But RES works, and works great. My 3 year old loved listening to his Thomas tape (for the ten millionth time) over the headphones while I listened to my CD up front.

Brought it back and gave it a bath. I usually prescribe P21-S for wheels, but I couldn't find any this time. Instead, I used Meguiar's all wheel cleaner. It's a purple spray-on and it works exactly like P21-S, and is every bit as effective.

Damn, but this thing is tall. Honda needs to build in boarding ladders for those of us needing to reach the roof every now and then.

I found a rough area on the hood. As this is a silver beast, I'm a tad worried. My wife isn't; she's convinced it's just adhesive left over from those plastic sheets they cover the car with during transport. She's probably right (it feels like overspray and it's on a smallish area; you can't really see it but you can feel it), but it didn't come off with soap and water. I'm hoping against hope that my dealer's prep department has just the method for taking it off without damaging the finish.

But if it's a bad paint job, I'll raise hell. $30K? No, you may not repaint my hood, thank you. And I don't believe that you can or will send me a factory-painted hood, either.

Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I now have 353Kms on my RedRock Pearl EX-L. Driving impressions - sure doesn't feel like a van - rides and handles just my Accord EX for most maneuvers - naturally it gives a fair bit on twisty on-ramps and fast corners. Seat-of-the-pants feel tells me that the Ody easily out accelerates my much lighter 150hp VTEC Accord. Power is always there and always smooth, lest you really step on it - then it drops down and really goes - given the brand new engine I have only done that once ...so far.
Braking is not overly impressive, but my reference is my Sentra SE - the first few times I drove the Sentra I just about went through the windshield - I have never encountered such a responsive brake pedal. Still the Ody has sped up my heart twice when I wasn't sure I estimated braking distance/pressure correctly.

Still trying find out where it ends - both ends. So far I have judged parking distances pretty well but it really has been luck - it'll just take a few more days.

Detailing it this weekend I am more and more impressed with the Red Rock Pearl - and the quality of the paint seems excellent. near-mirror reflections from all panels, and no rough spots that I encountered.

Frustration: I have had the van for 4 days and now I have to go away for 8 without it!
Oh well - it is gleaming without so much as a fingerprint, and I even cleared space in the garage. She is tucked in comfortably, and will be nice to return home to.

N

·
0 Posts
You don't need running boards, just open both rear doors and use the edge as steps, it even has extra large sills for you to do this. And congrats on you new Ody.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw in the paper today that crossing the Canadian border may take some time (hours?).
Has anyone got word from their dealership that there may be any substancial delays?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had an extended test drive in a '02 EX. I currently have a '00 EX Nav and a '01 MDX Touring Nav.

The '02 Ody is quieter and smoother than the '00 Ody buy not as quiet or as smooth as the MDX.

The '02 Ody has great acceleration - faster than the MDX and obviously the '00 Ody. Where the '00 runs out of breadth past about 5000 rpm to redline, the '02 (like the MDX) keeps pulling closer to redline. Very nice.

The '02 Ody has better handling, response and feel than the '00 and is much closer to a car in behaviour and feel than the MDX. The suspension feels a bit taughter but not rough. The '00 suspension feels very week at the knees so to speak.

The brake feel on the MDX is still better among the three but I could not tell much difference in brake feel between the '02 and the '00 Odys.

The seats are only slightly better - the difference almost not noticeable.

The shifter feels a little better and easier to operate but I prefer the on the floor layout of the MDX. The inability to select between D4 and D5 means I get less control over the gear - not good. Nevertheless, the '02 transmission shifts are smoother than the '00- similar to the MDX. For some reason the MDX feels like it has a bit more low end torque - could be the difference in fuel requirement - MDX recommends Premium despite the same engine output figures as the '02 Ody.

Hope this helps. I forgot to try out the 3rd row magic seat to see if it is any easier/lighter to fold up or away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got word late last week that mine NAV would be delayed by about two weeks.

However, I talked directly to the factory (was looking for a tour...Nope!) and the rep said that they were only shut down for one day last week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Luv my 02 RP EX!! Now have 275 miles on it. Can't wait to fill it up to check the mileage. Did I really say that. As for reactions: plenty of acceleration, not as quiet as my 92 Toyo Camry, radio is very mediocre (Ok, I am going to upgrade...); Michelin tires are great--little road noise; red color is beautyfull and the paint job is perfect; radio antenna is cheap, the interior "quartz" is really kind of a cheap very grey color, but is ok, I guess; auto tranny is really smooth, auto climate a/c is also great; it is VERY hard to see when backing up (I will definitely get a reverse sensor warning system -- hopefully before I hit something); now here is a funny reaction -- I learned, by experience, that the alarm system is an audible alarm -- my dog set off the horn alarm by moving from one seat to another. It surprised him almost more than it did me! I am not sure how I am supposed to handle this. I want to leave the dog in the van, but leave it without locking it??? I doubt it... So...? What do I do?
Nick

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have seen a lot of messages praising the RP. I went to see one in the dealer today. It has just arrived, not cleaned yet, that may be th reason why I did not find it as shiny as other metallic color (is that why it being called pearl instead of metallic?). The interor grey (quartz) really turn me and my wife off. I really want to hear comment from those who has bought another new color this year, the evergreen pearl. It supposed to be lighter than the dark emerald green last year, and the interior is a happier, brighter ivory. Anyone has bought the evergreen/ivory leather ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of the reasons we chose the Redrock color was not only because we liked the exterior color but we liked the darker Quartz color over the Ivory. In our experience the Ivory will show dirt and stains more, and we didn't want to pay more for the leather.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi nickv..How big is your dog? I may have the same problem in the future. Right now, it's too hot to leave our dog in the van when it's parked in the sun, and shade trees in parking lots are rare!

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nickv1:
I learned, by experience, that the alarm system is an audible alarm Nick</font>
I'm not sure what you mean by an "audible alarm." Do you mean your dog barked, and it set the alarm off? I'm very curious about this too, as I leave my dog in the car occassionally. It would surprise me if there was a motion sensor in the alarm, since it is never mentioned. Anybody else know about the alarm?

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
32 Posts
JetJock. How did you get to talk to the factory? My dealer seemed appalled I would even ask for another phone # than theirs. They gave some # for customer relations that no one will answer. Not even an answering machine!!

Coincidentally, I grew up in Fort Fun.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Originally posted by nickv1:
Luv my 02 RP EX!! Now have 275 miles on it.

Hi nickv1,
Which dealer did you go for you Ody and how much did you pay? I'm from your neck of the woods and I am looking to get an Ody in about six months. Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts