Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year we take a 4-6 weeks for a monster roadtrip. The past two years have been from Arizona to New Hampshire/different routes/23 states. We are now thinking of taking our new 2002 EX to Alaska with our doggies this Summer. I would very much appreciate any guidance/experiences with the Vancouver to Alaska 'leg'...thx : )
On the flipside we have tons of info on things to do crossing on Hwy 10/40/70/80!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not aware of a road that directly connects Vancover with Alaska without taking a boat ride. I drove the Alaska Highway in 1979 and highly recommend it. There is so much to do along the way. There is publication that is updated every year that discribes all parts of the road and any side-trips you may want to take on. The Laird Hot Springs is one of those side-trips that is worth your while. Since the highway is paved now, I'm sure there will be no problems taking an Odyssey. The highway begins in Dawson City , B.C. and ends in Fairbanks. I travelled it in mid-May of that year and it was clear sailing all the way. One alternative trip is the "Klondike Loop" which goes through Dawson Creek. The ferry ride across the Yukon river is esspecially exciting. If you go, brush up on your Robert Service poetry. Good Luck!:D

·
Registered
628 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hello, just found your post asking about Alaska.

We live in Juneau and drove our Chevy pickup (which the Ody will replace) up from Seattle to catch the ferry at Skagway just a couple of weeks ago. I was pleased at how good the roads have become. There is very little traffic in March (maybe another car every 1/2 hour) and we were the slowest vehicle on the road while driving 75 mph much of the way. There are a number of stretches thru the mountains however that are much slower and you shouldn't plan on making the kind of miles per day you make in the lower 48.

Summer will be different however. We rode our tandem bike south from Fairbanks to Haines Junction, Yukon (about 500mi) last June and we passed what seemed like 500 RV's per day headed north. They came at us in bunches of 5-10 every few minutes all day long. So many honked and waved that we had to keep our heads down and ignore them or lose the use of our waving arms.

Finding your way thru Canada is no big deal but the previously mentioned Milepost improves the trip immensly. You'll know what is coming up and can enjoy it. On the RV's- everyone comes up in June and goes back in August so you shouldn't notice them nearly as much as we did if you do the same. They will slow you down however.

Go for it but don't let the Ody get much below half a tank. the road houses and service stations come and go in these parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Absolutely buy the "Alaska Milepost" we buy a new one every couple of years and use it all the time.
We took our Ody to Juneau last year, the alaska roads are rough (frost heaves) and the canadian roads were great. I would suggest that you have a regular spare tire.
Also in some area's services (gas, food, lodging) are far apart. I would definately plan for that. If you buy the milepost it will tell you what services are where such as gas stations, lodges, camping, etc. I drove the entire highway in about 1975, I'm sure it's changed a lot since then.
Lee Ann Stuart
Anchorage AK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts